Author Topic: Elmo points and engine class changing  (Read 18083 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Elmo points and engine class changing
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 11:16:40 PM »
I salute you and your familys effort---sounds like you both get it----Sounds like you understand ---

to be competitive as a record breaker---one must be prepared to break more than you fair share of parts!  thats the easy part--breaking the parts  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline desotoman

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 11:51:09 PM »
"way too many open minimums that IMO are way too soft. So much easier to get a record in and become a points champion"

We only ran on established records.

Let me also classify "easy" for you all.
My 1.5 engine, (H class) that took 2 years to design and build was killed on the dyno two days after the May meet. By killed I mean shrapnel through the whole dry sump system, scored the custom crank, burned rods, bearings in many pieces etc etc. I borrowed Doug's F spare engine to run on for June, July and Bonneville and got rid of the dry sump system as we just couldn't do it reliably, without killing yet more engines (we killed 3 last season). My 1.5 was fixed in time for Bonneville, where my "beloved" husband takes it, thrashes the hell out of it, and eventually kills it again. A valve or valve seat dropped. (We had words about that one). It was re-built yet again, (I needed it for Sept), with a new piston and new head. The F engine, also died due to a radiator failure, which toasted the lot - warping the head and possibly the block.
So to add up the carnage, we have re-built 3 engines this year, been up for testing at the lake each month (except for Sept, cause we were putting in the engine and dynoing the night before) and spent countless hours on the dyno and in the garage doing engine swaps, testing of new parts / systems, updating fire systems (after catching on fire yet again at Bonneville) etc. We have killed many superchargers (KraftWerks must love us) and my kids refer to the parking lot behind the garage, as the play yard.  Please don't think that this is/was easy. It takes lots of time and especially commitment and continued enthusiasm from everyone on the team. And then not to mention doing Rod Rider Secretary and SCTA Secretary, Assisting Starter etc etc etc. Easy... yeah right!

Miriam,

I was not referring to you or your championship. My point is that if you cannot jump engine classes IMO there are soft open minimums, in both car and bike classes that IMO would be easier to set records in then other engine classes. No offense intended.

Tom G.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 11:55:11 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 01:31:16 AM »
"way too many open minimums that IMO are way too soft. So much easier to get a record in and become a points champion"

We only ran on established records.

Let me also classify "easy" for you all.
My 1.5 engine, (H class) that took 2 years to design and build was killed on the dyno two days after the May meet. By killed I mean shrapnel through the whole dry sump system, scored the custom crank, burned rods, bearings in many pieces etc etc. I borrowed Doug's F spare engine to run on for June, July and Bonneville and got rid of the dry sump system as we just couldn't do it reliably, without killing yet more engines (we killed 3 last season). My 1.5 was fixed in time for Bonneville, where my "beloved" husband takes it, thrashes the hell out of it, and eventually kills it again. A valve or valve seat dropped. (We had words about that one). It was re-built yet again, (I needed it for Sept), with a new piston and new head. The F engine, also died due to a radiator failure, which toasted the lot - warping the head and possibly the block.
So to add up the carnage, we have re-built 3 engines this year, been up for testing at the lake each month (except for Sept, cause we were putting in the engine and dynoing the night before) and spent countless hours on the dyno and in the garage doing engine swaps, testing of new parts / systems, updating fire systems (after catching on fire yet again at Bonneville) etc. We have killed many superchargers (KraftWerks must love us) and my kids refer to the parking lot behind the garage, as the play yard.  Please don't think that this is/was easy. It takes lots of time and especially commitment and continued enthusiasm from everyone on the team. And then not to mention doing Rod Rider Secretary and SCTA Secretary, Assisting Starter etc etc etc. Easy... yeah right!

Miriam,

"Easy"

Yeah right..tell them...now go 1-2-3-4 in the points with the same engines and see how "easy" it is.

Congrats to you, your team, sponsors and supporters.. :cheers:  If it was easy more would do it. :wink:

Noonan

PS. Thank you for what you are doing with the SCTA, you are taking on a very active role and as I have told you before in person, THANK YOU.

J

Offline dw230

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 11:23:37 AM »
Great post Miriam. Shows the commintment to win, even in SCTA. There is nothing easy about it (or cheap).

Those that wish to change the system need to put wheels on the race track. You can't win the championship driving the keyboard.

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline RichFox

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 01:33:28 PM »
Usually I see new guys on here complaining that the minimums are to high. Want them lowered to what ever speed the car is now running. Guess it depends which side of the fence your looking from.

