Author Topic: Help with Nitrous 2008 ZX-10R  (Read 2362 times)

Offline oldkamikaze

• New folks
Help with Nitrous 2008 ZX-10R
« on: November 03, 2010, 08:47:36 PM »
Hi Bill here,  Is anyone running 50 or 60 HP shot of nitrous In 2008 ZX-10?   I was wondering what is the best plug to run?   Should I go one or two heat ranges lower than stock.   I will be using VP c116 race fuel, and have power commander V, Akrapovic full race system K&N Race air filter.      Any other suggestions appreciated.   New at this!     THANKS   Looking to run Loring  next year. 

Offline sabat

Re: Help with Nitrous 2008 ZX-10R
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 08:54:28 PM »
CR10E will work. I would suggest 12:1 AFR or richer, and a spraybar to direct the nitrous into each throttle body individually. Good luck, Dean

Offline DanBadger

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 03:49:18 PM »
At that power level, I would certainly be looking at port injection as sabat suggested.  Spraying the airbox is very non-precision, and mixture from cyl to cyl can very quite a bit with a single fogger.  Any time I do a nitrous system on anything, I suggest a wideband O2 sensor and display.  With a dry shot and power commander, it's easy to stay on the N/A tune and hit the spray, or on a wet system to have a fuel pressure or flow issue.  Keeping an eye on the mixture helps you catch those issues before they get expensive.  Also, running an RPM window switch is not a bad idea.  It's easy to wind a bike out a bit in a standing mile, and if you run your RPMs up past the top of your fuel map in the power commander, the nitrous will keep spraying any you will go VERY lean. 

As for plugs, the NGK CR10EK is a dual-ground plug that has less of a tendency to develop hotspots at the electrode tips, which can cause preignition.  Though that's not such a big deal running race gas, it's still something to concider.  They are a couple bucks more, but there's only 4 of them, eh?

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 07:02:04 PM »
I would ask Rick Gold at ERC about the plugs. He has been good to us. :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline joea

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 08:51:37 AM »
....its so interesting to see what one does another would not...

ie...IMHO.....As for plugs, i would avoid anything like a dual-ground plug that has twice as much metal hanging in the combustion chamber providing "MORE" of a tendency to develop hotspots at the electrode tips, which can cause preignition.  And that IS  a big deal  EVEN running race gas........

Joe :)

Offline RansomT

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 10:22:01 AM »
Pulling timing with the V ?

Offline maj

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 04:43:36 PM »
....its so interesting to see what one does another would not...

ie...IMHO.....As for plugs, i would avoid anything like a dual-ground plug that has twice as much metal hanging in the combustion chamber providing "MORE" of a tendency to develop hotspots at the electrode tips, which can cause preignition.  And that IS  a big deal  EVEN running race gas........

Joe :)

And funny to see this mentioned as i just changed mid season from std type single electrode to cr10e and getting better reliability , looks like single earth with its greater length was getting over heated and initiating a plazma event  :-(

Suppose we all have to find out what works best in our situation

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 07:27:15 PM »
You should look at retracted tip plugs. You the coldest heat range you can find. Nothing on the end to burn off. :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20