Author Topic: dry sump tank  (Read 8295 times)

Offline panic

• My tech papers
Re: dry sump tank
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 12:33:14 AM »
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:43:29 AM by panic »

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 02:06:11 AM »
Remember your pan design and your pump design is going to be very important also.  What style of pump design are you using? How much vacuum do you want to pull?  Are you going to have an air separator? All questions you need to answer before designing your system. As Dynoroom mentioned, if you run an air separator then you could also use a non round tank.   This is a Honda F1 tank I have for another car and its designed for a small cavity of the car and holds about 6-7 quarts.  This should give you an idea of other shapes that could be used. Tony

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 02:31:47 AM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 11:11:34 AM »
well the bullet i bought has a weaver 5 stage pump and the pan is on the engine. i haven't picked up the bullet yet so when i do i'll have spec sheet and will be more informed. the bullet was a spare for the macdonald and pitts 98 firebird. so i know it's a good piece. what i'll probably do is copy his oiling system but Tailor it to my camaro. i've decided on a 1972 camaro for my aSalt. :-D
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 10:19:24 AM »
"After years of messing with a tank I built for our modified roadster that was theoretically correct, I broke down and bought a 4 1/2 gallon Peterson tank on eBay for a song. The difference a professionally designed and built tank made was night and day as far as de aerating the oil. Tall, multiple baffles, swirl inlets and a stand pipe up the middle make it work. Be sure to follow the makers advice about vent tube diameter and routing."

Great advice, building a tank that does what it is supposed to , number one job of the tank it to separate the air from the oil, and the tanks built by Peterson and others do a great job of this. The high tech Honda pan that Tony showed is good if you happen to have a multi-million dollar engine development program but not many of us have that ability.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.