Author Topic: Anyone running a Lenco ST1200?  (Read 17259 times)

Offline DanBadger

Anyone running a Lenco ST1200?
« on: November 03, 2010, 03:43:34 PM »
Transmissions for 4-digit power are new to me.  Feeling my way blindly through the maze of mega-bucks trannys for big boys, the answer I have come up with for 1200 crank HP is the Lenco ST1200.  I talked to the tech guy named David at Lenco, and he recommended the 4-speed version with upgraded bearings, which would end up costing right at $5500.  That's a real wad of cash to me, and I would appreciate some input from the guys who have been there and done that.  The application is 1200 HP, 3600lb, seeing about 1000 miles of street use and 2 or 3 land speed events a year.  I was first leaning toward RPM's T-56 Magnum, but the ST1200 is only a couple hundred bucks more, is cheaper and easier to service, and is many times cooler.

Thanks in advance!

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
Re: Anyone running a Lenco ST1200?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 10:12:13 PM »
i would run the regular lenco with a breather not the st1200. you're maxing out the trans with a 1200. the reg.lenco can handle much more and can still be driven. seen it done. ask dave about where the breather would go and then start looking on racingjunk or in the digger.
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline DanBadger

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 10:37:25 PM »
Dave is of the opinion that the ST1200 is going to be fine at that power level, or more.  I have no objection going with a CS1, I am just attracted to a reverse and neutral, as well as the price break of the ST1200.  I'll look around for a used CS1 that will fit my needs, and if I track one down for the right price I will be right on it.  Thanks for the input.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 11:27:39 PM »
Someone on the landspeedlist in the last week or so was posting that they were having trouble with the ST1200 they were running. They were having problems with either the bearings or the sprags. Maybe they will see your post and reply.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 11:41:31 PM »
Dave is of the opinion that the ST1200 is going to be fine at that power level, or more.  I have no objection going with a CS1, I am just attracted to a reverse and neutral, as well as the price break of the ST1200.  I'll look around for a used CS1 that will fit my needs, and if I track one down for the right price I will be right on it.  Thanks for the input.
that all fine and dandy now while you're making 1200 hp. but you know as we all know that next year you're gonna want more power and you'll do something on your motor to make more power and oh wait :roll: :roll: :roll:..........now i need another trans to handle the extra 350 hp i got from the nos. just get a cs1 and be done with it.
just my 2bits worth. that ST1200 was just a way for lenco to make a cheaper trans and sell them for the same price as a comp model. put a breather on the cs and you'll be fine.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 11:43:24 PM by BALS aSALT »
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline DanBadger

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 01:40:47 PM »
The "room to grow" argument makes a good point- at that price level, I would much rather buy it one and never think about it again.  It looks like I can pick up a used 4-speed CS1 for around $3500, put another $750 in clutch packs and bearings, and have a transmission I won't have to worry about.  Any idea how much the reversers are for the CS series?  That's kind of an important chunk to me- streetability (and parkability) is a real requirement.

The more I talk to guys who have been there and think about it, the more I drift away from the "little brother" transmission.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 02:31:01 PM »
98% of units sold have the reverser on them. Most racing organizations require them. I think they only make one reverser for all their models. Just make sure it has a neutral detent on the reverser.

Tom G.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline DanBadger

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 03:24:48 PM »
Ah- based on the sample group of 2 that I have driven and 1 I have found for sale and looked deeper into, 2/3 did not have the reverser, so I assumed that they were not as popular as you suggest.  Chalk it up to my new-guy inexperience.  Thanks for all the help, guys.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 04:17:16 PM »
LOL. you must have run across all the ones for boats. You should also ask on the CS1 if the gear sets are course or fine spline. Course gears are OK for LSR use but are the older Lenco gear sets for the CS1. Fine spline is what they now make. Also you can buy two two speeds and lenco can put them together as a three speed, but the cases have to be machined. Some of the ins and outs I have learned over the years dealing with Lenco.

I had some two speeds I had them make into three speeds and bought the parts necessary to run them either with or without the reverser.

Tom G.

Offline Steves V Drive

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 10:58:55 AM »
The "room to grow" argument makes a good point- at that price level, I would much rather buy it one and never think about it again.  It looks like I can pick up a used 4-speed CS1 for around $3500, put another $750 in clutch packs and bearings, and have a transmission I won't have to worry about.  Any idea how much the reversers are for the CS series?  That's kind of an important chunk to me- streetability (and parkability) is a real requirement.

The more I talk to guys who have been there and think about it, the more I drift away from the "little brother" transmission.(DanBadger link @ http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=143324;topic
So after reading your post not knowing a lot about the Lenco trans but I'm interested in get a reverse in a old V-Drive boat that I restored and I'm working with limited space between the V-Drive and the flywheel??/ You mentioned $750.00 for a clutch pack ??/ I'm only looking at using the reverse box behind the FE Ford 390 in this boat so I'm wondering where this clutch :roll: pack go's and if its going to be a requirement in the (just) reverse application??/ I'm leaning towards the CS1 but I want to know what the action from forward to reverse is going to be and at what speeds :-P I can engage it ??/ Also being a manual box I don't guess there's any way of of get a cooling system on just the reverse box is there??/ 

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 01:29:27 PM »
  A CS-1 is good for 3500 H.P. and  unnecessary for the salt.  I just sold mine  (4 spd with rev/neutral, shifters, and blanket) for $4,000 on Racing Junk.
  I am now installing a CS-3 five speed which is only one inch longer (built for comp eleminator vehicles) and is good for 1800 H.P.
  The CS-3 takes less horsepower to operate as each transmission has fewer clutch plates and smaller everything and a better selection of gear ratios.
  Also keep in mind that we don't shock the tires on the salt and with a Lenco you can vary how hard you want it to shift.
  Vents can be bought from Tim McAmis Race Cars.                     
                                                                                      Bob Drury  (360) 696-1428
Bob Drury