Author Topic: fiberglass frontend  (Read 9281 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: fiberglass frontend
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
Sparky-But RATICAL is yours. And I think that is what BoS is talking about. This is a Hobby after all. I know you are very proud of what you have acomplished. Who wouldn't be? Would you feel the same if you bought Seth's car and went faster?

Offline dw230

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 12:50:12 PM »
Buying a proven car will be less expensive than a build. The time saved to convert to your specs will be well spent and get you on the salt sooner. In the street rod market a built rod that you can drive as soon as you pay for it will be about 40-50 cents on the dollar to build that same car.

I can appreciate the desire to design, build, drive your own creation but, sometimes time is of the essence. Someone once said that last years race car is about the cheapest thing you can buy.

At my age I would shop wisely, get a copy of Guy Fierie's Diners, Drive Ins and Dives and make a road trip out out the pickup process.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 01:48:26 PM »
Rich you are right  :-D but the Mayor--well--The Mayor,  sumed it up, and conveyed the idea much better than I did.   :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 03:47:28 PM »
Once again we are in agreement that there is more than one way to skin a cat. The question now is why would we want to skin a cat?

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 07:44:15 PM »

The days of being competitive at B'ville with a hot rod are almost gone----you are going to have to have  a serious "RACE CAR",  my lakester RATICAL was a homemade hot rod BEAST---if I ever want to beat The Hammond's beauty---I am going to have to have  an all out race car, with a race motor. I dont mean that I have to have it all built by porfessionals---I am just going to have to have a more professional approach.

This is especially true if you want to run speeds where AERO is almost everything.

San Diego to Maine is a lot less hassle than trying to Build ANYTHING that maybe competitive--- maybe even a 500 CC turbo bike. If you want to run  a BBC and you can buy a Complete car that has had a BBC, goes straight and has competitive aero, you can tweak and change and make it yours.

my opinion
i do value your opinion. i am open to ideas so as i can come up with a practical solution. thank you sparky

YMMV
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 07:50:44 PM »
Buying a proven car will be less expensive than a build. The time saved to convert to your specs will be well spent and get you on the salt sooner. In the street rod market a built rod that you can drive as soon as you pay for it will be about 40-50 cents on the dollar to build that same car.

I can appreciate the desire to design, build, drive your own creation but, sometimes time is of the essence. Someone once said that last years race car is about the cheapest thing you can buy.

At my age I would shop wisely, get a copy of Guy Fierie's Diners, Drive Ins and Dives and make a road trip out out the pickup process.

DW
i can appreciate what you are saying, but i am still kinda leaning towards my own build. granted i know i will not break any records on my first outing. but once i do get my "Red Hat", it will be so much more gratifying. just like alan kulwicki. he did it his way. :-D :-D :-D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 09:24:47 PM by BALS aSALT »
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 11:03:40 PM »
You can build a 260 mph car cheaper than you can buy one?

Hmmm, funny, I can't build the 160 mph car I'm working on cheaper than I could have bought a 248 mph car.

Have you checked with GH? I talked with him this morning, and his 248 mph Stude  is still for sale.

Just sayin.......
gary sent me an email about his car. kind of a hassle to go to that far for a car. plus i am starting to have reservations about buying someone elses car that has been on the salt for awhile. thinking starting fresh. i think if i shop around, do my homework, alot of elbow grease, and i think i might build a car that i could call my own. make my own history with my car instead of buying someone elses history. that might be ok if i were buying a car for monterey, but for me on the salt, i am thinking fresh. there is this certain fairlane that i really like alot, but the deal i was hopeing for kinda fell thru. still thinking about that car too. it's done and proven. but there again someone elses history. i just don't know what to do yet. all i know is i am running out of time. need to get a car soon.

I'm scrambling to have my car ready for next year. I gave myself a year, because I knew that was plenty of time. Well, it SOUNDS like a lot of time, but to do it right, I'm finding it's not.

