Author Topic: 1973 camaro AA/CGC  (Read 120894 times)

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
Re: 1973 camaro AA/CGC
« Reply #240 on: September 12, 2013, 03:07:05 PM »
You busted me Bill. Don't tell anyone I go that way ok? I'll post some pics soon.
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #241 on: September 29, 2014, 03:01:24 PM »
I'm still alive. And thank God Mr. Poteet is too.
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #242 on: October 04, 2014, 10:29:16 PM »
Jeff:

Lets get that double A Classic Gas Coupe finished up. We ain't getting any younger. I cannot seem to get my junk together so I will just crew for you!

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Paolo Castellano

« Reply #243 on: November 13, 2014, 10:48:05 AM »
dimples are the same on both sides.

Mad skills! Great work!

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #244 on: November 19, 2014, 10:11:01 AM »
Ok , so............................................................ I'm back. AND I'm back working on the Camaro :-D Got the headers pretty much done except for the E.G.T. and O2 sensor bungs. Now I'm working on my ballast boxes. Basically I've enclosed the backseat area of the car. Built a box per say. I plan on having individual 25 LB. bags of lead. Place them in the box. Bolt the lid on. Then my water tanks will be bolted on top and of course to the cage. My question to you folks is as follows.................................Is my idea legal? Has anyone else tried this method of ballast? Think it will work?

Offline dw230

« Reply #245 on: November 19, 2014, 02:28:37 PM »
I think you would be better served to place the weight boxes under the floor, between the axle center lines.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jl222

« Reply #246 on: November 19, 2014, 03:26:09 PM »
Ok , so............................................................ I'm back. AND I'm back working on the Camaro :-D Got the headers pretty much done except for the E.G.T. and O2 sensor bungs. Now I'm working on my ballast boxes. Basically I've enclosed the backseat area of the car. Built a box per say. I plan on having individual 25 LB. bags of lead. Place them in the box. Bolt the lid on. Then my water tanks will be bolted on top and of course to the cage. My question to you folks is as follows.................................Is my idea legal? Has anyone else tried this method of ballast? Think it will work?

The 222 Camaro has two boxes, welded to frame, box top bolted with several 5/16 bolts, behind the rear tires, filled with lead ingots melted from wheel weights, batteries on top. Guessing at size but about 12x10 and 8'' deep.

JL222

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #247 on: November 19, 2014, 05:42:58 PM »
I think you would be better served to place the weight boxes under the floor, between the axle center lines.

DW
[/quote
Point noted. I am also going to run a one inch thick plate under the car for a more central center of gravity. Or lower. However you want to put it. Two of them. One under each side and about two feet by four feet or so. At least that's what I'm thinking. Going for about a 6500 LB weight total. :? :? :?

Offline dw230

« Reply #248 on: November 19, 2014, 06:18:52 PM »
You need to get permission from the committee chair of the category/class you want to run regards the under car allowances. See section 16.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #249 on: November 20, 2014, 12:21:27 AM »
You need to get permission from the committee chair of the category/class you want to run regards the under car allowances. See section 16.

DW
ok  will do  thx DW

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #250 on: November 20, 2014, 12:45:26 AM »
All Right...Jeff's back on the Bonneville Camaro. I have missed this build while you worked on the 1/4 Chevelle. Lets get with it Jeff and upload some pics.

Bill

ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #251 on: December 10, 2014, 12:13:59 PM »
Ok so I have a question and I hope you guys might be able to steer me in a direction that I have not played with before. I'm playing with my front suspension and I was wondering........................Now I know the 911 roadster has no front or rear suspension., My question is........Has anyone tried running a door car with no front suspension. ????? I mean I understand it has steering. Obviously :roll: but what about running car on the bump stop???? Does anyone know if this is possible???????? And what would be the down side or up side????? Help.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #252 on: December 10, 2014, 01:07:08 PM »
Ok so I have a question and I hope you guys might be able to steer me in a direction that I have not played with before. I'm playing with my front suspension and I was wondering........................Now I know the 911 roadster has no front or rear suspension., My question is........Has anyone tried running a door car with no front suspension. ????? I mean I understand it has steering. Obviously :roll: but what about running car on the bump stop???? Does anyone know if this is possible???????? And what would be the down side or up side????? Help.

We are considering doing some thing....

.... similar to what Tom Burkland did with his Datsun.  He ran a custom tube axle in the front and both axles swung on trailer leaf springs front and back and the springs had shackles on both ends and were located with bars.  Less than an inch of travel and the car had a lot of downforce at speed so from about 180 on up was on the stops (so more or less solid).

I personally hope we have the time to try this out, but sure hope we don't upset how the car drives since it drives so nice now.  Now we have A-arms and have very little travel on the coil-overs and have stops that we might be on at speed.  The rules do say that you can't run a-arms without springs.  My personal opinion is unless you have a really sophisticated suspension that at higher speeds, I'll say over 250, the suspension just doesn't have time to react to things.  You are traveling over the distance of a football field in a second.  Unfortunately really fast cars need really good tracks (one exception I know of was Speed Demon ran course 1 in 2013 when a number of people thought the course was too rough).  If you are running a slower car and have suspension there will be years when you can still run and the fast guys don't take their cars off the trailer,

Sumner
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 01:09:29 PM by Sumner »

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #253 on: December 10, 2014, 06:23:38 PM »
That is some good info Sumner> Thx. would anyone else like to chime in on this subject? I think the more input the better.

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #254 on: December 10, 2014, 09:14:13 PM »
My 'liner was going to be solid but after walking around the course and checking things out, I realized I didn't want to be a trailer queen! That's why I went with suspension.