Author Topic: 1973 camaro AA/CGC  (Read 121319 times)

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
Re: 1973 camaro AA/CGC
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2010, 07:49:16 PM »
today i got a roof flap unit to install on the camaro, i also got my seat from ultra shield. one of those full containment jobbies. what a nice seat. custom to me. fits like a glove. got it set up in front of the TV so i can start getting some seat time :? :? :? :-D
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2010, 07:53:24 PM »
What are yiou doing in front of the TV? Get out to the shop. :evil: :evil: :evil: :-D

Pete

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2010, 08:00:34 PM »
for after work. till it gets mounted in the car. :-D :-D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 08:04:27 PM by BALS aSALT »
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2010, 08:01:33 PM »
in case of spin.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 08:03:39 PM by BALS aSALT »

LittleLiner

« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2010, 11:25:45 PM »
ok, which class DOES NOT REQUIRE that all the factory stuff works. i don't want to deal with lights, horn, turn signals, stop lights. hi/lo. i just want a race car.  . . .

None of the class rules require that the "factory stuff works."  Example would be headlights - In Pro and in Gas Coupe the lights must be there but need not work.  You don't even need to have them wired.

Go back to the rule book (SCTA 2010) and look at these pages -
page 62, 1st sentence
page 67, 2nd paragraph
page 73, 2nd paragraph

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2010, 02:58:39 AM »
ok, which class DOES NOT REQUIRE that all the factory stuff works. i don't want to deal with lights, horn, turn signals, stop lights. hi/lo. i just want a race car.  . . .

None of the class rules require that the "factory stuff works."  Example would be headlights - In Pro and in Gas Coupe the lights must be there but need not work.  You don't even need to have them wired.

Go back to the rule book (SCTA 2010) and look at these pages -
page 62, 1st sentence
page 67, 2nd paragraph
page 73, 2nd paragraph
see, now when i read the rules and upon reading those paragraphs, i was understanding them as those items had to be there and work :-o :-o :-o :?  :? :? but if they only have present to be legal................. well then mister, we're \in business. :-D :-D :-D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: thanks little for clarifying that for me.it's amazing, i've read that book 100 times, but it takes just alittle expanation for me to understand it. thanks again.

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2010, 05:05:24 PM »
So have you had chance to look inside that motor ?

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
So have you had chance to look inside that motor ?
just under the valve covers. can see the lifter bores have been bushed. all jesel , rockers, lifters, timimg belt.got a file with engine , except i left it with the seller to make copies. the guy i bought the bullet from is well respected, have known him for 30 years. and i trust what he tells me. he has never steered me wrong. so when he said he had a bullet for sale, i told him i was interested, and i got a better deal than anyone else would have got. i would have bought it sight unseen if i had to. but only from this guy. :-D he's advising me on my car and i trust what he says. he does hold a blue hat in a 308 mph doorslammer. been doin' it 50 plus years. so i am pretty sure he knows what he's doing.  :-) :-) :-)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 07:41:43 PM by BALS aSALT »

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2010, 07:44:44 PM »
ok , ready for this. how about running in AA/CPRO if scta won't let me run in CGC?

Offline dw230

« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2010, 09:15:42 PM »
I'm guessing your consultant is Dave Macdonald.

Good choice, please give Dave my best wishes. I don't get a chance to see all my friends at the salt. There has to be something wrong with that!

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2010, 09:25:04 PM »
bingo, will do dw.

Offline Bville701

« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2010, 10:51:52 PM »
Dave is great, and deffinately won't steer you wrong! He knows what he's doing!   :cheers: Tell him that the LeFevers say hi as well.   :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

LittleLiner

« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2010, 11:18:39 PM »
ok , ready for this. how about running in AA/CPRO if scta won't let me run in CGC?
If your engine is a big block chevy (and not a swap) then you can run CPRO.  Remember to include a horn, radiator and stock gas tank from a 72 Camaro (horn and gas tank do not have to be used, just mounted in original location.)

Something I have been wondering is . .  if you can (within the rules) change year of production by swapping out bumpers, grills, and lights that differed from year to year.  Fact is that apparently Chevy dropped the big block from the Camaro in the 73 thru 81 model.  So a big block chevy IS an engine swap in a 73 through 81.  I am guessing here  . . . so maybe someone that really knows something about this can chime in.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2010, 11:37:10 PM »
If your engine is a big block chevy (and not a swap) then you can run CPRO.  Remember to include a horn, radiator and stock gas tank from a 72 Camaro (horn and gas tank do not have to be used, just mounted in original location.)

Something I have been wondering is . .  if you can (within the rules) change year of production by swapping out bumpers, grills, and lights that differed from year to year.  Fact is that apparently Chevy dropped the big block from the Camaro in the 73 thru 81 model.  So a big block chevy IS an engine swap in a 73 through 81.  I am guessing here  . . . so maybe someone that really knows something about this can chime in.

The cylinder heads are likely to be an issue here. Per the rules in production the port placement & valve arrangement must be in the standard location. The Pontiac heads were rolled over and the intake ports were spread.
If it were me I'd put a quick change in it to run classic gas couple or put a 'glass front end on it and run classic gas altered.

Also wondering are you going to be coverting the induction system? I seem to recall this engine being EFI.

Not trying to rain on your parade, this engine package has been around for over 25 years, you are not the first to look at the application.
And as we speak a more definitive wording on engine types for production, gas coupe, etc are being looked at for 2011.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline dw230

« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2010, 11:38:06 PM »
Monzas caused a problem with swapping body parts around. Started with Jack Dolan and his 'car of many classes', but that is a lesson in history for those that wish to be long haulers.

Bottom line, if a body part is for a GM 'F' body, across the year range, then it is OK for use. Body parts for 'G' bodies, etc all fall into the same rules. This is all GM of course, Ford and others must meet the same criteria. It is up to the entant to prove that the stuff they use is legal stuff.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth