Author Topic: Wings on fuel and gas roadsters  (Read 9017 times)

Offline johnbeck

Wings on fuel and gas roadsters
« on: October 31, 2010, 02:39:01 PM »
If you have an opinion on wings for the vintage roadsters , this would be the week to express it.
I heard that they will be voting on this next weekend :-o
I do beleive that they allready have a class for winged roadsters and they call it modifyed.
Get to your club meetings and get your opinion heard!!
nitro junkie

Offline desotoman

Re: Wings on fuel and gas roadsters
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 03:40:16 PM »
Are you talking about the proposed front spoiler?

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline johnbeck

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 11:26:20 AM »
spoiler , wing ? has anybody seen any pictures or any dimensions on what is being proposed?
nitro junkie

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 12:36:41 PM »
If any aero or handling devices are added to G/F roadsters IMO they should have proven a speed of 270  without any add ons first otherwise guys will be putting them on "J's".

But I would rather see NO if I were asked............................. :-D
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline mkilger

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 12:41:20 PM »
come on John we both know it will not happen.  wings :roll:

Offline redrock_2003

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 01:53:55 PM »
   Wing on a roadster  :? Here is some thing to think about. Given that it is not uncommon for a roadster to spin and given it's high center of gravity. What would have happened if the BMR car had a wing on it when it spun several times at 250 mph? Once the back of the wing got air under it and provided lift. I have a feeling the above mentioned spin might have had a diffent out come.
Just my 2 cent.

Offline johnbeck

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 02:07:35 PM »
Ironically and interestingly good point.
nitro junkie

Offline desotoman

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 02:10:20 PM »
Here is the wording on the proposed rule change. I am not in favor of the proposal.

Tom G.

5.B Vintage Category

Issue: front end stability on roadsters
Rulebook Section: 4cc   Rulebook Page No: 43
Desired Outcome: stabilize front of roadsters
Reason for Chg: roadsters going over 250 are becoming un-stable and spinning
Side Effects: none

Desired Rulebook Wording: add 4.cc.7 front spoiler    small spoiler on grill shell or front axle to provide front stability to be in lower half of shell and be no bigger than 60-90 sq"

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 02:18:52 PM »
Maybe a rudder :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 02:29:32 PM »
Since I don't have an interest here, my cosmetic opinion is that it's counter to "traditional appearance".
However, if the question is not "do you want them", but "is it safe" it appears to me that a small front spoiler for a tall, narrow short-wheelbase chassis is going to help, not only with steering traction but to move the effective CG more ahead of the CP.
In a spin, the wing will reverse function and unload that axle (duh), but IMHO the effect will be much milder than that described for a rear wing.
It's only in relatively "clean" air when the chassis is normal - the air entry is partially masked by the atmo plug carried forward by the engine, radiator and grill mass, and the air exit is marred by proximity to the same parts. If reversed, the wing's trailing edge would be in the streamline of the grill etc. and be in light vacuum, greatly reducing its effect.
Conclusion: safer than it looks.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 02:32:26 PM by panic »

Offline dw230

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 02:32:43 PM »
This is a good test of the system. Here is a proposed rule change, it is front of the public. The comments in the past have complained that there is no visability to the racers of change proposals.

Lets see if you guys can discuss the change and come to a uniform decision before Sat. If done I will present the board's solution at the meeting when this item comes up.

Tom's post shows the proposal as presented. Nothing is held back, there is no further info I can provide. I am leaving for SEMA in the morning so I will be out of the loop after this evening. Please do not direct any questions my way after tonight.

DW
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 02:34:39 PM by dw230 »
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline RichFox

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 02:49:02 PM »
In my opinion roadster rules should be the last rules to be changed. Granted there have been several changes in areo to roadsters in the past. But they are still recognizable as roadsters. Lets keep it that way. Using safety as the reason for change can be applied to any number of roadster quirks. And once again you end up with a lakester. Just as it happened 70 or 80 years ago.

Offline johnbeck

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 03:04:23 PM »
I was aposed to the traction control being passed for roadsters but sat on my hands thinking that they would never pass that for a vintage class such as a roadster , thats why I brought this up.
I am all for safety , but fast roadsters can be built in a traditional way and be safe.
My biggest problem with these kind of rule changes is that if a competitor has set a record in 2005 without traction controll and spoilers and someone else goes faster with the new devices how valid is that record?
nitro junkie

Offline desotoman

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 03:12:57 PM »
John,

Roadsters don't need spoilers, and you guys proved that.

Tom G.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 04:00:29 PM »
If anyone has an email for Van Butler could you pm it to me. Trying to get some input on MC rules changes. The address in the back of the rule book doesnt seem to work.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing