Author Topic: Working with Titanium  (Read 101909 times)

Offline tallguy

Re: Working with Titanium
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2023, 10:23:19 PM »
Thank y'all for all the useful, informative postings.  It's a sad (I suppose) bit of irony that materials that are so wonderful in some respects are difficult to deal with in other respects.

I've done a bit of titanium (TIG) welding with great results, but no machining of it.  I did a little sanding on some once, using
a belt sander, and did notice the bright white sparks.  Kinda scary looking.  I urge an abundance of caution, and always try to
practice what I preach.  This helped me become quite an old guy (well, maybe not so old in land speed racing circles).

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2023, 04:12:49 PM »
"It is the only material that will burn in a pure nitrogen atmosphere"

Apparently there are no chemists or firemen here?

Offline Speed Limit 1000

John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline tallguy

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2024, 02:51:42 AM »
I didn't realize that weight-saving was such an important thing in land speed racing.  I realize that salt is relatively corrosive,
and I also realize that there are some pretty strong types of stainless steel available (that are also relatively corrosion-resistant).
Many fasteners are available in some pretty strong stainless alloys.  Instead of being on a major crusade to save weight in
a land-speed vehicle, I'd probably lean more toward minimizing friction (including wind resistance) -- except where traction is
desired -- , and improving aerodynamics.