Author Topic: 1973 camaro AA/CGC  (Read 121199 times)

Offline bvillercr

Re: 1973 camaro AA/CGC
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 08:36:23 PM »
So let me get this straight Lead. No weight so you can get up to speed, but you can't get the power to the track?

Hummmm.........
betcha he's one of those asphalt landspeed guys.  :-o :-o :-o, but thats ok too. the key word being "SPEED" :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

I have seen his car on the salt, #630 red camaro.  Hey, 258 in that type of car is pretty darn good.  Hot Rod camaro runs about the same speed. :cheers:

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 08:42:55 PM »
Now you've gone and done it! You've given us enough info to criticise you on.
   1. The class you selected, As I recall the record is over 250. I would be going after a "softer" record on my first try at Bonneville.
  2. 72 Camaro/608= With that body/ engine combo, you'll be making more power than the body will aero.So you should expect to experience wheelspin before you get to 250, if not entire vehicle spin?
  3. The rollcage= Only 120ft? Well that will be a good start. I prefer 1.625 (1 5/8) x .134  The smaller diameter bends tighter to give the driver more room inside. Don't be afraid to use extra bracing. And don't be afraid to cut the roof off to build your cage. I know that sounds CRAZY, but GOOD welds all the way around the tube are critical. And if you are not a good welder, hire one. Roll cages,,,I could go on and on,,,well on to number four.
  4.Where are the pictures? We need pics so we can drool and cry. A little out of envy,,, or jealousy.

Sounds to be a really cool project/journey. Sounds like you're acquiring some really cool parts(jealous). And as always,, Make it safe, and try to have some fun doing it.

Good luck,   RICK
1. the first year is licensing and shakedown, break personal record of 200plus. next year go AA/CBGC. got too good a deal to pass up, and it's enough to do 200 and get me in trouble. actually that bullet is good for 280 in a 98 firebird. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
2. we'll just keep adding weight till it works.
3. 120 ft. to start. i'll be down low in the car so i have plenty of room for not quite so tight bends. i'm a cut holes in the floor and drop the cage down to weld kinda guy. and best friend is certified welder.
4. as soon as i get the car.(saturday, nov.6) morning for car-afternoon for bullet. as soon as my new pretty babies arrive i'll post pics.
5. thank you for the encouragement.
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 08:53:25 PM »
Troy, don't forget those guys from New York? that ran 268 mph in a 1968!!! Firebird only a few years ago. Can't recall the name now. Just a blown big block chevy like any other.  :wink:

And yes, 200 anything is damned fast......     :-)      It's about time some of the early gen cars started running faster, I always said they could........  8-)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 08:56:12 PM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 09:11:15 PM »
What I mean is why add one thousand , when 500 will do. Thanks

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 09:11:52 PM »
Troy, don't forget those guys from New York? that ran 268 mph in a 1968!!! Firebird only a few years ago. Can't recall the name now. Just a blown big block chevy like any other.  :wink:

And yes, 200 anything is damned fast......     :-)      It's about time some of the early gen cars started running faster, I always said they could........  8-)
yeah well. you guys are runnin' really f$%^&*g good too. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :-D :-D :-D
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 09:42:32 PM »

wow, no I didn't know that!  That's flipping haullin in a 68, well haullin period! :cheers:

LittleLiner

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 12:44:41 PM »
. . . . . have either quick change or 12 bolt/2:14 gears. not sure which yet.  . . .
This sounds like a really great project.  I look forward to your posts as you do this build.

One little wrinkle in the rules that might impact your build.  The rules for Gas Coupe class requires either an engine swap, a quick change rear or a non-stock blower.  Any one of those three is what takes the car out of the Production class and into the gas coupe class.  You will be OK in the Blown Gas Coupe class with the non-stock blower but in the Unblown class you will need the quick change unless you can show that the 608 is an engine swap.  The 72 Camaro was available with a big block 396 from the factory.  I don't have the rule book with me today to look up the exact page that has the definition of an engine swap.  You should look that up rather than relying on my less-than-perfect memory.  I might be wrong (it happens) but I recall that the 608 is an oversize 396/427.  Maybe someone more familiar with the 608 can add something to this point. 

Assuming I am right on this, (and you decide not to run a quick change rear,) you could consider AA/CGALT or maybe AA/CPRO

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 08:55:24 PM »
. . . . . have either quick change or 12 bolt/2:14 gears. not sure which yet.  . . .
This sounds like a really great project.  I look forward to your posts as you do this build.

One little wrinkle in the rules that might impact your build.  The rules for Gas Coupe class requires either an engine swap, a quick change rear or a non-stock blower.  Any one of those three is what takes the car out of the Production class and into the gas coupe class.  You will be OK in the Blown Gas Coupe class with the non-stock blower but in the Unblown class you will need the quick change unless you can show that the 608 is an engine swap.  The 72 Camaro was available with a big block 396 from the factory.  I don't have the rule book with me today to look up the exact page that has the definition of an engine swap.  You should look that up rather than relying on my less-than-perfect memory.  I might be wrong (it happens) but I recall that the 608 is an oversize 396/427.  Maybe someone more familiar with the 608 can add something to this point. 

Assuming I am right on this, (and you decide not to run a quick change rear,) you could consider AA/CGALT or maybe AA/CPRO
i think i'll be ok with the 608 because it is a "tall" block, not a dealer or factory installed option. but you do bring up a very good point and on monday morning i will be calling lee kennedy to make sure. thank you for the insight.

Offline AJR192

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 09:32:54 PM »
Kinda funny how some of you guys are bagging on Leadfoot. Considering he holds a few records that are pretty impressive I think he has a pretty good handle on what to do with his car. Maybe you should pay attention to what he is doing right instead of what you THINK he is doing wrong.......

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 09:41:36 PM »
i think i'll be ok with the 608 because it is a "tall" block, not a dealer or factory installed option. but you do bring up a very good point and on monday morning i will be calling lee kennedy to make sure. thank you for the insight.

Make sure you get it in writing, otherwise its just an opinion and wont hold water if you get protested. Just ask some of the guys that have lost records recently.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2010, 10:16:27 PM »

Make sure you get it in writing, otherwise its just an opinion and wont hold water if you get protested. Just ask some of the guys that have lost records recently.  Tony
just spoke to lee kennedy and he told me to shoot him an email with my build intentions and class desires. there is a committee meeting on saturday so i'll something in writing from the head honchos telling what i can or can't do. i'm keeping my fingers crossed cause i've already spent a ton of money. :-o :-o :-o :-o :roll: :roll:

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
Kinda funny how some of you guys are bagging on Leadfoot. Considering he holds a few records that are pretty impressive I think he has a pretty good handle on what to do with his car. Maybe you should pay attention to what he is doing right instead of what you THINK he is doing wrong.......
wait a minute...............who's capping on who? i don't think i've shown anyone any disrespect. i never said leadfoot was doing anything with his car. why are you raining on my build? :-P :-P :-P can't we all just get along???????????????????????????????????????????????????????peace. :-D :-D :-D :-D

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 06:50:33 AM »
Tall block should not qualify for an eng. swap---I would be VERY supprised other wise
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 05:39:13 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2010, 08:28:56 AM »
Tall block or short, they are the same 'engine design family'. I too, would be surprised if it counts as an engine swap.

Good luck, though!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:08:56 AM by 38flattie »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 09:57:03 AM »
I agree.................... 8-)
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro