Author Topic: new 2011 rule changes  (Read 103103 times)

Offline KEVIN

• New folks
new 2011 rule changes
« on: October 20, 2010, 09:43:33 PM »
Has anyone heard about the new rule changes for replacing all stock glass in vehicles with lexan? My main question is it going to include the replacement of the stock laminated safety glass windshields? This new rule will also be inclusive of all production vehicles.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: new 2011 rule changes
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 09:57:12 PM »
It was my understanding that the Lexan rule might be rewritten for clarity - the wording was a bit confusing.

Are you saying that Lexan will be required, and that the film option is going away? 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
I don't see how they can get away with this?  Are they trying to reduce the amount of participants by making them spend so much money that they cannot afford to race anymore?  Someone tell me this rule is bogus. :evil:

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 11:52:57 PM »
John,

Ask your club. The rule change proposals come from the participants. We don't make this stuff up as you seem to think.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 12:18:48 AM »
Dan,  Your taking all the fun out and throwing all the conspiracy theories out the window.  :-o Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline dw230

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 12:42:53 AM »
Some people think these changes rain down from the black heliocopters like so many pieces of paper.

I am not protecting any of my coupe records, don't have the one anymore.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 01:24:33 AM »
I haven't seen the written rule, first time I have heard about it.  Is the proposal including all windows?  If so how do you get a replacement for a rear decklid window?

Troy Langlo, not John.  No black heli coming from me, just an observation of reality.

p.s. Where can I go to read this change?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 01:50:31 AM by bvillercr »

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 08:12:27 AM »
What about us BNI only members? where's our voice?
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline mkilger

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 09:49:53 AM »
guys can spend big money on engines so they can put lexan windows there cars too, if you have never picked up  glass on the salt you dont understand the new rule. picking up Glass takes so long, first its hard to see  and it holds the meet up too Iam all for the new rule. LSR Mike our voice is  (come help pick up glass on the long course)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 10:12:58 AM by mkilger »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 10:23:18 AM »
guys can spend big money on engines so they can put lexan windows there cars too, if you have never picked up  glass on the salt you dont understand the new rule.

picking up glass does suck, that's why the tint rule came in effect.  How do you replace a rear decklid window with lexan?

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 10:41:29 AM »
Troy, your back window should be available from some of the oval track suppliers such as Five Star Bodies. I don't really know who's in business these days as I haven't been working with those cars for some time.

Pete

Offline hitz

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 10:46:23 AM »
Dan,
  Please don't take any of these posts as personal. You've allowed yourself to be a sounding board for the SCTA by posting on this forum and it's appreciated by many. As a outsider I really appreciate what the volunteers do to allow us to participate in LSR. but in any large organisation there are some that will try to manipulate the rules for there own needs. Not that this subject is a result of that.

Truth of the matter is that the changes being made are not for the the cash deprived and that has been stated on this forum by a few that we should get out if we can't afford it. That's where some of us are now. No bitch just fact.

I'm still working on the car to make it competitive but chances are it won't run again.

Again, Appreciate all your work for the SCTA.

Harvey

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 10:53:18 AM »
If there are companies out there that make molded windows for all vehicles affected, then the rule won't be as bad.  But if people can't get molded lexan window for their cars then this is a big problem.  How many cars broke windows on the salt this year? 

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 11:03:24 AM »
Perhaps a little more research on available film before a blanket rule of lexan only. We know from experience that tint film will not hold tempered glass after it shatters but 3M and others make the clear bra film (used on front of motorhomes) which I believe will. I use it on my headlights. Just an idea from a BNI only member :wink:
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline RichFox

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 11:53:14 AM »
I guess some windows would be hard to replicate. On my Vega I just took the old windshield to a plastic place and they cut a piece of Lexan pretty much from that. And threw my old, cracked windshield in the dumpster. Then I went home and filed and sanded it to fit. Then started putting in screws from the center out and it curved right around as I bolted it down. The hatch back on the Vega will be easy if I have to replace it and the side windows are flat.