Author Topic: One of my favorite pictures...,  (Read 2681 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
One of my favorite pictures...,
« on: November 23, 2010, 08:53:31 PM »
Lots of history in those two guys...(on the right of me)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: One of my favorite pictures...,
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 09:08:33 PM »
Gairdner, correct?

I'm still looking for those blueprints.............
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline TouringComet

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered streamliner
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 02:28:01 PM »
In the middle is Russell Wright, FIM absolute record holder from 1955.  Here are pictures from an event held during 2005 for the 50th anniversary of the record setting.  The bike has remained virtually intact from the way it was last raced at Bonneville in 1956.  Sadly, the fully enclosed shell was apparently destroyed years ago.  The trophy visible in a few of the pictures is the trophy that was given to Russell by, I think, Motor Cycle magazine.  At this event, Russell handed over ownership of the trophy to the current owner of the Vincent Black Lightning.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 03:23:46 PM »
In the middle is Russell Wright, FIM absolute record holder from 1955.  Here are pictures from an event held during 2005 for the 50th anniversary of the record setting.  The bike has remained virtually intact from the way it was last raced at Bonneville in 1956.  Sadly, the fully enclosed shell was apparently destroyed years ago.  The trophy visible in a few of the pictures is the trophy that was given to Russell by, I think, Motor Cycle magazine.  At this event, Russell handed over ownership of the trophy to the current owner of the Vincent Black Lightning.

Yep Russell...great guy and awesome to talk to, the other is Sam Wheeler also great and has some awesome stories he told me while we were driving around Australia and at the salt.. ..this picture was taken by Michelle when we went to Australia to run at the lake..

J
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 03:33:10 PM by John Noonan »

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 10:49:37 AM »
I think you may want to change the first post.

Lots of history in those two three guys...
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline TouringComet

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered streamliner
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 01:51:04 AM »
Episode 5 of the TV show Americon Icon: The Hot Rod on Discovery's HD Theatre channel has a quick shot of Russell Wright's enclosed Vincent Black Lightning at Bonneville in 1956.  The footage is near the middle of the show, around 13:30 from the start.  Episode 5 is shown in the schedule as repeating on Dec 11th.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 08:49:15 PM »
Sam Wheeler..... he has been around this land speed stuff for a long time... how many of you know that, in 1971, he had a record setting 'liner at Speedweek?..... Yup.... Norton 750cc engine and slippery too!.... he set the record at 208+ mph....

Now, how many of you know what happened with a body clone of that 'liner?.... with four wheels and a stretch, it set the C/BFL record in 1981 at like 313 mph (to be fair though, it set the record a few times at speeds in the high 200s and kept going faster).... and then it morphed into a 4 wheeled vehicle with 2 wheels inline at the front and, eventually some custom body work covering the much narrowed rear axle.... the car version went 409.986 mph in 1991..... Ask Al Teague next time you see him where he got the body for that car.
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.