Author Topic: more scrub radius  (Read 13005 times)

Offline Ervin

• New folks
more scrub radius
« on: October 20, 2010, 05:11:06 PM »
I know scrub has been discussed many times but,,,,,,  Has anyone ever changed/improved thier handleing by changing the scrub radius?

Thanks,  Ervin

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: more scrub radius
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 05:24:12 PM »
Ask Sparky
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 06:07:30 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline hotschue

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 06:54:55 PM »
Correct scrub radius should prevent the front end from "hunting".  I incorporated 0 scrub with my new build through spindle modification and wheel offset, car tracked absolutely straight.   
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 07:56:13 PM »
ABSOLUTELY!!!  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline RICK

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 08:32:40 PM »
I might have screwed up. I never measured or took into account 'scrub radius'. I took Mustang II spindles and put S-10 hubs on them with the rotor portion cut off. Later on I wanted front brakes, so I slid some Wilwood hat/rotors on top. Then to make things worse, I changed my spindles to, Two inch drop spindles,,, compounding some bad 'scrub radius'. And now that think about it,,,,,  My handleing seems to be deteriorating. What kind of 'scrub number' should I be looking for?

Sparky, What was yours? What did you change it to? How did you change it? And how much better did it make the car feel? At what speed?

Thanks, ILLHANDELINRICK
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 08:42:36 PM »
  I'll tell you Rick, I had improved handling from correcting my scrub. My front wheel drive car had WAY to much and I got to with in a 1/2 " and now it goes straight. So its well worth the effort!!!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 10:30:12 PM »
I had 3.4" + and got it down to 3/8" + with special hubs and wheels.  It was a handfull before and not always controlable. Afterward 2 rookie drivers got AA lisc. with no handling issues at all.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 11:07:22 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Blue

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 09:04:09 PM »
So I'm reading here that less is better.  Although it's mechanically inconvenient, is negative scrub radius also bad?  is there a limit to how close to zero we need to get before it's "OK"?

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 09:31:02 PM »
Generally the closest to 0" is best. Some small amount is probably not going to hurt. It will depend on the other alignment parameters and the vehicle itself.

Blue, in the case of tandem front wheels I think it's probably rather important that it be 0" because even if the offset is symmetrical the difference in distance from the center of the turning point could cause issues.

Pete
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 09:38:43 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline racergeo

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 10:30:47 PM »
 Peter,what would you say about a little negative scrub radius on a front wheel drive car?? I read that the FWD imports run neg. to help eliminate torque steer. I am talking about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Any thoughts? thanks George PS FWD drag cars.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 11:11:42 PM »
I think I recall Higginbotham telling me he got his inline car to really settle down when he eliminated some scrub radius issues---I only drove it after the fact---he said it loads in the trailer much easier now also.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 01:01:07 AM »
0" is best because it eliminates any steering effect caused by the offset. Negative may have less effect than positive simply because it is closer to the centerline of the car and may have less leverage. Have to do a little more thinking on that one. The problem comes when one wheel is loaded more than the other. At that point the heavier loaded wheel will affect the steering.

The real problem comes when there is some sort of side to side oscillation which will then cause the car to weave.

The interesting part of this whole thing is that negative offset will cause the car to go in the opposite direction to positive offset.

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 09:04:23 AM »
On my new wheels I have a slight amount of neg---MY GUESS at what tire growth will be---tire growth will move it toward zero at speed.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 11:18:01 AM »
This month of Hot Rod has "Suspension Demystified"  has lots of good illustrations of various suspension terms!  Has some information also on how some interact with the others.  Thanks HR