Author Topic: Soliciting Opinions on Leathers....  (Read 3987 times)

Offline Frank06

Soliciting Opinions on Leathers....
« on: September 30, 2010, 08:32:14 PM »
New Enough has some closeout specials going on, one of them is: http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/helmets/alpinestars/rc1_one_piece_motorcycle_race_suit.html

Do these look like they satisfy the rules requirement?  I'd appreciate any advice, ideas, help, etc.

thanks,
Frank
E-Racer

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Soliciting Opinions on Leathers....
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 10:34:22 PM »
Frank, the lightest color option you can get will be cooler when you are out in the sun.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 11:34:08 PM »
New Enough has some closeout specials going on, one of them is: http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/helmets/alpinestars/rc1_one_piece_motorcycle_race_suit.html

Do these look like they satisfy the rules requirement?  I'd appreciate any advice, ideas, help, etc.

thanks,
Frank

What event are you gonna run?

•Ergonomically placed accordion stretch panels and stretch panel inserts for optimal fit and comfort
•Fully perforated front for cooling

These two most likely won't make it in the SCTA.

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 07:47:10 AM »
NewEnough is a good place to look for most any race wear and their reviews are pretty good (like sizing info) even if you don't choose their products.
There is also a place called The Leather Exchange, but they are in NC and have to pop me with sales tax--a point they reminded of when calling.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 09:25:18 AM »
The hump will be an issue in a lot of classes
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline NS_Rider

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 11:28:46 AM »
Have you tried Ebay? We picked up my set of leathers fairly inexpensive off there. Then had extra leather sewn in behind the perforated sections. As was mentioned the leathers your are asking about won't pass the SCTA requirements without some work. Good luck in your search.
Craig

Offline Frank06

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 03:45:30 PM »
Thanks everyone!
E-Racer

Offline Warp12

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 05:00:13 PM »
• Ergonomically placed accordion stretch panels and stretch panel inserts for optimal fit and comfort

Stretch panels will find a way to touch the pavement and burn through in a high speed crash, as we found out last year.

Many people think that the panels, such as the ones on the inside of the arms, are unlikely to touch pavement in a spill, but that is not the case. The leather protected, but the stretch panels did not. That led to permanent scarring.

Just an FYI.

Shane

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 11:38:55 PM »
The ladies at Bates Leathers are very helpful and they know the sanctioning body's requirements.  They took my measurements and made a set of land speed leathers for me.  The Bates leathers weigh a lot more than the imported ones.  About twice as heavy.  This is a good thing.  There is a lot of protection in them. 

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 04:14:20 AM »
So no perforations. These can be annoying if your bike catches fire at MPH
As little as possible in the stretchy stuff. You will be surprised at how flexible you are when you fall off and what rubs thru
And don't get all white leathers. If you fall off and you are the same color as the salt, it might take a while to find you
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline suprf1y

• New folks
    • http://www.teamswift.net/3tech
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 09:08:03 PM »
I'm also looking for leathers to run some ECTA events.

I'm a car guy, and never bought leathers before. Any tips for a newbie?

I see what look to be some good deals on lightly used stuff locally.
ECTA I/PS record holder

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 07:23:01 PM »
The "guys" at The Leather Exchange were really nice even pointed out that being a NC resident they would have to charge me the 7% sales tax and maybe I might find better prices with another vendor. New Enough can have closeout bargains, but if you get custom, do it.