Author Topic: Purchasing holiday gifts suggestion.....  (Read 6005 times)

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Re: Purchasing holiday gifts suggestion.....
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 11:23:25 AM »
Slim, There still is a small portion of Taiwan named "U.S." :x
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 02:53:26 PM »
On a completely different note -- please take a quick gander at the left-center of the home page of www.landracing.com.  We're running an ad to help Ken Rappaport's girlfriend, Victoria, sell some of the gold jewelry that she makes by hand.  Ken is the crew chief (I think) of the Spectre -- Amit Rosenbaum's (and Kenny Hoover's) streamliner that went 415.791 at the Shootout last September.  He showed Nancy and me some of the work there.  So - when he recently asked about advertising the jewelry on this site -- since he's got a decently-good connection with our sport -- I said "Sure".  Well, I said that but in a few more words.  You know my style -- if five words is good enough -- then 3,491 words is even better.

Victoria (also known as Vicki) will design and make jewelry to your request -- such as your race car or the race number or some flames, etc.

Go take a look at the ad - click through and go to her website - and maybe find something your wife would like and that you can afford, or better yet -- design something (in cahoots with Vicki) that shows not only your love for said wife - but also for your race car.  Howsabout that for justifying yet another expenditure from the racing budget?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 04:58:33 PM »
  Wobley, sorry to enlighten you but Eagle Rods and Cranks, and all house brand rods from Summit, Jegs, Speedway Motors, any virtually all H beam rods other than Carrillo are Chinese forgings with only Eagle and a few others machined in the U.S.  Even Carrillo has a off brand now from overseas.
  Don't let a SFI sticker fool you.
Bob Drury

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 05:03:17 PM »
Just an update from our experience.

I purchased my wife a Nikon SLR (our main camera Nik D300 is a monster, and she wanted to be able to have a camera that she could put in her purse).

Make in Indonesia, the camera bag made in the USA! (had to search among many).

My wife got me a few pans made by Viking. I got a 2 qt sauce reduction and 8" fry. I need a few more pieces before I will be happy but these were big voids in my collection.
If you have never cooked with Viking, they are really nice (hard to stomach the $$$ however) and is why I have been purchasing them over the years and not a whole set.

All Viking cookware is made in Belgium. 

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Rcktscientist

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 08:58:06 PM »
Thanks for the Plug Slim :-D Vicki is an accomplished Goldsmith but is doing a lot of Silver these days as gold is over 1400 an ounce, ouch. The flames are in silver but can be made in gold if you have deep pockets. Check out the dragster on the website she made for me. She can carve (lost wax) just about anything, has done Karate figures to an artistic FUG for Top Fuel racer Butch Blair (Blair's Fugowie). She'll work with your old jewelry and stones to create something new. Remember, valentines day is 2 1/2 months away. Anything custom needs about 2 months to create and flames are made to order, they must be cast and take several hours to finish so two weeks before an event is a good time to order, not 2 days....And they are made in USA by a starving artist, well maybe not starving but she has a starving racer boyfriend.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 10:04:52 AM »
Ken:

"...starving racer..." is redundant.  There are so few racers that aren't starving (at least by their own reasoning) that it is an oxymoron to use both words.

Happy Holidays.  Didja see the special Shootout mugs I sent to Amir?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com