Author Topic: 'The Epsom Salt'  (Read 18774 times)

Offline peterdallan

'The Epsom Salt'
« on: November 18, 2010, 03:06:58 PM »
Hi,

I'm Peter, introduced myself back in early September, hoping to bring my bike to Bonneville in August 2012 with OZ and the rest of the crew from the UK.

I come from Epsom in Surrey, UK, and the town is famous for Epsom Salts (MgS04-7H2O), hence the very fitting name of my project, The Epsom Salt.

The bike is being built by renowned Triumph tuner Dick (The Baron) Smith of Baron Speed Shop. Dick also works at Ace Classics restoring and rebuilding classic Triumphs.

The bike is based off a Triumph 1960 6T, and will remain 650cc. Below are a couple of shots so far, early days but now the frame is finished we can begin work on the rolling chassis. The motor will be built after the rolling chassis is done, however we have so far sourced crankcases, cylinder head, and barrels. A Joe Hunt magneto will be used.

Feel free to ask any questions.

regards

Peter

www.theepsomsalt.blogspot.com
www.baronspeedshop.com
www.aceclassics.co.uk
www.sump-publishing.co.uk/dick%20smith.htm

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
Re: 'The Epsom Salt'
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 02:47:48 AM »
Peter
Fell free to post lots of pictures and theory
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 07:31:42 AM »
Yep, looks very busy on the European Salt scene!!!

Patrick
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 03:36:24 PM »
Cool you still have a bit to do then fella, mind you I have now been waiting 9 weeks for the cylinder head to come back of mine and if everything I need to do takes that kinda time you will be finished before me!

another beer oops I mean meeting towards the end of january I reckon.

Keep up the good work.
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 05:10:42 PM »
I think it will come along quite quickly now, relatively speaking of course. The plan is to have as much time testing it as building it. Even though it was one of the builds that inspired me, I don't want to finish the bike the day it is being crated like Lars!!!

Offline Mossy

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 10:01:44 PM »
G'day Pete
Just found your post and joined this forum today (see introduction page).
I've also just started building a 650 Triumph racer, but 1950 based, to run in M/VG class at Lake Gairdner in 2012.
Cheers Mossy

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 06:32:02 PM »
Sorry for the radio silence, but back on track.

Work started on the engine, milled out the cases to accept the new cams, and sourced a great crank on it's original grind.

Bronze cam bushes will be replaced with needle bearings.

Peter

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 05:28:33 PM »
Scrub that crank, we have scored an amazing crank, unused single piece ex Triumph factory, believed cast for John Hobbs, without the sludge trap for increased strength. Boy it feels solid!

Offline bak189

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 08:42:36 PM »
If you don't have a sludge trap and are using the stock oil pump.....you will starve the rod bearings for oil
...the stock pump is is really bad....it fills up the sludge trap, and the rotation of the crank lubes the rod bearing by centrifical force........get a after market gear type pump the drives off the ex. cam ......
Been there done that.......(we made our own crank without a sludge trap)........................................
Question authority.....always

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 07:07:07 AM »
Hi Bak,

Thanks for that, all under control. Dick, my engine builder has been building racing pre-unit Triumphs for 30 years and promises me he has it under control! I know he plans to use a Morgo pump instead of the stock unit. I'll try to add more details as soon as I can.

Peter

Offline Briz

• Custom cycle developments
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 03:26:27 PM »
Hi Peter
Wow! that raw forgings gonna take some extensive machining. Who's lined up to take care of that?

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 11:52:48 AM »
Hi Briz,

Jealous of your progress. I'll ask Dick who he is using but he says it's not as bad as it looks, apparently ;-).

Just sourced some Ceriani forks, already a Triumph fit.

Peter

Offline bak189

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 10:31:26 AM »
When we made our own crank we made it with a heavy flywheel......get it spinning and drop the clutch...(we drag raced the bike)....worked great.. set records at the time....a heavy crank and flywheel wheel might  also work in LSR.......Good luck on your project.......................................................
Question authority.....always

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 02:20:14 PM »
Thanks Bak,

Exactly our thoughts, going for the heavy flywheel, plan to sprint it when not on the salt. Will try to keep things updated a bit more

Peter

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 02:00:11 PM »
Big thanks to Amal for becoming a sponsor of our project, these turned up in the post, cheers guys!