Author Topic: Kiwi Sid's liner  (Read 11439 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: Kiwi Sid's liner
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2020, 11:44:43 PM »
Sid,
I was wondering if you were running AABG or AABF class but with a 32 gallon fuel tank I am sure it is AABF!! I really like your use of the Liebherr gears for your over drive. Off road mining equipment is quality stuff and STRONG! They make their stuff our of the best materials and use the best manufacturing procedures and heat treats, good stuff. (4) hairdryers(?) are you doing turbo compounding?

Rex
Yeah it is blown fuel Rex. The Liebherr gears are some high dollar 2" wide monsters that were wrongly ordered for a job that I was hired to assist the Factory guys with in Wyoming & I scarfed them up (free) when they didn't want to haul them back to Germany. The direct drive / overdrive units are separate air shift planetary units after both front & rear transfer cases so they have neutral, direct drive & overdrive. They are custom units built by Mike Strasburg at B&J in Utah who also built a lot of the custom shafts & couplers to connect all this together.
The Detroit 149 Series has four of those turbos on one engine & it donated all four to my project but I'm only using two & have two spares. I couldn't afford new ones at $4600 a piece so I hunted these down also in Rock Springs Wyoming & when I told the guy what they were going on he gave them to me. The engine was off a rock crusher & was wounded so was going to scrap.
This is a tiny budget build because my dollars are really tiny. The engine was an Ebay bargain for $3k. I'm guessing most people didn't know what it was because it was installed inverted in a Cirrus pusher experimental aircraft that had never flown & only been run up a few times. I freshened it up & changed all the valve train, a custom grind roller cam, all the oiling system & intake system.
When I can't afford something I have to either scrounge it or build it, this is a recycle-liner.
  Stan, I just mow my head now, don't need no stinking hair dryers! :-D
  Sid.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 11:47:30 PM by kiwi belly tank »

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
Re: Kiwi Sid's liner
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2020, 11:24:39 AM »
Beautiful vehicle.
What a great build.
Bf
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear