Author Topic: British Mile Events - UKLSRA  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Malcolm UK

British Mile Events - UKLSRA
« on: October 26, 2010, 04:00:40 PM »
Readers may have noticed the intro by German 'Mike-Nightrider' and his signature beneath postings referring to his speed on the 'Suffolk Mile'. 

The bikers wanting to run top speeds in the UK have established a new group - the UK Land Speed Racing Association - and they race on an airfield at Honington, which as it is in the county of Suffolk is the "Suffolk Mile".  There are silencing issues which riders have to adhere to specific noise output.  (They used to race at Woodbridge but someone let the saplings grow to small trees alongside the runway). 

I met some of them at a show in the summer where they displayed some of the fast bikes.  I am not involved with them so this is an independent statement.  They have a website www.uklandspeedracingassociation.co.uk and Ken Dunn or John Warrington would I am sure be pleased to take entries for 2011 events.

Malcolm UK
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: British Mile Events - UKLSRA
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 10:25:13 PM »
What is this new group's relationship with the Straightliners?

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 01:39:46 PM »
(Usual disclaimer - I do not represent UKLSRA)

The Straightliners organisation stopped top speed events to concentrate on their 'racing' activity style of events.  The racers who set up the UKLSRA were competitors in the straightliners top speed events and wanted to continue to ride fast.  I am sure that in time the UKLSRA will seek to get class structures in line with the USA, so that speeds can be compared.  They are already talking of attracting three and four wheel racers.

I forgot to add that Honington saw the UK's first two wheeled 200 mph run by Alf Hagon (some of you may have 'googled' the name and seen that).

Malcolm UK
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 07:48:57 PM »
So, didn't ol' Alfie do that in the late 60s..... on a custom built bike powered by a 1260cc (77 cu. in.) J A Prestwich V Twin?.... and he went like 206 MPH.... I certainly remember!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.