Author Topic: Bellypan Question  (Read 10229 times)

Offline dw230

Re: Bellypan Question
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 01:46:48 PM »
Until a better definition is made you can do almost anything. Uni body car has an outer definition in the middle of the car. Just use that location where a frame would be if there was a frame.

If you are going to use a uni body to test your streamliner engine program I would suggest putting a frame in it.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 02:22:22 PM »
Thanks guys!

Sorry to ask such simplistic questions, but I want to do this right. I'd rather ask questions that seem foolish now, than not ask and have a terrible time at the tech inspection.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 09:37:53 PM »
Thanks guys!

Sorry to ask such simplistic questions, but I want to do this right. I'd rather ask questions that seem foolish now, than not ask and have a terrible time at the tech inspection. 8-) 8-)

Not foolish at all. A lot of opinions get aired out on the forums, it gives a indication what areas are vague, likely to draw a protest, or might bring a future rule change. Words and opinions are easier to change than hardware, the vague and hotly debated items can be followed by up with a clear description sent off to get the official ruling on what your building. You add the official responce in with your build log and try not to trip up on the rules elsewhere.

My hope when my own build begins is that I or someone else has asked all the questions, sorted out the vague areas, had people critique pictures of the build, and have shown tech (when they have spare time) my vehicle part way through the build, so that hopefully it can pass through tech cleanly and start trial runs so both the vehicle and myself are legit to go for an official timed run. But then that's my opinion.  8-)

Blue

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 01:47:14 PM »
Until a better definition is made you can do almost anything. Uni body car has an outer definition in the middle of the car. Just use that location where a frame would be if there was a frame.

If you are going to use a uni body to test your streamliner engine program I would suggest putting a frame in it.

DW
This is one of the things that I'm puzzled with: some cars (like the Enzo) have a full "belly pan" that covers everything but the wheel wells.  From the air dam to the rear bumper and everything between the lower door sills where the side skirts are mounted.   It would seem that to not outlaw belly pans that are now stock on some cars, the current definition allows the pan to extend to the width of the skirts.

This is important to clarify since belly pans are one of the areas of production car aerodynamics that will become common as the industry is forced into 35+ MPG fleet averages.

On the "frame" side, we're simply going to go with a full cage.  The cage will be attached to the unibody in excess of the rules, nothing beats a full cage;  I'd rather bet my life on tubing than unibody.

Offline dw230

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 06:17:14 PM »
The undertray on the Enzo is OEM. We do not force some one to remove OEM stuff.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Blue

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 07:49:24 PM »
The undertray on the Enzo is OEM. We do not force some one to remove OEM stuff.

DW
I understand, does this mean that CC's can have belly pans that extend to the same limits?

Offline dw230

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 01:12:18 PM »
Yes,

As in all things Bonneville it has been done before. Check your program.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Blue

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 06:24:06 PM »
Yes,

As in all things Bonneville it has been done before. Check your program.

DW
I thought so, and appreciate the clarification.

Offline dw230

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 09:41:55 PM »
I thought you had a streamliner project Blue.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Blue

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 02:19:09 AM »
I do, I'm building a CC to test some ideas and break in engines for the liner.  Lots of people think I should put my money where my mouth is, so I guess I will.  Hope to have some fun.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 09:43:52 PM »
Maybe DanW will correct me but I am under the impression that it can cover edge to edge (side to side) of the body and all the way from the front of the car to the very back edge.

I can see the problem with going under running boards because most of them are removed and are not part of the body but many modified roadsters and Comp Coupes had theirs out to the edge of the bodies especially if their frames were inside like in channeling.

For sure the Benham/Wooden coupe and the Burkland Datsun were built that way and just look at most of the pictures of Modified Roadsters in a Bonneville program and look at how many frames you don't see. The one I help with has extra skin under the body and I guarantee the belly pan reaches out to it and includes about 1" out from the body parallel to the ground and I guarantee it's legal and the frame is inside.   On a lot of them you don't see a frame cause the body is over it and they are not straight line sides so the belly ban definitely went past the frame and to the body.

I could be wrong, but if I am there are a lot of illegal cars out there.....................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline dw230

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2010, 10:54:25 AM »
JD is right. I used the running board example and didn't clarify that the belly pan can be front to rear of the body and side to side of the body.

The step pan must be frame rail to frame rail, plus the other restrictions in the rulebook.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth