Author Topic: dry sump tank  (Read 8317 times)

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
dry sump tank
« on: October 31, 2010, 12:40:17 AM »
what are your thoughts on the dry sump tank inside the car next to or behind the driver in a sealed compartment? legal or unsafe or what?
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: dry sump tank
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 12:47:13 AM »
I think it just has to be secured well---lots of folks put them inside.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 01:14:52 AM »
Closer to the pump the better.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 07:34:18 AM »
If you're going to do it run a line from the vent to outside the driver's compartment. I really don't like the idea because it's a relatively heavy item that if it comes loose can be lethal as well as the fact that a hot oil bath doesn't do a lot for the complexion. :evil:

While I say that I have done it on short track oval cars where the crashes don't tend to be so violent and the tank is well protected being inside the car.

Pete

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 10:33:15 AM »
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:43:55 AM by panic »

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 11:08:05 AM »
all very good points. think i might see about making room in the engine compartment. if too tight then i'll think of another spot.
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 11:27:59 AM »
Hot oil is extremely flammable. Best to keep it out of the drivers compartment if possible.
Will weld for beer :cheers:

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 02:18:42 PM »
Hot oil is extremely flammable. Best to keep it out of the drivers compartment if possible.
i agree. i was thinking if i had to put it inside the car, it would be in passenger footwell in an enclosed compartment. like nascar does only they do it  behind driver seat.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 07:28:22 PM »
The better tank shape is a tall, narrow cylinder - tough to have enough volume, and still mount it there.

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 07:36:47 PM »
The better tank shape is a tall, narrow cylinder - tough to have enough volume, and still mount it there.
can you please tell me why a tall tank is better? i was planning on at least a 4gal. but prefer a 5 gal., that WOULD be very difficult in pass. footwell.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 07:44:43 PM »
After years of messing with a tank I built for our modified roadster that was theoretically correct, I broke down and bought a 4 1/2 gallon Peterson tank on eBay for a song. The difference a professionally designed and built tank made was night and day as far as de aerating the oil. Tall, multiple baffles, swirl inlets and a stand pipe up the middle make it work. Be sure to follow the makers advice about vent tube diameter and routing.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline dw230

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 09:54:35 PM »
Jim,

That sounds like a Patterson tank, I am not familiar with Peterson tanks. Are they another manufacturer?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jdincau

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 10:01:58 PM »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 10:03:33 PM by jdincau »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline dw230

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 10:45:06 PM »
Thnx,

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 11:00:47 PM »
After years of messing with a tank I built for our modified roadster that was theoretically correct, I broke down and bought a 4 1/2 gallon Peterson tank on eBay for a song. The difference a professionally designed and built tank made was night and day as far as de aerating the oil. Tall, multiple baffles, swirl inlets and a stand pipe up the middle make it work. Be sure to follow the makers advice about vent tube diameter and routing.
10:4