Author Topic: Covered wheel well=Streamliner?  (Read 10322 times)

Offline mkilger

Re: Covered wheel well=Streamliner?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 12:58:31 PM »
thanks  Dan but cant seem to find one, but thats ok  he will make it right Iam sure.

Offline dw230

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 01:12:23 PM »
4 barrel Mike is good at finding lost threads. May be he can help.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline DallasV

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 01:44:01 PM »
For comp coupe "chopped top" is the only legal body modification from the cowl back. No rear wheel covers. The design you have would run for time only. If you want to run a competative CC over 2, I would suggest putting the front wheels further out for longer wheel base, running a full belly pan, chopping the top, and setting the engine back. Good luck
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 03:44:14 PM »
Are you paying for it?

The last 2 racers lost in Competition were in Comp Coupes, John Beckett, and Barry Bryant, not to mention Earl Wooden's Wild Ride a few yeas ago.

All were/are very experienced racers and car builders, tread cautiously.
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 04:41:52 PM »
If you want to run a competative CC over 2, I would suggest putting the front wheels further out for longer wheel base, running a full belly pan, chopping the top, and setting the engine back. Good luck

Equally good suggestions but I think they're beyond the scope of this car.  The car is FWD and is already 95% or so complete.  I don't think there are any plans for a stretched wheelbase or body or a top chop or converting to RWD with longitudinal engine placement.  He wants to do what he wants to do with what he has and he's obviously more than welcome to.

My advice is to do everything you can within the limits of the rules if you want to set a legit record.  If you want to experiment with rear wheel covers, go ahead but know in advance that it won't be legal. 

I really admire what you're doing and the amount of work you've put into this.  It is traditional in the sense of what you're doing (building a comp coupe) but untraditional in your execution (ugly 80's hatchback, 4G63, crazy aero package, etc.)

On a side note, I don't think there's much of a correlation between a particular body class and the latest incidents/injuries/deaths.  This is racing and shit happens regardless of the builder, driver, or body class. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline biglady112

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 07:16:13 PM »
I built this car with the intentions of running time only. I did not intend to build a competition coupe. But my car just happens to fit in this class. However, the sutton family and mountain states racing would like to see this car chase down at least one class record.

I am mearly just working with a car that I already had. Much like a lot of other door slammers do out there. I just want to go fast and this little car does.

Obviously it is not ideal for much, but again, it's what I had. If it came to doing all the rediculous work, I would stuff a little 4G63 2.0L into a streamliner and do it the right way. But for now I need to break my cherry and get some experience under my belt. It is looking like the car will make it to utah for 2011. Once we get past this body work and paint, it is more or less done. Just tires and a racepak and we can see what the little car is made of.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 07:17:26 PM »
Oh, and thanks nathan, I appreciate the support. It was nice meeting you while you teched nick' car at speed week.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 07:37:34 PM »
4 barrel Mike is good at finding lost threads. May be he can help.

DW

Build thread on the 2nd page of threads in that section: http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4777.15.html last updated 27 Sept.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 08:23:34 PM »
I believe SCTA will tech a car to the class it nearest resemble and hold you accountable for the safety items required for that class and speed.  And/or they will put a speed limit on you.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline dw230

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 09:03:37 PM »
Thanks Mike.

Don't forget to add Jim Kirk to the recent CC crash list. Bob Johnson's CTS looked more CC than Mod Sports and it also crashed.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline akk

• owner of #920/928 Contrivance Special
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 09:19:18 PM »
At 200 you get about 1 psi pressure......lets see...60 inches  wide x 120 inches long = 7200 pounds lift

If this short wheel base car hits a wet spot it needs to weigh 9000 pounds to stay on the ground...if the wing falls off first???

Think about it.....build something else.... or..... put a small motor in it and have some fun!!!!!

Akk
holder of AA/GMR A/GMR B/GMR C/GMR D/GMR E/GMR records

Offline biglady112

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 12:59:10 AM »
Back off akk. The car is front wheel drive. And currently uses a 1.6L motor. But, it is capable of well over 200mph.

Again, are you paying for it? If not, the build will move forward as planned.

The car is legal to run over 200mph. It has a 45ft parachute, two 10lb fire systems rediculous roll cage and all the goodies it needs to be safe.

I saw Jim Kirk's car at speed week. You guys are comparing apples to oranges here.

We will streamline the car, but leave the option of removing the rear wheel covers if that is what I am asked to do. I just needed to see which direction I had to go.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2010, 01:17:24 AM »
Doesn't make sense, you want a record yet you build it so it won't fit in.  Sounds like you spinning your tires for no good reason. :cheers:

Offline dw230

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2010, 01:07:12 PM »
If you want to race at the salt you need to follow the rules in the SCTA-BNI rulebook. I suggest you take a look again at the highlighted in red sentences:

5.A   SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION CATEGORY
This category is the pinnacle of the straightaway racer’s art. It contains three main groups. In the automobile group are  the unlimited Streamliners and open-wheeled Lakesters with a 4+ wheel configuration and in the motorcycle group are the Streamliner and Streamliner Sidecar classes. These classes allow both blown and un-blown, gas or fuel engines. These are all-out straightaway vehicles with non-stock engine blocks allowed, (with the exception of specific Vintage engine classes).  Innovation is encouraged, within the rules.  Modified production bodies are forbidden. Four-wheel drive is allowed in the automotive group only.
It is strongly recommended that all new vehicles be submitted for a pre-event inspection by appointment with the Technical Committee. If not practical because of distance, photographs and drawings may be submitted to the Technical Committee Chairman, see Section 16.

5.D.1   Competition Coupe & Sedan - /BFCC, /FCC, /BGCC, /GCC
This class encompasses production coupe or sedan bodies unaltered in width or contour. Streamlining ahead of and including the cowl, channeling, belly pan and skirts and spoilers, as defined in Section 4.CC. is permitted. One of the following modifications SHALL be done to be considered in this class:
   1.   Top shall be chopped.
   2.   The vehicle shall have a full belly pan.
   3.   The body from the cowl forward shall be
       lengthened a minimum of 12 in.
   4.   The engine shall be set back a minimum of 25%
      of the wheelbase. The engine setback
      cannot exceed 50% of the wheelbase.
Other than top chopping, no modification to the body is allowed. Minimum vertical windshield height is 5 in. The front and rear chop shall be equal. Window openings may be covered by flat plates on the outside of the opening or left open. Driver shall sit COMPLETELY ahead of the rear axle, inside the body and behind the engine, except in rear-engine cars using the original engine LOCATION. Driver exit hatches in the roof are recommended but shall not change the contour of the body. Cars in this class are considered in the Modified category and shall comply with the general rules of the category.

I would think that MSA guys would tell you to follow the rules. Just because you build it doesn't mean you can run for class records.

DW
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:04:43 PM by dw230 »

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2010, 02:35:32 PM »
. . . or run at all.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records