Author Topic: Elmo points and engine class changing  (Read 18079 times)

Offline johnbeck

Elmo points and engine class changing
« on: October 20, 2010, 12:20:24 PM »
Since land speed racing is about going fast and setting records , or doing your personal best , I would like to hear what you all would say to putting a stop to all the engine class jumping in the championship chase.
I think it might be interesting to see how racers could improve their speed with tunning and driving skills.
I am not taking anything away from those who do class jump or their accomplishments , but most of us don't do it.
Or maybe a seperate points system for those who run the same engine class all year. I mean , in reallity there is only a handfull of cars doing this right?
Don't get me wrong , I am not saying what is wrong or right , just throwing it out there thats all.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 07:13:34 PM by johnbeck »
nitro junkie

Offline mkilger

Re: Elmo points and class changing
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 12:24:06 PM »
John dont you  guys have any 300 MPR roadsters to build I would think the phone would be ringing  :wink:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 12:32:28 PM »
I thought class jumping for points wasn't allowed anyway. :-P

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 12:36:42 PM »
The boy's and I were just talking about that this last weekend. I was telling them how "bad" it was in the past when some clubs ran their street vehicles to gain points. We didn't take just the top 3 points earners then.
I like the concept John but don't know how you'd implement it.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline johnbeck

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 03:08:32 PM »
Well Mike , could we take it to the club meeting and vote on it? I think thats how its done.
Send the reps to their meeting and then the other clubs will vote on it?
nitro junkie

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 03:28:03 PM »
John,

If they are racing the same car/bike what will it affect or who if you make the vehicles stay all year in one class?  I stayed all year in Blown Fuel and Blown Gas with the same engine..with a 200mph vehicle we can start in the 2 line as long as we have gone 200+ in that class same as the 511 car?

What exactly is the issue as I am not sure what the problem is?

Have you run the car in the class you ran at Bonneville so you can run out of the two line or will you swap numbers from another car so you have better starting position if you bring it to El mirage next month?

Just make up a nice award/trophy and give it to your team.. :-D

Congrats again on the runs at B-Ville  :-o  Wished I would have been able to see them, any in car cameras while making those historic runs?

See you next month..this month is done..

Noonan

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Elmo points and engine class changing
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 08:10:56 PM »
We were thinking of building a Pickup where all we would have to do is drop out the frt. drive shaft.  We were told to hold up the build as  they are thinking of dropping the ??????  dropping the frt drive shaft might be easier than changing engs.  You think?????????
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline dw230

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 08:57:52 PM »
Isn't that John's point? Add a drive shaft, drop a drive shaft, blown, unblown, air dam added, air dam off. Six classes, six meets= easy math.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 10:24:52 PM »
DW of course.  It sounds like we may soon have a "CLASSIC RULE" for all classes.

I sure understand why for EL M points race it would make sense to stay in the Body classification you entered the 1st meet for the season--

As opposed to  BMP,  MP by removing a blower.  Or especially  MP or PP just by droping a driveshaft.  You guys know the ins and out of EL M---much better than me. We were just trying to come up with a program that would be competetive---3 classifications might have gotten it done   :-D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 09:38:07 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline racekid

• 701 C/GMR LeFevers & Jesel
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 06:37:53 PM »
I don't think John was talking about running out of the 200mph line or bettering his position. I think he was talking about making the points race more intresting or more competitive. (not saying that it's not already)

Offline racekid

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 06:42:30 PM »
and by the way John congratulations to you and your team for such a huge accomplisment

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 06:46:57 PM »
At Elmo the entry name must be the same every time
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline racekid

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 06:56:17 PM »
"I would like to hear what you all would say to putting a stop to all the engine class jumping in the championship chase."

Offline desotoman

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 09:51:15 PM »
It sounds good but there are way too many open minimums that IMO are way too soft. So much easier to get a record in and become a points champion. It would be like sandbagging and not really mean anything.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Mac

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 11:09:55 PM »
"way too many open minimums that IMO are way too soft. So much easier to get a record in and become a points champion"

We only ran on established records.

Let me also classify "easy" for you all.
My 1.5 engine, (H class) that took 2 years to design and build was killed on the dyno two days after the May meet. By killed I mean shrapnel through the whole dry sump system, scored the custom crank, burned rods, bearings in many pieces etc etc. I borrowed Doug's F spare engine to run on for June, July and Bonneville and got rid of the dry sump system as we just couldn't do it reliably, without killing yet more engines (we killed 3 last season). My 1.5 was fixed in time for Bonneville, where my "beloved" husband takes it, thrashes the hell out of it, and eventually kills it again. A valve or valve seat dropped. (We had words about that one). It was re-built yet again, (I needed it for Sept), with a new piston and new head. The F engine, also died due to a radiator failure, which toasted the lot - warping the head and possibly the block.
So to add up the carnage, we have re-built 3 engines this year, been up for testing at the lake each month (except for Sept, cause we were putting in the engine and dynoing the night before) and spent countless hours on the dyno and in the garage doing engine swaps, testing of new parts / systems, updating fire systems (after catching on fire yet again at Bonneville) etc. We have killed many superchargers (KraftWerks must love us) and my kids refer to the parking lot behind the garage, as the play yard.  Please don't think that this is/was easy. It takes lots of time and especially commitment and continued enthusiasm from everyone on the team. And then not to mention doing Rod Rider Secretary and SCTA Secretary, Assisting Starter etc etc etc. Easy... yeah right!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 11:35:30 PM by Mac »