Author Topic: Purchasing holiday gifts suggestion.....  (Read 6018 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Purchasing holiday gifts suggestion.....
« on: November 27, 2010, 12:00:11 PM »
For the second year Lori my wife and I are doing a 'No China' Christmas and will not purchase and ask to not receive gifts that are made in China.

I have a real problem with going into a large store (Target, Fred Myers, Wally) and not finding anything other then 'made in China' items. This along with the knowledge its common for children to work 12 hour days for pennies, they dump toxic waste into their rivers and dont purchase a millionth of the products from the US grinds my gears.

We dont care if the gifts are made in US, UK-EU, Mex, Can, Japan or anywhere....except China.

Doing this is much harder then we original thought but has turned out to be sort of fun.

I am the last to be political and dont want to be a hippie pushing my views on others....but would like to suggest that you consciously purchase at least 1 item that is not made in China.

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Purchasing holiday gifts suggestion.....
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 12:40:44 PM »
It's not that I'm anti China, it's just that the stuff being produced there is all lowest common denominator.  And I agree, it's very difficult to do.

What Kate and I have had great success doing is hitting the antique malls.  Over the past number of years, I have been able to get for Kate -

A "Made in the USA" West Bend Coffee maker with Kodak Film graphics - and old promotion piece that was limited in production and sent to independent camera shops -

A genuine 1930's Mickey Mouse watch

A number of pieces of really tasteful costume jewelry (proof being that she actually wears them)

A beautiful handmade jewelry box.

For my sister, a Czech made Violin.

For my brother-in law, who collects SE Wisconsin brewery pieces, a full case of "Fox Head" beer, in 7 oz bottles.  The brewery has been closed for 40 years, but he now has a case of the original product!

I received for Christmas, 1999, a really well crafted mahogany and brass slide rule, which made me Y2K ready  :cheers:

The list goes on.  There are also opportunities out there.  Just because it's in an antique shop doesn't necessarily mean it's overpriced.

I picked up a grill for a '59 Bugeye Sprite for $20.00, flipped it on E-bay, and that's how I bought my pistons.

If your shopping to fill a list, then you go to Wally World.  But if you're shopping for someone special, shop special places.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a safe, fast New Year to everyone.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 01:22:15 PM »
Great idea however the Nitro for my bike is made in China... :cry:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 01:29:03 PM »
Great idea however the Nitro for my bike is made in China... :cry:

That's okay - you just set it on fire, anyway! :-D
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 02:00:15 AM »
Racing parts are hardly ever made in the "C" country.  Now, there is the perfect Christmas present.       

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 10:57:04 AM »
Not really intended as a potential gift, but worthy of inclusion on the Forum for all "gearheads" -- parentheses because of the subject matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLPVCJjTNgk
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline geh458

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 11:24:46 AM »
Not really intended as a potential gift, but worthy of inclusion on the Forum for all "gearheads" -- parentheses because of the subject matter.

That's cool.
Gifford Hawn

Vintage Sports Car Racer looking to convert.......

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 12:49:57 PM »

That's cool.

Very cool however some Legos are made in China also... :wink:

Offline jdincau

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 12:53:10 PM »
Racing parts are hardly ever made in the "C" country.  Now, there is the perfect Christmas present.       

Think so, better not look too closely at some crank and rod forgings.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline rambler jack

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 05:12:08 PM »
I ordered a pilot bearing for Ford trans to Chevy eng from Speedway Motors.(see add on homepage) I received it nicely sealed in plastic on a card. On the card was printed Lakewood Industries a division of Prestolite Performance Cleveland Ohio. Also was printed an American Flag which under it was printed made in USA. When the plastic was removed the bearing was inscribed MADE IN CHINA.It would seem that the card was made in USA but not the bearing. :-o : It would appear that if you want to shop American do as J.H.N. suggests and go to a second hand store.If you want new just figure it will most likely be made by THE LITTLE CHILDREN. Good luck !
Temper is what gets most of us into trouble. Pride is what keeps us there
       SCTA GearGrinder

Offline debgeo

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 07:21:28 PM »
I built a T purchasing the majority parts I needed from Speedway. I did not receive one part that was not made overseas.Hard to find anything that is mass produced that is not made overseas anymore.
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 07:47:23 PM »
Same as the super markets, got home the other day and was putting stuff away and found the Mandrian oranges were from China, now I am looking at everything. Damn hard to find what doesn't come from some other country. I say we should bring the jobs back to the USA.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline debgeo

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 07:49:44 PM »
AMEN
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 11:04:56 PM »
I ordered a pilot bearing for Ford trans to Chevy eng from Speedway Motors.(see add on homepage) I received it nicely sealed in plastic on a card. On the card was printed Lakewood Industries a division of Prestolite Performance Cleveland Ohio. Also was printed an American Flag which under it was printed made in USA. When the plastic was removed the bearing was inscribed MADE IN CHINA.It would seem that the card was made in USA but not the bearing. :-o : It would appear that if you want to shop American do as J.H.N. suggests and go to a second hand store.If you want new just figure it will most likely be made by THE LITTLE CHILDREN. Good luck !
Should say sold in the U.S.A
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 08:24:07 AM »
Don't I remember that in the WWII-era there was a town in Japan that got huge with manufacturing products to be sold in the United States?  The town was named "Usa" -- and therefore the labels could legitimately read "Made in USA".
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com