Author Topic: rack&pinion steering units, recomendations??  (Read 3988 times)

Offline johnneilson

rack&pinion steering units, recomendations??
« on: November 06, 2010, 09:08:36 AM »
As the subject line asks, I am building a new lakester and looking for steering unit. V4 tank
I have been looking at a unit made for dunebuggy, rugged enough but think the ratio is going to be too quick.
I would prefer to not use a quickener reversed, just more stuff to loosen up.

So who make good units and offers different ratios?
I know when the ratio gets too high the pinion gear gets real small engagement could be issue.
Also, I am building the steering arms pretty long, it looks like I can up to 12" cl of spindle to rod end.

Thanks, John

As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: rack&pinion steering units, recomendations??
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 10:50:05 AM »
Johm,
Chassis Works in Michigan was making slower units but I think they told me I bought the last one about 2 years ago. Try Mark Williams or Strange they both can make some custom stuff.

BTW I have a dirt track speed increaser in reverse on my hot rod and have been pretty happy with it I have about 2500 mile on it since I adapted it and no problems. It took the Schroeder midget steering box I am using from one turn lock to lock to two turns and it really made steering easier.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline The wonderful One

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 12:17:38 PM »
You cold consider a VW Bug unit. I used one in the streamliner. Small, cheep ($100 new) strong, easy to mount and not to fast. I mounted the unit directly to the ft. axle, which is only one ft. long. There will be no bump steer. I will send you a picture, if you wish, by email. The Wonderful One errorlessmedical@earthlink.net

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 02:38:48 PM »
The MG Midget unit is quite compact, and while I don't know the exact ratios, I'm aware that the later units (Rubber Bumper cars - '75 and later) have a slightly slower ratio than the earlier units - that's due to the increased weight of the 5 mph bumpers and Triumph engine.

The housing is about 26" wide.  I have an early one (fast ratio) that I'll give you for the cost of shipping, if you want to mock it up.

Good luck, John.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 05:24:40 PM »
Thanks for responding,

Rex, I looked at the Stilletto rack some time ago, I am sure it is good in a top fuel car and would work.

I was looking at a heavy duty buggy unit also, it is larger and has the tie rods mounting in the center. A better fit for me.

Chris, thanks for the offer, I do have a Miata rack or two here, a bit too long and is for leading steering.

I was even contemplating a sprint car steering box mounted with the output shaft vertical and a small bellcrank in the center of the car.

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.