Author Topic: Hood scoops in GT  (Read 3368 times)

biturbo999

Hood scoops in GT
« on: October 28, 2010, 08:12:30 PM »
Are hood scoops legal in Grand Touring Sports (GT)? The rule book specifically says they are legal in Production Coupe/Sedan (PRO), but doesn't mention it in GT - either way.

Offline dw230

Re: Hood scoops in GT
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 09:01:01 PM »
Did you submit your question or call the committee chair?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline KEVIN

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 10:33:52 PM »
GT is in the production category and hood scoops are allowed.

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 10:47:52 AM »
I may have been a bit short. A carry over from another post.

What is the scoop covering and what car is it going on?

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

biturbo999

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 03:45:48 PM »
DW,
I'm new here, so sorry if I'm not following the protocol.

My question is related to a Fiero for GT class. The way I read it, the rule book doesn't specifcally allow hood scoops in GT class like it does in Production Coupe/Sedan, but I think I've seen a Corvette running in GT at World of Speed that had a hood scoop. The Fiero is a mid engine, of course, so I think the scoop would need to be behind the rear window if allowed.

As a follow up question, can the air intake on the engine be repositioned to take advantage of the hood scoop position, or is that considered an air duct?

Thanks.

Offline dw230

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 12:10:22 PM »
The hood scoop is allowed in GT class. Specifics are spelled out in the rulebook.

The difference between an air intake and a hood scoop in SCTA definitions are an air intake is plumbed directly to the intake system, a hood scoop allows air to enter the engine ccompartment.

From the 2010 rulebook:

SECTION 4   DEFINITIONS
The following is a list of terms used by the SCTA Contest Board and their meanings:
4.A   AIR DUCT:
Aerodynamic pressure relief systems in which air is ducted from one point to another. Air ducts may pierce, but shall not extend past exterior bodywork, and shall not be utilized to eliminate a prominent feature (e.g. a fender crown shall not be removed to provide a duct opening). Air ducts shall originate and exit in the rear 50% of the vehicle body and shall not be directed to or away from wheel wells.  Construction shall be of nonflammable materials.

4.B   AIR INTAKES:
Ducted airflow devices which are meant to provide combustion air directly to the engine. Air intakes shall not originate below the original stock location and, on rear-engine cars, the air intake shall originate in the rear 50% of the body. Air intakes protruding from the front of the car (other than OEM) shall not exceed 48 sq. in. of frontal area and shall not extend more than 12 in. and shall not taper, except in classes where forward streamlining is allowed. Carburetors that protrude through the car’s hood shall be covered with a flash shield.

4.R   HOOD SCOOPS:
A hood scoop is a functional air intake device used on full body, un-blown vehicles, where allowed. No part of a forward facing hood scoop can extend forward of the leading edge of the hood, be more than 11” above the surface of the hood at the centerline or extend past the trailing edge of the hood more than 11”. Clearance between the scoop and the windshield must be a minimum of ½”. On rearward facing scoops they can not be more than 11” above the surface of the hood at the centerline. They can extend past the trailing edge of the hood but the rear must be totally open and clearance between the scoop and the windshield must be a minimum of 2”. No foam sealing is allowed between the scoop and windshield. On rear engine cars the hood scoop may be built on the engine cover. The scoop shall not extend more than 11 in. above the surface of the roof and no further forward than the front edge of the back window.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

biturbo999

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 12:51:08 PM »
Got it. Thanks.