I think we read about successful racers, and they make it look easy. I think it's easy to forgets the trials and tribulations they have experienced, and just concentrate on their successes. I know, after starting this build, on a car built to go not nearly as fast as GH's, or a lot of other cars for sale, that I could buy a SUCCESSFUL, PROVEN car for far less than I can build one.

However, I applaud your desire to do it on your own. I wish you much success.

I do, however, hope you remember this is supposed to be fun, and that records may or may not come, regardless of your plans or intentions. Good luck!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 12:34:44 AM »
flatty, thank you. i do believe i have made my decision. i believe there are going to be some unhappy people here i hope they understand. i am willing to spend alittle extra for something my own. i've done the math, i can do the work, i have friends that will do what i have not learned yet. i have great resources and friends. i know i can do this. i've had and will receive great advice from those whom i respect with the highest regards. (you "Blue Hats" know who i'm talking about). people who know me can tell you. once i've set my mind on a project, i usually do well with it. i've said it before, i know i won't break any records my first time but i am sure gonna come close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i  ain't giving up till i get what i want and we all know by now what that is. :-D :-D :-D :-D

Offline cheeto racer

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 06:08:27 PM »
flatty, thank you. i do believe i have made my decision. i believe there are going to be some unhappy people here i hope they understand. i am willing to spend alittle extra for something my own. i've done the math, i can do the work, i have friends that will do what i have not learned yet. i have great resources and friends. i know i can do this. i've had and will receive great advice from those whom i respect with the highest regards. (you "Blue Hats" know who i'm talking about). people who know me can tell you. once i've set my mind on a project, i usually do well with it. i've said it before, i know i won't break any records my first time but i am sure gonna come close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i  ain't giving up till i get what i want and we all know by now what that is. :-D :-D :-D :-D
Good luck on your build! we were actually reconsidering the turnkey idea.   We wish you the best of  luck on your new direction and hope that you meet your goals on the salt!!!! :cheers: :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 06:17:54 PM »
enjoy the journey---we look forward to your build---sounds like as they say in Tx---this ain't your first rodeo!  :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 04:28:45 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Blue

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 06:33:12 PM »
............. Someone once said that last years race car is about the cheapest thing you can buy.
ROTFLMAO!!
Oh, truer words have never been spoken.  I just sawzall'd an old project and boy did it hurt.  It did make room for successful projects that are paying my way through this recession, so I shouldn't complain.

The only reason to skin a new cat is if we see something radically different that we can't get to from a prior project.  Development-denies-progress and progress-denies-development.  Developing a known entity will always beat the new concept until the old concept runs out of steam.  Then the new concept (progress) has to come in without any development and fail repeatedly until the bugs are worked out.  It's the cycle of racing.

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 07:54:53 PM »
Good luck on your build! we were actually reconsidering the turnkey idea.   We wish you the best of  luck on your new direction and hope that you meet your goals on the salt!!!! :cheers: :cheers:
cheeto :? :? :?
reconcidering :? :? :?, now :? :? :?, you're killing me.  dammit!!!!!!!!!!! i've already commited to a 72 camaro, not as much personality as "Thundersalt", but alittle more aero.  i do appriciate the well wishes and hope no hard feelings? can we still be friends? :-D :-D :-D :cheers:
oh , you've got messages.

Offline cheeto racer

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 04:06:34 PM »
Hey BAS  i got no stinking messages :-D  absolutely no hard feelings!!!!  I think i saw that car on Racing Junk..if so the color is right!

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 04:19:02 PM »
thats not it. i am starting from scratch. ground zero. :-o :-o :-o so i got some work to do, but thats ok. keeps me in the shop and under the other woman "as the wife puts it". :roll: :roll: :roll: oh and the messages are the phone. i called both #s and got recordings. hate talking to the machine. anyway new colors now.......................satin black..........everything. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: i guess now it's a race to see who gets "Hat" first. :-D :-D :-D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :-D :-D :-D