Author Topic: 1973 camaro AA/CGC  (Read 120891 times)

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
1973 camaro AA/CGC
« on: November 01, 2010, 08:04:15 PM »
well, here we go. this is number one entry of i'm sure to be many. i pick up the car on saturday morning and then the engine in the evening.  have alot of work to do, will post pics as we go. this is going to be a 1972 camaro, 608 in. dry sump mech. fuel injection for a bullet, 4 speed, have either quick change or 12 bolt/2:14 gears. not sure which yet. so there ya go. the kaos has begun. then it really starts on saturday. let the build begin. :-D :-D :-D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 09:02:22 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline bvillercr

Re: 1973 camaro AA/CGC
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 08:22:38 PM »
Good luck with the build, and don't take the critism seriously.  Some people will give advice that others won't agree with, bear with it and have fun. :cheers:

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 08:31:04 PM »
Good luck with the build, and don't take the critism seriously.  Some people will give advice that others won't agree with, bear with it and have fun. :cheers:
thanks and will do......................or won't :-D :-D :-D. i know how the web is. i usually only take to heart from the people whom i trust and can shake there hand as i look them in the eye. i know this place can "rib" alot. i've got a great sound board in macdonald and pitts. :-D :-D :-D :-D
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 08:42:21 PM »
So a quick question. Do you already have the 2.14:1 gears for the 12 bolt?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Motornoggin

• New folks
  • Speed Freak
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 08:50:02 PM »
Lots of info here, MOST good , some not so good. Take it with a grain of.... Salt. :-D

Looking forward to your updates!

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 08:51:31 PM »
not in my possesion but i have a friend. :-D :-D :-D they seem to be kind of a rare oddity, interesting :-o :-o :-o

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 10:39:08 PM »
today i ordered a full containment seat from DCW and 120ft. 13/4 x .156 DOM for the cage from my steel supplier.  :-D :-D :-D

Offline Motornoggin

• New folks
  • Speed Freak
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 11:36:52 PM »
today i ordered a full containment seat from DCW and 120ft. 13/4 x .156 DOM for the cage from my steel supplier.  :-D :-D :-D

That has a distinct aire of commitment!  :cheers:  :-D

Offline RICK

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 11:50:16 AM »
Now you've gone and done it! You've given us enough info to criticise you on.
   1. The class you selected, As I recall the record is over 250. I would be going after a "softer" record on my first try at Bonneville.
  2. 72 Camaro/608= With that body/ engine combo, you'll be making more power than the body will aero.So you should expect to experience wheelspin before you get to 250, if not entire vehicle spin?
  3. The rollcage= Only 120ft? Well that will be a good start. I prefer 1.625 (1 5/8) x .134  The smaller diameter bends tighter to give the driver more room inside. Don't be afraid to use extra bracing. And don't be afraid to cut the roof off to build your cage. I know that sounds CRAZY, but GOOD welds all the way around the tube are critical. And if you are not a good welder, hire one. Roll cages,,,I could go on and on,,,well on to number four.
  4.Where are the pictures? We need pics so we can drool and cry. A little out of envy,,, or jealousy.

Sounds to be a really cool project/journey. Sounds like you're acquiring some really cool parts(jealous). And as always,, Make it safe, and try to have some fun doing it.

Good luck,   RICK
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 12:01:42 PM »
Good luck on your build and remember : If it was easy everyone would do it " I have a 1971 Camaro and have run 258 mph . The one thing that makes my car diffrent is that I don't run the weight most cars are running. I also Have a 2.47 rear with 28 inch tire.dia.

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 07:20:50 PM »
Good luck on your build and remember : If it was easy everyone would do it " I have a 1971 Camaro and have run 258 mph . The one thing that makes my car diffrent is that I don't run the weight most cars are running. I also Have a 2.47 rear with 28 inch tire.dia.
why not run the weight? what class are you running? and at that speed in my class you'd have a record if you could back it up.

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 07:32:53 PM »
Hello with the weight issue I feel I can get up to speed faster, also I hold 2 records A\CFALT @AA\FALT Getting the power to the salt is the issue. With that model car it has a huge grill which needs addressed. Look for Car #630 in Bonneville pictures, I don't have any that I can send at this time.

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 07:46:14 PM »
This lap top sucks. Hey I forgot to mention that a car similar to yours was at speedweek out of Texas I think Called In the Cut or something like that. It had 632 inch fuel injected engine a real nice car.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 08:16:28 PM »
So let me get this straight Lead. No weight so you can get up to speed, but you can't get the power to the track?

Hummmm.........
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 08:19:19 PM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 08:25:04 PM »
So let me get this straight Lead. No weight so you can get up to speed, but you can't get the power to the track?

Hummmm.........
betcha he's one of those asphalt landspeed guys.  :-o :-o :-o, but thats ok too. the key word being "SPEED" :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D