Author Topic: North American Eagle  (Read 13841 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: North American Eagle
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 01:24:04 AM »
I can't figure out any other reason for bringing Porterfield on board as the driver other than to draw attention to the project and possibly sponsors. "Look it's a GIRL in that thing!" If they wanted a fast bike rider, there are quite a few others in this sport who have far more qualifications. But Leslie does have a track record of more getting attention for doing the same thing that others have done, so that is important to the project.
Good luck to the North American Eagle Team. I truly hope this works for you and you get some runs going.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline ski123

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 12:05:38 PM »
Will it be Kitty O'Neil's record you are trying to break this fall?
That seems like quite a goal for 2011, let's see some runs!

Offline joea

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 12:26:20 PM »
it looks to me like fastest woman in the world on land would be Kitty O'neil..?...

http://www.landspeed.com/updates/December/oneil.html

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 06:45:36 PM »
Kitty does hold the FIM record at 514 MPH, set in 1977. She, however, does not hold the FIA record. That is held by Andy Green. The bragging rights are held by Tanis Hammond for the worlds fastest FIA record by a female. Yes I do realize there is no catagory for Female vs Male but it certainly is BRAGGING RIGHTS. If we are capable of running
over 634 MPH, we will be able to claim the title of the fastest "single engine" vehicle, even thought there is no real distinction for that either. If it will help us find sponsorship
to finish the mission, then let's give it a go. Yes, there are many very qualified female racers. I've spoken to ladies in the motorcycle business, the drag racing business, the Indy car
business and even a few test pilots at Edwards AFB. Most cannot drive our car because of contractual obligations. Some just said NO THANKS. Leslie took a couple years to
think it over then said yes, after she met the team and got up close and personal with the car. I happen to think this is a positive step, good for our sport and good for women.
Ed

Offline dw230

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 11:59:57 AM »
I think this is a great move. Good luck to Ed, Leslie and the team.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 03:11:04 PM »
When I spoke with Charles at the FIM a few years ago they had 'lost' all of their records in the rocket three wheel category including Kitty O'Neil's SMI Motivator attempt at Alvord.

Paula Elstrek drove Aussie Invader 3 for Rosco, but did not set any records.  Speed was 575 kph apparently.  Seems to be very American to put lady drivers into jet cars - Breedlove, Arfons did it.

Whilst the FIA may distinguish between jets and rockets - now what will they do with BLOODHOUBD SSC? - I doubt that there will ever be any distinction between one, two or even three engines in a vehicle.  But the NZ team are hoping they too will get above Richard's Thrust 2 633 mph.

Whatever it takes to keep a project moving forward is good for the team.  Hope you get a good track and weather.

Malcolm
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline joea

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 05:40:37 PM »
"""""When I spoke with Charles at the FIM a few years ago they had 'lost' all of their records in the rocket three wheel category including Kitty O'Neil's SMI Motivator attempt at Alvord."""""

that is REALLY a SHAME...when the sanctioning body...considered (by some) to be the "world land speed"
authority....(come back LSA..?..:))....does so little after demanding so much in terms of money-effort-and respect...

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 06:35:30 AM »
Joe

Having seen a copy of the report of the attempt by Earl Flanders, headed as being made on behalf of the FIM and stating the bid was for a woman's kilo record, but subject to FIM accreditation, I wonder how many US record 'results' were not fully processed by the International governing body?

The FIM are not at fault in this instance because it would be 'politically incorrect' to maintain any gender differentiating records, especially as in the class (thrust powered, three wheelers) it was slower than the male speed record - 526mph.  All International bodies have removed any reference to gender - land (FIA, FIM) & water (UIM).

Malcolm

Offline joea

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 09:17:48 AM »
Thanks for that info Malcom.....!!!

was the other three wheel record info lost..?...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:01:53 PM by joea »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 01:12:56 PM »
are they biassed  :? toward side cars  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 02:08:23 PM »
I do not know what happened to the record of Craig Breedlove in the FIM listings - they were the governing body for two and three wheeled motorsport and assessed Craig's records in their jet category  a year before the four wheeled world woke up to thrust power.  I was told that the SMI Motivator/Budweiser attempts probably did not come under FIM governance - maybe others know if that is true.  They may have been National attempts if the AMA were present.

In view of the rules of the FIM, I had expected at least one unlimited team to use their rules to exceed the supersonic speed of Andy Green and to go on towards the sound barrier in a three wheeled vehicle.  Not one of my better predictions.

I am sure the FIM love motorcycles and sidecars as much as cyclecars :roll:

Malcolm

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 03:03:32 PM »
About Breedlove and Kitty O'Neill.

The Breedlove record is a victim of the record freeze which was done by the FIM to clean up there record books and get the amount on different classes and records again under controll.

So, the Breedlove record which was set in 1963 will stay forever...it can't be broken anymore....due to this, that after the freeze this category exist not anymore...

By the way, the later Three Wheeler records from Breedlove in 1964 was certified by the FIA....they don't like to have that the FIM had a faster record.....

To Kitty...she drove the 512 mph average in 1976 in Oregon....inside the FIM rules....this was confirmed...but the speed was never request to the FIM to be certified...and they
also never paid the fee to be certified....maybe Hal Needham was not happy that she handles the rocket car better than he does......also Kitty had driven the car faster as him to this time.....later, when Hal run the car on a other location they announced a faster speed for him....but there is no paper known....also he bent the car on this run so the racer had to be retired and was sold to Nina Rindt.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 03:07:33 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline F104A

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 12:34:06 PM »
We do know and understand the rules. We are only going after officially timed runs with Leslie so we can put it in the Guiness book. We do know that
those records are sometimes not "official" but are agreed upon by the Guiness folks so they can put them into their book. We are doing this to hopefully
find sponsorship support. Who knows, if Leslie is willing and able, and I'm to old and lame, she might have to go after the big record.
Ed

Offline F104A

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2011, 08:08:05 PM »
We're scheduled for a safety review board meeting in the next few days to let the Air Force decide if they
are going to support us in our medium speed test runs (400 to 600) this fall or early summer. If the weather
cooperates, we'll spend a couple weeks on the lakebed. If not, we'll try to get some test time in May or June.
We finally have some positive support from the Air Force. Wait and see!
Ed

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2011, 10:27:43 PM »
That sounds like great news Ed. I hope it all works out for you.

Pete