Author Topic: 1973 camaro AA/CGC  (Read 120899 times)

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
Re: 1973 camaro AA/CGC
« Reply #255 on: December 10, 2014, 11:23:57 PM »
I'm not going total solid suspension . I probably should've mentioned that earlier. I plan on having just a little rear suspension. I'll be running leafspring rear with traction bars and the quickchange. If i do have any front suspension it will be minimal. One inch or less. Rear i'm hoping to have just a bit more. I ask this because by the time i get the car weighted down, I'll have minimal travel left in front so I'm thinking just make the front solid. I do understand the course is not smooth as glass, but if it worked for the 911 roadster, why wouldn't it work for me at the same weight or more? Or less, gotta get out there and try it.
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #256 on: December 10, 2014, 11:29:14 PM »
Jeff:

Good to see you back. I am interested in the answers and ideas.

Take care friend.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline jl222

« Reply #257 on: December 11, 2014, 02:28:07 PM »
Ok so I have a question and I hope you guys might be able to steer me in a direction that I have not played with before. I'm playing with my front suspension and I was wondering........................Now I know the 911 roadster has no front or rear suspension., My question is........Has anyone tried running a door car with no front suspension. ????? I mean I understand it has steering. Obviously :roll: but what about running car on the bump stop???? Does anyone know if this is possible???????? And what would be the down side or up side????? Help.

One downside is no pitch rotation [ shifting weight to rear tires on acceleration] if top speed is met before running out of track it wouldn't matter. My SUV pitch rotates at every stop. Keeps tire spin down.
 Traction would be limited due to high wheel rate.
 One of the worst rides of my life was in a dune buggy at Pismo Beach beat the crap out of me at every ripple on the soft
sand. Another was a Triumph flat tracker that my brother and I bought at 16 yrs old. OK on smooth pavement but don't
even try to sit down off road.
  As far as suspension not reacting at high speeds, are car coil springs slower [ yea shocks] than valve springs at
8000 rpm?

JL222

JL222

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #258 on: December 11, 2014, 06:29:58 PM »
Ok so I have a question and I hope you guys might be able to steer me in a direction that I have not played with before. I'm playing with my front suspension and I was wondering........................Now I know the 911 roadster has no front or rear suspension., My question is........Has anyone tried running a door car with no front suspension. ????? I mean I understand it has steering. Obviously :roll: but what about running car on the bump stop???? Does anyone know if this is possible???????? And what would be the down side or up side????? Help.

One downside is no pitch rotation [ shifting weight to rear tires on acceleration] if top speed is met before running out of track it wouldn't matter. My SUV pitch rotates at every stop. Keeps tire spin down.
 Traction would be limited due to high wheel rate.
 One of the worst rides of my life was in a dune buggy at Pismo Beach beat the crap out of me at every ripple on the soft
sand. Another was a Triumph flat tracker that my brother and I bought at 16 yrs old. OK on smooth pavement but don't
even try to sit down off road.
  As far as suspension not reacting at high speeds, are car coil springs slower [ yea shocks] than valve springs at
8000 rpm?

JL222

JL222

Thanks JL I will take that into consideration. Maybe I should mention that the car will have minimal travel in front. so little that the shocks are about bottomed out. So I guess I'm not looking at a solid front but rather a very limited travel front.

it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #259 on: August 05, 2016, 11:03:40 AM »
Well fellas, we are about to leave for speed week. When I say we, I mean Dave MacDonald and team. I am crewing as car chief and second driver. Going to get my license passes out of the way. Then its game on. I am selling the Bals Asalt Camaro. No, I'm not giving up on my quest for the Red Hat. I just have a proven piece under my ass and I dont see a need to spend anymore time or money on an unproven piece. That said, I'm not a poser anymore. I'm actually a racer now. :roll: :roll: :roll: Hope all who are going to speed week have a great time. Go Fast and Be Safe. See you on the salt.

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #260 on: August 27, 2020, 12:07:43 PM »
No need to start a new topic. Just letting you know I'm still here and and still speeding. I've purchased Dave Macdonalds Firebird and we're going after more records with the car  going to the 2020 World Finals. fingers crossed.

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #261 on: August 27, 2020, 12:17:36 PM »
BTW, we are no longer AA/CGC     Now we are AA/GALT 1135

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #262 on: August 27, 2020, 01:22:55 PM »
Pulling for you Brother.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #263 on: August 27, 2020, 02:07:28 PM »
Might as well start with a soft record -- it's only 274.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #264 on: August 27, 2020, 03:06:35 PM »

Stan, he bought MacDonald's car, the Gen IV Firebird. The AA/GAlt record is 308 MPH. Might as well skip the Red hat & Go for Blue...
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #265 on: August 27, 2020, 06:42:28 PM »
I just dyed one of mine -- it's a lot cheaper.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #266 on: August 27, 2020, 07:26:41 PM »
I just dyed one of mine -- it's a lot cheaper.

Rolling on the ground LMAO   :cheers:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline jl222

« Reply #267 on: August 28, 2020, 11:39:12 PM »

Stan, he bought MacDonald's car, the Gen IV Firebird. The AA/GAlt record is 308 MPH. Might as well skip the Red hat & Go for Blue...

GAS AA/GALT  274. 125

FUEL  AA/FALT  308.983 

JL222