Offline johnbeck

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 04:30:13 PM »
Those Hondata cars are simply amazing. The speeds they are going just blows my mind. Obviosly they are pushing them hard to run the speeds that they are and I can see the reason for engine swapping to stay in the chase. It just so happens that the engine they swap to can put 10 , 20 , or 30 mph on the record.
My C/BG engine stayed together for the 4 races we got in this year and I was planning to kick up the boost in Oct. and again in Nov. Would it have stayed together? We will never know now but my point is I was looking to improve my speeds by tuning  and trying to drive better in order to move up in the points. It would have probely ben easyer to drop in my B engine and pick up some more points that way because the record is soft now.
Not everybody has 2 or 3 engines for there car or bike , so to compete for the championship with the current rules those that do have an advantage. I can see just a fuel swap like a C/GR to a C/FR can be easly done unless you have a street roadster where there is no fuel class.
Don't get me wrong , I think the last few points champs really worked hard and deserved the crown , I just think it would open up the competition to more competitors who could enjoy the competition of the points chase.
Go ahead , fire away , I just want to say I really , really love this sport and allmost all of the people involved.
nitro junkie

Offline mvwolfe

• New folks
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 06:05:59 PM »
 As a former player in the elusive #1 points chase at El Mirage I have never seen anyone back into it.  We ran Chrysler,De Soto, and Dodge Hemi's blown and un-blown on fuel the year Bob Haselwerdt and I got lucky.  Some folks have done it more than one time and my hat is off to them.  That SCTA life membership is expensive and time consuming. 

There was a perception that someone could sandbag on an open record(s) when the many new classes were added over the years and the minimums were established.  I personally dont think there are any soft minimums.  My AA/Gas Lakester that cant find impound is running 190 on a 223 record.  If I change to fuel the minimum is 270.  Anyone want to supply a bullet to catch that softy?  I would love to visit Dan Warner in impound instead of just visiting at cocktail hour.

Monte Wolfe
Monte Wolfe

Offline desotoman

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 12:32:09 AM »
Usually I see new guys on here complaining that the minimums are to high. Want them lowered to what ever speed the car is now running. Guess it depends which side of the fence your looking from.

Rich this is not directed at you, this is for all the non believers on the soft open minimums.

I am just being realistic. Look at all the Roadster classes that is a perfect example of soft open minimums in the REMR class. Lets pick one of many examples.

C/Blown Gas Roadster current record is 229.373, C/BGRM open minimum 200.000, B/BGRM open minimum 210.000. A/BGRM open minimum 220.000, AA/BGRM open minimum 230.000. I could go on but this gives you an idea of what I am talking about. Now I suppose someone will say a REMR is less aero than a Roadster. LOL

Tom G.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 12:46:34 AM »
Now I suppose someone will say a REMR is less aero than a Roadster. LOL

Tom G.

Tom, you know they are.   :evil:  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline dw230

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 01:39:41 AM »
Tom,

Do you think the minimums were placed at those levels to promote participation?

If they are so soft why not yet broken? Or, a second question - Are there too many classes for the number of vehicles built?

Please refer to my last comment from earlier today, re: winning from the keyboard.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 01:57:01 AM »
winning from the keyboard.

DW

Funny you should write that Dan.  Earlier this this evening I was tucked right down on the keyboard and I clocked 241.759.  
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 02:29:49 AM »
winning from the keyboard.

DW

Funny you should write that Dan.  Earlier this this evening I was tucked right down on the keyboard and I clocked 241.759.  

I only went 240.019 so you have me beat.. :-D

Offline desotoman

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 02:58:12 AM »
Tom,

If they are so soft why not yet broken? Or, a second question - Are there too many classes for the number of vehicles built?

Please refer to my last comment from earlier today, re: winning from the keyboard.

DW

Why would you put minimums below what slower class vehicles have run. It does not make sense, especially when a points race is in effect? Or are you actually confirming what I am saying.

You know the answer to that, it is a new class and not many vehicles have been constructed that run at El Mirage.
And Yes on the second part.

Dan, if you go back and read the very first post on this thread, John asked the question "I would like to hear what you all would say to putting a stop to all the engine class jumping in the championship chase." All I did was express my opinion. I guess I don't get what this has to do with winning from the keyboard, it went over my head.

Now if you are asking when I will bring a car back out and race at El Mirage, I can tell you I will when my financial situation improves. The last couple of years hit me pretty hard in the pocket and took all my fun money. Since I pay for everything on my own dime I will just wait.

Tom G.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 02:59:00 AM »
John,  My computer has a Charlie Toy app.  Makes a big difference.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 01:31:42 PM »
N592 & Noonan:

If you'd like trophies for your new record keyboard speeds, please contact me (pm is best) to help design the award and figure out what you'd like it to say.  Oh, don't forget that I'll need to know if you're using a desktop or laptop keyboard, and whether it's a wireless or the old-fashioned hard-wired type of keyboard,

Didn't think of this, did you, Dan?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com