Author Topic: fiberglass frontend  (Read 9293 times)

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
fiberglass frontend
« on: October 28, 2010, 09:27:37 PM »
so if i build a car for CGC, is it ok to run a fiberglass frontend.? i was thinking of a one piece type. hood, fenders grill, all the whole frontend. and would i have to install the lights and grill or can i leave it all fiberglass one piece???
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline will6er

Re: fiberglass frontend
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 10:58:31 PM »
BALS-

According to the rule book you WILL need: grille,headlights (high and low), and park lights. NO decals.

No one-piece front ends.

Will

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 11:16:10 PM »
Front ends are allowed in altered. :cheers:

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 11:36:54 PM »
ok. guess i'll have to do it the hard way. damnit!
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 10:32:07 AM »
Sounds like the plan has changed. What's the new plan?

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 09:07:19 PM »
hey rich,
thinking building my own car. wondering what i can get away with. i bought a 608in.dry sump bullet that is good for 280 mph in a 98 trans-am. thinking maybe a 70's camaro. so maybe 260 with this car.    thinking big :-D :-D :-D

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 09:11:44 PM »
BALS-

According to the rule book you WILL need: grille,headlights (high and low), and park lights. NO decals.

No one-piece front ends.

Will
what page is that on? i found where it says you have to have that stuff but it does notsay they have to work.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 09:24:01 PM »
If I was doing it again I would not get a one piece front end. It's a pain to remove by myself. You need a place to put it when it's off. If you just want to warm the engine and change plugs you have to remove the whole front end and drag it along with you if the line moves. I would rather have a hood that opens all the way or maybe comes off and a front end that is not hard to get off but mostly stays on.

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 09:29:26 PM »
i think you might be on to something there rich. good enough, we'll go with steel fenders and a glass hood. i was thinking a glass front for the aerodynamics of the closed grill and headlights. but i guess that would put me in altered.

Offline cheeto racer

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 09:57:55 PM »
:? :? :?

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 11:08:13 PM »
:? :? :?
checking all my options, seeing if building is cheaper than buying since first idea of turnkey fell thru. :-( :-( :-(

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 11:28:05 PM »
You can build a 260 mph car cheaper than you can buy one?

Hmmm, funny, I can't build the 160 mph car I'm working on cheaper than I could have bought a 248 mph car.

Have you checked with GH? I talked with him this morning, and his 248 mph Stude  is still for sale.

Just sayin.......
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline RichFox

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 05:14:50 AM »
i think you might be on to something there rich. good enough, we'll go with steel fenders and a glass hood. i was thinking a glass front for the aerodynamics of the closed grill and headlights. but i guess that would put me in altered.
A little time with a sheet of .050 aluminum and a pop riveter will close off the front end if you want. Or the traditional Sta-Lube box and duct tape.

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 11:18:10 AM »
You can build a 260 mph car cheaper than you can buy one?

Hmmm, funny, I can't build the 160 mph car I'm working on cheaper than I could have bought a 248 mph car.

Have you checked with GH? I talked with him this morning, and his 248 mph Stude  is still for sale.

Just sayin.......
gary sent me an email about his car. kind of a hassle to go to that far for a car. plus i am starting to have reservations about buying someone elses car that has been on the salt for awhile. thinking starting fresh. i think if i shop around, do my homework, alot of elbow grease, and i think i might build a car that i could call my own. make my own history with my car instead of buying someone elses history. that might be ok if i were buying a car for monterey, but for me on the salt, i am thinking fresh. there is this certain fairlane that i really like alot, but the deal i was hopeing for kinda fell thru. still thinking about that car too. it's done and proven. but there again someone elses history. i just don't know what to do yet. all i know is i am running out of time. need to get a car soon.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 12:26:42 PM »

The days of being competitive at B'ville with a hot rod are almost gone----you are going to have to have  a serious "RACE CAR",  my lakester RATICAL was a homemade hot rod BEAST---if I ever want to beat The Hammond's beauty---I am going to have to have  an all out race car, with a race motor. I dont mean that I have to have it all built by porfessionals---I am just going to have to have a more professional approach.

This is especially true if you want to run speeds where AERO is almost everything.

San Diego to Maine is a lot less hassle than trying to Build ANYTHING that maybe competitive--- maybe even a 500 CC turbo bike. If you want to run  a BBC and you can buy a Complete car that has had a BBC, goes straight and has competitive aero, you can tweak and change and make it yours.

my opinion

YMMV
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!