Author Topic: 1973 camaro AA/CGC  (Read 121210 times)

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
Re: 1973 camaro AA/CGC
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2011, 12:51:55 AM »
funny car cage is almost done.
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2011, 12:53:16 AM »
still have alot more bars to install.
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2011, 12:56:25 AM »
custom :-D :-D :-D

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2011, 03:35:08 PM »
well i must be doing something right...........................i'm not getting any criticism. no news is good news. :-D :-D :-D

Offline Tman

« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2011, 03:39:30 PM »
Amazing how many sticks of tubing disappear when building a cage huh!?

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2011, 04:13:45 PM »
Amazing how many sticks of tubing disappear when building a cage huh!?
boy you ain't kidding. out of 260 ft. so far we have only scrapped 4 ft. the way i have it figured, we'll use 245 of the 260. so i have to figure out a place for that 11ft. :-D :-D :-D

Offline krusty

« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2011, 07:17:31 PM »
Put a diagonal from the right side cage tube juncture (on the tunnel) to the upper right main hoop. That'll use up about 4'.      vic

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2011, 07:28:12 PM »
Put a diagonal from the right side cage tube juncture (on the tunnel) to the upper right main hoop. That'll use up about 4'.      vic
already have that bar planned. give me another idea.

Offline basher13

« Reply #128 on: February 09, 2011, 07:30:29 PM »
Hows about some in the trunk to tie in parachute/push bar? Looks good :cheers:
118.780mph in a stock(ish) Studebaker

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2011, 09:03:52 PM »
Hows about some in the trunk to tie in parachute/push bar? Looks good :cheers:
already got that set of bars cut for the trunk area. was thinking of an X from main hoop to forward part of trunk like a dragcar and then some additional bracing  for the forward strut bars. but mostly trying to build a really strong box inside the car. :-D

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2011, 11:45:39 PM »
today we threw more bars at the car. x in the roof. x in the doors. more funny car cage and the first of the bars in the rear for push/ parachute. and some bars for seat belts.

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2011, 12:01:11 AM »
here is an other

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2011, 12:05:15 AM »
here is push bar main mount

Offline fastman614

« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2011, 12:28:41 AM »
I have been following this with some interest.... we drag raced a big block powered 1971 Camaro in the 1970s.... we never got it to Bonneville as we had always blown up all of our good parts by speedweek time.... but I wanted to.... I see that the rule book definition of engine swap is NOT the same anymore.... it USED TO STATE that the criteria included bell housing bolt pattern, cylinder head bolt pattern and intake manifold bolt pattern- which would have made the Pontiac Big Chief heads illegal in production as the intake bolt pattern is not the same as a standard big block Chevy.... but that has now  changed....

I am curious though.... did the information you receive clearly state thay your block design met the criteria for it to be considered and engine swap and did you get it in writing?... the "in writing" part and the possession thereof may be critical at record certification time.....

The cage structure looks like it is going to be really good when its all done!

I hope to see you in tech!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2011, 10:23:41 AM »
I have been following this with some interest.... we drag raced a big block powered 1971 Camaro in the 1970s.... we never got it to Bonneville as we had always blown up all of our good parts by speedweek time.... but I wanted to.... I see that the rule book definition of engine swap is NOT the same anymore.... it USED TO STATE that the criteria included bell housing bolt pattern, cylinder head bolt pattern and intake manifold bolt pattern- which would have made the Pontiac Big Chief heads illegal in production as the intake bolt pattern is not the same as a standard big block Chevy.... but that has now  changed....

I am curious though.... did the information you receive clearly state thay your block design met the criteria for it to be considered and engine swap and did you get it in writing?... the "in writing" part and the possession thereof may be critical at record certification time.....

The cage structure looks like it is going to be really good when its all done!

I hope to see you in tech!
yes it met the criteria as engine swap. what i did was change the camaro from a 1972  to a 1973. in 73, camaro was not offered with a bigblock. hence it is a swap. too easy. and aftermarket front clip is considered a safety improvement, so that does not limit me to altered, as for production..well i won't be running in that class. i will concentrate on CGC,CBGC,CGALT, CBFALT,CBGALT. and thank you. i'm glad that we are doing something right here. i'm just sorry that it took so many posts to figure out what class i'll be in. but since we got that issue resolved, we are full speed ahead on the build. i am really pleased with the way it's coming together. this is going to be the safest camaro on the salt. oh..........and one of the fastest. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 10:28:29 AM by BALS aSALT »