Author Topic: Roll cage mounting points for non-unibody roll cage  (Read 2860 times)

Offline BIGREDTODD

• New folks
Roll cage mounting points for non-unibody roll cage
« on: November 02, 2010, 05:22:23 PM »
Our subject is a 1962 F-100, that will be running in both E/PP and C/PP classes. Part of my task list is to install outriggers, for lack of a better term, on the sides of the frame rails for the roll cage to mount and/or weld to.

It seems that most of the discussion, and specific criteria given on the subject refer to unitized construction vehicles. My question has multiple parts:

1. Is theres a minimum/maximum allowable pad area for the cage to mount to?
2. Can the down tube be welded to a flange that is bolted to this outrigger?
3. Is there a minimum/maximum allowable distance required from the edge of the frame section for the cage to be welded/mounted?
4. Does the frame (factory open "C" channel) require boxing plates at locations receiving these mounts?

My initial plan is to weld formed 1/4" steel angles (with welded 1/4" gussets) to the side of the frame at all locations requiring down tubes. I plan to allow for a 6" x 6" horizontal surface for the cage fabricator/installer to work with. I had also considered machining holes on the vertical plane of the angle to allow for more weld area, if required or advantageous for strength.

Thanks for the advice!
Todd
Universal = It will fit anything else

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Roll cage mounting points for non-unibody roll cage
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 01:59:33 AM »
This is a question for the SCTA techs. We can give you our input but they have the final say so.

Go to www.scta-bni.org
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 09:56:05 AM »
IMO eventho the body/bed is a unibody the truck has a frame and the down tubes should be attached to them. My 1940 Chevrolet obviously has a frame but it too is insde of where I sat. Mounts as you described are also welded to the frame for roll bar mounting. I believe you are correct in your thinking and the practice of what you are describing is the normal. Not sure on the 6 x 6 but you may need to tie those together under the body I'm sure smaller ones would not. Steve Davies will respond to drawings and your calls...Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline BIGREDTODD

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 12:02:26 PM »
Appreciate the input gents...I sent Steve an email. I'll post the answer I'm given in the event that someone else is looking for the same information for their build.

Todd
Universal = It will fit anything else

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 09:53:47 AM »
We will have the same issue  ---I looked at and was shown several pickups at WF.  I think we are going to use  4 verticals in the rear, one straight down to the frame and one near the side of the cab from the outside of the upper halo down untill a 45 will intersect  a 1/4 plate mounted on the outside of the frame rail. The tube will be cut at a 45 to be welded to the vertical frame plate. These to verticals will not be inline, so that diagonals and x braces will be possible across the back of the drivers compartment.. ymmv
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!