Author Topic: 1973 camaro AA/CGC  (Read 120890 times)

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
Re: 1973 camaro AA/CGC
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2010, 10:16:54 AM »
ok , ready for this. how about running in AA/CPRO if scta won't let me run in CGC?
If your engine is a big block chevy (and not a swap) then you can run CPRO.  Remember to include a horn, radiator and stock gas tank from a 72 Camaro (horn and gas tank do not have to be used, just mounted in original location.)

Something I have been wondering is . .  if you can (within the rules) change year of production by swapping out bumpers, grills, and lights that differed from year to year.  Fact is that apparently Chevy dropped the big block from the Camaro in the 73 thru 81 model.  So a big block chevy IS an engine swap in a 73 through 81.  I am guessing here  . . . so maybe someone that really knows something about this can chime in.
i am converting to mechanical. either hilborn or enderle will do it and the set up. so as it is a complete running package. they seem very interested because they are used to going from mech. to electric, not the way i'm going, electric to mech. copy on the mounted and not working. i'm still waiting to hear from lee kennedy on a definative answer on class. i think i am starting to understand the rule book alittle better..................with some help from you guys. thanks :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
The cylinder heads are likely to be an issue here. Per the rules in production the port placement & valve arrangement must be in the standard location. The Pontiac heads were rolled over and the intake ports were spread.
If it were me I'd put a quick change in it to run classic gas couple or put a 'glass front end on it and run classic gas altered.

Also wondering are you going to be coverting the induction system? I seem to recall this engine being EFI.

Not trying to rain on your parade, this engine package has been around for over 25 years, you are not the first to look at the application.
And as we speak a more definitive wording on engine types for production, gas coupe, etc are being looked at for 2011.
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2010, 02:47:31 PM »
I certainly would think Dave would be a great asset in your corner. What a awesome speed in a door slammer. 308 MPH !!

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2010, 05:19:50 PM »
I certainly would think Dave would be a great asset in your corner. What a awesome speed in a door slammer. 308 MPH !!
yeah..............................dave is the man. :-D :-D :-D. he's not done either, he'll raise that bar just alittle more before he calls it quits.
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2010, 04:15:48 PM »
So, Is it an engine swap or not?

What class are you planning on running?

Ready to tell us the engine details?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2010, 06:48:47 PM »
So, Is it an engine swap or not?

What class are you planning on running?

Ready to tell us the engine details?
hey flattie,
i wish i could tell ya but as of today, i am still waiting for that email from lee kennedy. he told me i would have an answer in writing that following monday. i think it's been about 5 weeks now and i'm still waiting. but that's ok. i'll just make the camaro a 73 and my engine will be considered a swap on account of that in 1973 a bigblock was not available in a camaro. so it should count as a CGC. if not, i'll set the motor back and seal up headlites and grill and go for CGALT. then eventually CBGC or CBGALT
what kind of details do you want from DAS BULLET?
and got new firesuit this week. an SFI-20 so i'll be ready. also got some time in on the ole girl today, got her mostly stripped down for cage installand other fab work.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2010, 07:03:39 PM »

hey flattie,
what kind of details do you want from DAS BULLET?
[/quote]

Not much, Just ALL of the details! :-D
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2010, 09:01:34 PM »
My opinion, the only way a BBC will be considered an Eng swap is if you put SPREAD PORT heads on it then you should be an Eng swap.  Siamiesse ports are not going to be considered and Eng swap. Put the QC in it and you are a GC instead of Prod.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2010, 09:15:19 PM »
sparky, refer back to reply 48. as mr.fox put it.raised deck-engine swap................no? working on a set of 2:13 gears for my 12 bolt, if that falls thru, which it probably won't. then i'd put the QC.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2010, 01:24:13 AM »
pushing strings and herding cats ---

my opinion-- your time is better spent elsewhere

obviously your milage varies
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2010, 08:47:20 PM »
pushing strings and herding cats ---

my opinion-- your time is better spent elsewhere

obviously your milage varies
not sure i understand :? :? :?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2010, 09:09:41 PM »
TALL deck is not going to be an eng swap---the rules TELL you what you have to have!  Eng swap, quick change, or a non stock supercharger.

the Preveiouly unwritten "understanding is" it is NOT an eng swap if it used a head, manifold combination that was available on other production engs available in that body production series.( A BBC in a 55 Chev is an eng swap  a tall deck BBC in a CAMARO ois NOT.

That has now been addressed a wee small bit in GT --with the new rules release.

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2010, 07:53:33 PM »
TALL deck is not going to be an eng swap---the rules TELL you what you have to have!  Eng swap, quick change, or a non stock supercharger.

the Preveiouly unwritten "understanding is" it is NOT an eng swap if it used a head, manifold combination that was available on other production engs available in that body production series.( A BBC in a 55 Chev is an eng swap  a tall deck BBC in a CAMARO ois NOT.

That has now been addressed a wee small bit in GT --with the new rules release.
well i am still waiting on a reply from "the committee"  i like how rich fox in reply #48 puts it. but if that still won't fly, well then i guess i'll just have to install my QC instead of the 2:13 12 bolt.either way i'll be running CGC.......................................................for now.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2010, 09:25:10 PM »
Think about, it there are engines that the deck height canges with the displacment that are all stock Olds and Pontiac come to mind

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2010, 07:58:09 PM »
happy day, :-D :-D :-D. ordered my bolt in front clip for the camaro.  a scotts hot rods piece. so basically it's a modern suspension front end. once i get that, then the build will begin. the car is gutted ready for the fab stage of the project. so i am figuring that the week between x-mas and new years , the real work will begin. :-D :-D :-D
if you all can't wait for my pics, go to www.scottshotrods.com and look for camaro front clips and you'll see the subframe that i'm using. ordered without swaybar, motormounts, or brakes with a manual rack. :-D :-D :-D

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2011, 08:49:32 AM »
Whats up Doc??????