Author Topic: Harv's Transmission Adapter...  (Read 4739 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Harv's Transmission Adapter...
« on: December 26, 2005, 02:54:45 PM »

I've also just posted a new page on Harv's lakester construction.

It shows how he adapted a Mazda transmission to a Saturn.  It was a lot of work and he has done a great job with not much more than a saws-all, a file (his mill) and a welder.  I wouldn't of tackled this.

Good work Harv  :D .

You can see what he did ( HERE ).

c ya, Sum

Offline RICK

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 07:24:41 PM »
Looks great. Incredible craftsmanship. But I have a question. After all the welding around the bell housing, Does that make the aluminum soft?  The reason I ask is because I welded up some cracks in a bell housing on an old dump truck, and a week later the attaching bolts pulled through. I was told I should have heat treated it after welding, wouldn't want anyone to make the mistakes I have.

thanks Rick
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline hitz

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 06:03:08 PM »
Quote from: RICK
Looks great. Incredible craftsmanship. But I have a question. After all the welding around the bell housing, Does that make the aluminum soft?  The reason I ask is because I welded up some cracks in a bell housing on an old dump truck, and a week later the attaching bolts pulled through. I was told I should have heat treated it after welding, wouldn't want anyone to make the mistakes I have.

thanks Rick
[/color]

Rick,
I know the 6061-T6 does get soft when you weld it. The castings are of unknown grade so you are in the dark about what the weld area is like. I usually file it to make sure it doesn't get too hard (brittle). The Mazda transmission case didn't weld well at all. I'm planning on putting a few 6061 T6 ribs from the 6061 plate over the Mazda case. I don't know anything about heat treating aluminum and I doubt if a piece that was fabricated from 3 different pieces could be heat treated with accuracy. Sometimes I just roll the dice :roll: . Thank for the heads up, I hadn't thought about the bolt threads. In this case only one of the large bolts of the four, threads into the part that has been welded. It will be one more thing to keep an eye on. If it torques down OK I probably wouldn't worry about that part of it. Maybe someone else can shine a little light on this subject?

Thanks for the concern.

Harv