Author Topic: Gearing q or two.....plz be gentle  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Vishnuatepork

Gearing q or two.....plz be gentle
« on: October 30, 2010, 04:06:48 AM »
Hey All;

I am looking into some special gearing for my VX project, and I was wondering if you might have a minute to answer a few q's I have.

I am looking at doing some custom cut gears.  I am considering a .75 ratio for 5th gear.

My question is this.
Does the height of the ratio matter at all?

Let me explain my question a bit.  I used to race bicycles a bit and I know that with a 18 speed (2 x 9) that there was sometimes a few gears that over lapped when in the 8th through 12th gear (depending on which rear cassette (gears) were chosen).  Some times it was advantageous for me to be in the smaller front sprocket, rather than the larger one, even though the ratio was larger, it was easier to turn.

That being said, I have a few options for the .75 ratio, 28/21 or 24/18.  does it matter ? does the engine (I hate saying this, cuz I know it sounds stoopid) "feel" or "notice" the difference in the height of the ratio?  I have been cautioned about being over geared, and thats the reason I ask. 

Cheers
Alan
suzuki vx800, 41mm FCR, shrink ported head, mega cycle cam, singh grooved head, custom headers, Supertapp exhaust, Ignitech ignition module, vs1400 drive hub, nology coils, magnecor wires, 12:1 cp pistons, carillo rods

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Gearing q or two.....plz be gentle
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 04:38:43 AM »
It shouldn't make any difference. I think probably it felt better on the bicycle because the cadence suited you better.

Pete

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 11:07:52 AM »
Generally, more teeth engaged is preferred (at least, in the range you mention) to reduce ratcheting and local tooth loading, but the effect is small.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 02:03:33 AM »
Alan, all sorts of good info about gearing is in "The Racing Motorcycle: A Technical Guide for Constructors" by John Bradley ISBN 0 9512929 2 7.  One of the best things he shows are the relationships between speed, engine torque curve, and gearing.  Also, lots of info about gears.  The last time I was in Portland they had several copies for sale at www.powells.com.  A sample page is attached.  It shows how the author explains things step-by step.  This is a British publication and it is metric.  I'll bet, if you work through all of the equations and graphs with data for your bike, you will find the answers you need.

Offline Vishnuatepork

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 02:11:45 AM »
Wobbly,

Thanks for that, I think I 'll get it. 

I have a speed equation chart that does show the rpm to mph.  Maybe this author can teach me everything ;-)

Cheers
Alan
suzuki vx800, 41mm FCR, shrink ported head, mega cycle cam, singh grooved head, custom headers, Supertapp exhaust, Ignitech ignition module, vs1400 drive hub, nology coils, magnecor wires, 12:1 cp pistons, carillo rods

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
"Which ratio to use?" and "what tooth count is best to achieve a known ratio?" are two completely different subjects.

Offline Vishnuatepork

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 11:15:39 AM »
"what tooth count is best to achieve a known ratio?"

thats this topic

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 04:33:52 PM »
Whatsa VX?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Vishnuatepork

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 06:51:05 PM »
Sorry, Suzuki VX800. Motorcycle, shaft driven vtwin circa 1990.