Author Topic: "VOTE" Leslie Porterfield "FIM Woman of the Year"  (Read 7384 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: "VOTE" Leslie Porterfield "FIM Woman of the Year"
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 01:59:40 AM »
Leslie has done well.............by all means vote for her.

But........... let's rewind over 30 years and talk about women and motorcycles.

Marcia Holley was the first woman to establish a record above 200 MPH on two wheels. The way

I see it is that is called a motorcycle. It was a conventional streamliner.

That made her a star of the 2 Club.  First woman, there have been many since, and she did it with a motorcycle, conventional

or whatever. Her reception into the Club was not warm. She shattered the "old boys" club. They didn't welcome her as they do

the ladies now days. She crewed with Vesco and when offered the chance to crank it on in the 'liner, she slid her butt into that

aluminum can, without electronic fuel management and computer aided tuning, a  drive tire with a foot print of 5/8 of an inch and

less traction than any of todays "big foot print" bikes and ran a 229 MPH record. Oh ya, she also ran a 272 MPH record in a streamlined

car after that. When did I say, 1978...........

Leslie, I congratulate you on your accomplishments but Marcia was first on a budget that was less than your hauler's fuel bill.

Sports fans, you read history about presidents but to be educated in LSR history you had to be there because Marcia's

accomplishments weren't documented as are todays, especially when it involves a talented knock out lady.

Say, did you ever see the advertisement for the Gold Belt for motocross riders in 1975?

That was Marcia. She was a first in that also. We just didn't have the internet then.

When the word “first” is used, it doesn't need an adjective to describe the motorcycle.

It only needs a name in the motorcycle records and that name is Marcia Holley.

Look in the 1979 SCTA record book. If you don't accept that, ask Jack Dolan.

Oh,who is Jack Dolan?

FREUD

Freud,

First I love you very much, you are what should read under "Historian for Bonneville" next to Pork Pie, Glen and a few others.  Also a great friend and I hope to make the SCTA banquet if you attend, looks like I might be able to make it.

Second we can't put the tooth paste back in..What Marcia did by hopping in Vesco's streamliner bike is not to be compared to what Leslie has done on her own on a conventional sit on bike in the wind, Leslie takes a very active role in her Land Speed Bike racing, she is not just gorgeous, she is talented, she has a very successful motorcycle shop that services and sells motorcycles as well.  She (Leslie)does a great marketing job to promote her own business and also to obtain many sponsors..yes she is way too pretty and it's not fair for others however we have to deal with the hands we are dealt.

She has raised herself nearly in to the top 20 Bonneville racers on open bikes and not only has set records over 230+mph (AMA) has also been a great ambassador to motorcycling for women all over the world, a very fast Bonneville racer sent me a private message asking what Leslie did to deserve her nomination for the FIM female rider of the year, out of the other FIM candidates and his question is not worthy of an answer (he will see it here for the first time however)  We are interested in LSR, Not road racing, dirt bike racing, trials running or other NON LSR venues so naturally Leslie is the one we should vote for however we have the right to free speech and can vote for whomever we want to without persecution from the government or others.

If Kathy Butler was on the list with Leslie I would have voted for Kathy however she was not and Leslie was so Leslie gets my vote.  

What Marcia did WAS great however last time I looked this year I did not see that she raced in any venue in America.

I would like to see Kathy Butler, Leslie Porterfield, Trillium Muir, and any other fast women have a shootout on the salt on similar open wheel bikes to see who the current Speed Queen is, I and others feel at this time it is Leslie, however I wanted and expected the Lakers to win tonight and they lost..we all can't be on top forever..Jason has two faster records than me at Bonneville yet has not run nearly as fast as we have one way so he is probably a better overall LSR rider, Builder, Tuner than me and I am fine with that however I feel Leslie is a better rider than Marcia ever was ...look at what Marcia, Tanis and Jeanie have done in the cars at Bonneville and it is awesome however most car folks will not trade rides with a fast bike..(Jeanie might) and Marcia has done both.

Tanis has a license to fly planes and even worse helicopters :-o..she is the one to watch out for.. :-D

Noonan

Offline Freud

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 11:18:36 AM »
I didn't take anything away from Leslie but the statement that she was the first in 61 years to get a Red Hat on a motorcycle.

It's just not true.

Jeannie is the one that's not content with just a car record. She rides anywhere and is active even at the lakes on her scoot.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 11:27:58 AM »
Freud,

I thought Marcia got her Red hat "in a" motorcycle not "on a" motorcycle like Leslie, if I am incorrect please confirm..

John

Offline joea

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 11:48:44 AM »
John, i sent you a pm to find out what Leslie's accomplishments
were this year....simple....i asked you, who i considered a friend,
a very simple question as you follow things pretty closely....and thought
you might have insight......

boy was i wrong....

i knew Leslie had tremendous accomplishments last year and was
wondering if i missed some speeds and such this year..hence my querie..

I had typed a post asking how to find out who the candidates are
and what their accomplishments were this year....

then i finally clicked on the link posted earlier and found the list and accomplishments.....

it was very well put in post emphasizing Leslie's impact on lsr the past few years...!!!!

just as in politics, i wanted to research the issues/candidates, even though i have a clear
favorite...that believes in the things important to me..:)

Joe :)...

Offline Freud

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 08:37:18 PM »
John..........WOW

Do you have a problem with Rocky and Ack Attack?

Maybe u can get his record changed to a different category. 

In or on?

She was riding a motorcycle.

John...get real.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline dw230

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 09:20:28 PM »
Ouch!!!!

This thread is going way off base.

Vote for Leslie or not - thats the way it is. Discussion about the achivements of others not on the list don't count.

I'm going back to the kitchen to pour some more red.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 11:07:15 PM »
right on Mayor---Thank goodness I came in with a Large CUP  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 02:31:36 AM »
John..........WOW

Do you have a problem with Rocky and Ack Attack?

Maybe u can get his record changed to a different category. 

In or on?

She was riding a motorcycle.

John...get real.

FREUD

Freud,

I as a rider not a pilot of a streamliner see a difference as do many in the world when referencing a motorcycle as a two wheeled vehicle..the streamliners start with training wheels/skids and when at speed they retract..not what most call a "motorcycle" by definition however once underway at speed it is on two wheels like a standard "throw a leg over conventional motorcycle"

This is not about Rocky it is about Leslie and the other worthy women nominated for the "Woman of the year" since Leslie was nominated and she is doing LSR she gets my vote..don't read more in to it and try to make it something it is not.

Joe, yes I guess you were wrong, thanks for pointing it out.

Dan, Amen and thanks for getting us back on track..long winter ahead I see.. :cheers:

Noonan...

Offline michael lueders

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 04:07:21 PM »
Any and all of the ladies of LSR deserve credit..not only for being ambassadors of the sport to the outside world but also for being the most upbeat people out there. Marcia, Tanis, Leslie, Kathy, Jeannie, Alison, etc... and countless others I can't remember names to, they all make our world a much better place...hats off to them all. If ANY lady can help our sport then we should support them to help support LSR. Nomenclature aside they are ALL fast.  Having said that..Jeannie always has my vote but then again I am openly biased! :cheers: :-D

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 05:38:30 PM »
I have happily voted for Leslie. She is kind, considerate and unassuming, taking time to speak with everyone, including an Englishman from "The North"!
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!