Author Topic: cooling----radiator??  (Read 4798 times)

Offline speedwagon

• New folks
cooling----radiator??
« on: November 19, 2010, 08:01:19 PM »
hi, i'm new to LSR and have some topics that i need advice with. I'm working on a 1986 vette for the Grand Touring class. I've read bits and pieces about water tanks. What i would like to learn more about is how to cool a LSR. Do you run a radiator in front of motor as usual or do you run a tank directly to engine and circulate it without a radiator? I will be running methanol so it  should be cooler than a gas engine . my motor is a small block chevy 358 cu. in SB2. if any one could throw some advice my way would be greatly helpful.  thanks, jim

Offline dw230

Re: cooling----radiator??
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 02:36:02 AM »
In the GT class you must use a radiator. The class is in the Production Category and must meet the overall rules for the category.

You cannot run methanol in GT class, it is a gasoline only class as stated in your rulebook

You cannot use a SB2 engine in a GT car. The engine must be available in an automobile available from the same manufacturer as the body.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline speedwagon

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 09:58:03 AM »
thank you , i better go back and read rule book a LOT more.   thanks very much,  jim

Offline speedwagon

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 10:01:57 AM »
Hi, just me again, do you have any suggestions on what CLASS i should persue with this combo ?????    jim

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 11:04:58 AM »
Most likely you could fit into A, B or C-FMS (Fuel Modified Sports) depending on how big you built the SB2.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline speedwagon

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 11:12:56 AM »
thank you, i get to reading rule book!       jim

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 11:34:26 AM »
In the GT class you must use a radiator. The class is in the Production Category and must meet the overall rules for the category.

You cannot run methanol in GT class, it is a gasoline only class as stated in your rulebook

You cannot use a SB2 engine in a GT car. The engine must be available in an automobile available from the same manufacturer as the body.

DW

I would hate to disagree with Dan. Yes no methanol, that puts you in fuel MS.  The issue is the cylinder head which in regular production is not allowed as the port configuration is not "standard" SBC.  However in GT class, Engine swap IS allowed as long as is same MFG. I think this would class as a swap because intake manifold and port locations etc are not "stock". So, DW, what say you?
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline dw230

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 11:58:37 AM »
I say that in talking with my engine consultant I gather that the SB2 and RO7 GM race engines are not the same block as an OEM.

Leaving for weekend now,

Back on Monday

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 12:34:05 PM »
Ah, R07 may be different critter,(different bore centers and raised cam etc) but SB2 block is dimensionally  identical to standard SBC (AFAIK-certainly some engine builder can chime in here and say I am full of it) except for the lifter bore angles and in fact, many engines are built with SB2 heads with the standard lifter bores. Far as I know, lifter bore locations is not regulated, only other features of the block as described in the rule book (cam position (so a raised cam block would not be legal in production) bore centers, intake manifold pattern, head bolt pattern, bellhousing bolt pattern etc.) I still submit is a legal swap and in any case, the book says engine swap is legal in GT so doesn't matter anyway if the block is different.  It is made by GM/Chevrolet. For sure, you cannot identify an SB2 block from the outside. Depending on year, been a while for instance since we saw a big block in a Vette. Same a Gen 1-2 SBC compared to current Gen 3. It would be a legal swap and can run GT rather than MS. Back to DW on Monday.  :-)
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 01:07:22 PM »
In GT the radiator must be "retained", but not necessarily used.  A water tank can be utilized and located for ballast purposes.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline speedwagon

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 07:37:55 PM »
thank all of ya"ll for the responses.It sounds like I might be able to run the GT class with a change to gas instead of methanol.You can put SB2 heads on a regular chevrolet block with changing some stuff including the lifters.if anyone can  point me in the right direction for utilizing a water tank, how large (gallons) and plumbing versus using a radiator and water pump, then I might can get going in the right direction thanks for all the answers.   thanks, jim

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 08:36:45 PM »
Jim,  there are posts on here for the radiator in a tank---there are 2 ways to do it one closed and on open---
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 10:17:20 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!