Author Topic: 1973 camaro AA/CGC  (Read 121275 times)

Offline Geo

Re: 1973 camaro AA/CGC
« Reply #165 on: March 27, 2011, 10:58:35 PM »
Nice work on the tubes!  The front end looks good!

The fill plates are a good idea, however you need to leave access to the tube to allow them to be cut out.  That's why they spec a gap at the joint when using smaller gussets.  You might want to email tech before you weld them in.  They may need slight modification.

Geo

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #166 on: March 28, 2011, 02:09:13 AM »
There are probably a few details that I would have done differently but that is, without a doubt, one of the strongest and well design cages I have seen! Nice job and excellent workmanship.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #167 on: March 28, 2011, 06:52:17 AM »
er-----if the body is not in the shape you wanted it ---it might---now notice---I said might be hard to do a body off restoration now---- lol  :cheers:  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
« Reply #168 on: March 28, 2011, 08:30:42 AM »
Nice work on the tubes!  The front end looks good!

The fill plates are a good idea, however you need to leave access to the tube to allow them to be cut out.  That's why they spec a gap at the joint when using smaller gussets.  You might want to email tech before you weld them in.  They may need slight modification.

Geo
ALREADY DID THAT AND GOT THE OK FROM MR KENNEDY. PLUS THEY ARE OPEN AT THE CORNERS
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #169 on: March 28, 2011, 08:33:19 AM »
There are probably a few details that I would have done differently but that is, without a doubt, one of the strongest and well design cages I have seen! Nice job and excellent workmanship.

Rex
thanks rex, and what would you have done differently? still time for modifications :-D :-D :-D. but thanks again.
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #170 on: March 28, 2011, 09:23:16 AM »
here's one more of the firewall. it's a 12 gauge piece so i should have no problem with tech in that dept. :-D :-D :-D :-D

......"only 12 guage.....?" I used 1/8 plate!...... and I welded in a whole bunch of 1/8" NPT couplings so that ALL the hoses and lines that went through the fire wall had a means of REALLY being sealed .....
hell, the 12 gauge is only .021 thinner than 1/8. i'll be ok. and the bungs thru the wall are coming. gotta figure out where stuff goes first.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: March 28, 2011, 10:06:29 AM »
lol   "gotta figure out where stuff goes first"  :-)
a lot of time in  LSR builds seem to be waiting for the car or bike to tell one where it wants STUFF---
4 off us yesterday spent most of the afternoon working through hoop and lower rail placements
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #172 on: March 28, 2011, 11:57:38 AM »
Get in touch if you'd like to learn the "secret" of posting photos - with no resizing necessary.  I agree that it's a bother to try and make everything fit, but it's that way to keep the entire file size of the site within reason.  The other way - photobucket - uses basically no space.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #173 on: March 28, 2011, 01:34:35 PM »
i'll do that slim. but later.thanks :-D

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #174 on: March 28, 2011, 01:47:22 PM »
My only change is in your joint design. I do not like to have tube bays that are not triangulated and also do not like to have tubes joined into the middle of other tubes without other tubes at the same joint to distribute the load. Take a look at the attached pic and you will see what I am talking about. Your cage is still very strong and very well built.

PS: the truck frame in the attached pic is an off road truck built at the Herbest Brothers race shop.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Bootleggerjim

• Raced Front Motor Cars on Nitro many years
« Reply #175 on: March 28, 2011, 04:43:08 PM »
That's allot of pipe!
I'm an addict with a 2 tire a day habit..........

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #176 on: March 28, 2011, 08:38:45 PM »
Where are the...oh nevermind. :lol: :cheers:

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #177 on: March 28, 2011, 10:09:06 PM »
My only change is in your joint design. I do not like to have tube bays that are not triangulated and also do not like to have tubes joined into the middle of other tubes without other tubes at the same joint to distribute the load. Take a look at the attached pic and you will see what I am talking about. Your cage is still very strong and very well built.

PS: the truck frame in the attached pic is an off road truck built at the Herbest Brothers race shop.

Rex
wow, that's a cage. i understand what you're saying rex. i'll look at mine closer and see if i can remedy any open spots. i did leave some bars out on the pass.door. like the X and the cross bar across the car and also one upper X bar on driver side for ease of the build. once i'm done inside the car i'll weld in the pre fitted bars to complete the cage.

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #178 on: March 28, 2011, 10:10:20 PM »
and the driver side and thanks again. i'm glad i'm doing something right.

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #179 on: April 10, 2011, 04:19:09 PM »
so now we have added some dimpled died gussets to tie in the body to the cage more than just the rollcage mounting points. got the midplate done and trans crossmember.