Author Topic: Motorcycle choice for LSR?  (Read 7600 times)

Offline grant8605

• New folks
Motorcycle choice for LSR?
« on: October 19, 2010, 01:20:52 PM »
Hi! I'm new here, and am seeking advice from all you motorcycle guys/gals, about the most logical choice for an LSR bike. I have experience with high performance/track riding, but would have gone about doing that differently, had I gotten more information before building the bike. I don't want to make the same mistake in this venture. 

My goals:

-to see what it's like to go 200 MPH
-to do it on as stock a bike as is possible ('busa w/ nitrous and some sprockets? is what pops into my head, but I dunno)
-to learn more about this interesting sport. I don't know anywhere near enough right now.
-to eventually go to Maxton, and see what my presently non-existent bike can do.
-to keep it (relatively speaking) cheap, under 10-12K. I've got everything I need except the bike (minor detail).

I don't care about breaking records. I don't care what class I'm in, whatever is necessary for me to reach my goals.

If anyone DOES read this, a few questions.......

-What kind of tires are people going 200+ running?
-If you had it to do again, would you have done anything differently?
-Any general advice for a newbie?
-Anything I'm not taking into consideration?

Thanks very much in advance to anyone who replies. I don't know where else I would go to get this kind of information. Take care..........

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Motorcycle choice for LSR?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 02:37:15 PM »
A box-stock Hayabusa or ZX14 will get you close -- about 186, assuming the speed limiter is still on the bike.  Our ZX14 with that limiter removed - still topped out at 185 on the salt.

You'll need about 200 or a little more horsepower to get to 200 mph.  Nancy races our other ZX14 - and it's got a big block motor among other things, like a superb tune up.  She's ridden that bike to 204 -- making about 207 hp.

The 'Busa has way more aftermarket parts and people to help you, so if you really want to be a newbie -- look for a relatively new (but used) Hayabusa.  But it for half your budget, say, and spend the rest on some good parts.  I know you can get the power necessary using nitrous -- but there are other ways, most of which aren't quite as likely to blow up the motor (as is nitrous, that is).

So -- plan on attending aan event at Maxton as soon as you can.  You'll get a chance to see in person a bunch of bikes that'll go 200, and you'll also meet a good number of us racers.  Have you got a rulebook yet?  If not -- spend the $$ and get both an ECTA and SCTA rulebook.   They're invaluable investments.

Best wishes, and welcome to the fun.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 03:13:33 PM »
What Jon said. Where are you?
 Get mid year Busa=== 2003 to 2007,they are plentiful and cheap. Software available to take out speed limiter and have tune and trigger nitrous. 50 shot and sprockets probably do it if salt cooperates with traction. Did one for a friend this year and cost was reasonable.
Read rulebooks,then read them again. Bubs is your best bet as you don't need chase vehicle,race tires,and most leathers are legal,not to mention the licensing for SCTA.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline RansomT

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 03:35:06 PM »
I have done this in the past with the same intent.

Like others have said, 'Busa and for simplicty a late '02 or newer.  A good aftermarket exhaust, lowered some, gearing change, a 50 shot, good fuel for Nitrous, and I would highly recommend a flashed ECU with at least a good dyno tune with someone who knows how to tune.

and with all due respect, you will probably need a few events prior to the nitrous to get the hang of LSR.

I've witnessed many new folks show up at Maxton with a turbo Busa thinking that 200 mph was only 1 run away, only to find it isn't so.

You can also get into the low, low 200s on all motor on a Gen 1 Busa, but it does all the bolt-ons, a lot of head work/cams, and a lot of experience.  The cheapest however, would be the nitrous route.  (as long as the tune is right, or it could be the most expensive.  :wink: )

Offline salt27

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 04:07:55 PM »
What Jon said. Where are you?
 Get mid year Busa=== 2003 to 2007,they are plentiful and cheap. Software available to take out speed limiter and have tune and trigger nitrous. 50 shot and sprockets probably do it if salt cooperates with traction. Did one for a friend this year and cost was reasonable.
Read rulebooks,then read them again. Bubs is your best bet as you don't need chase vehicle,race tires,and most leathers are legal,not to mention the licensing for SCTA.
Just curios, is the 03 to 07 Busa just a money thing or is there more to it?

Thanks, Don

Offline joea

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 04:13:39 PM »
yep...if thats your goal...

get a busa...you can get one ready to go...they are a dime
a dozen...everyone and some of their mothers, sisters, daughters,
and sons have done it...........

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 04:16:09 PM »
The earlier, 99-02, have some disadvantages. ECU flashing is not possible, I think. The fuel pump is external, I like the internal pump on mine. Seems like there are some other things but CRS strikes again.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline RansomT

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 06:11:49 PM »
The earlier, 99-02, have some disadvantages. ECU flashing is not possible, I think. The fuel pump is external, I like the internal pump on mine. Seems like there are some other things but CRS strikes again.

Close Fred.   :-)        Mecanically all years (99-07) are nearly identical.  CRS also hits me on when the internal/external pump switch took place. 01, I think.   However, I do perfer the external pumps especially when spraying nitrous.
ECU flashing is much eaiser on later 02s and newer (32-bit ECUs).  The wiring harnesses can be repinned on 99-00 to accept the 32-bit ECUs and rotor, 01 and up has the same harness.  99-00 has no speed limiter.

Offline grant8605

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 06:15:55 PM »
Wow! Thanks for all the responses. A few comments/answers.............

So -- plan on attending aan event at Maxton as soon as you can.  You'll get a chance to see in person a bunch of bikes that'll go 200, and you'll also meet a good number of us racers.  Have you got a rulebook yet?  If not -- spend the $$ and get both an ECTA and SCTA rulebook.   They're invaluable investments.

Best wishes, and welcome to the fun.

I'll be out A.S.A.P, probably first thing next year. I'll get a rule book and read between now and then. Thanks!

Offline grant8605

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 06:17:18 PM »

Offline grant8605

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 06:30:56 PM »
I have done this in the past with the same intent.

Like others have said, 'Busa and for simplicty a late '02 or newer.  A good aftermarket exhaust, lowered some, gearing change, a 50 shot, good fuel for Nitrous, and I would highly recommend a flashed ECU with at least a good dyno tune with someone who knows how to tune.

and with all due respect, you will probably need a few events prior to the nitrous to get the hang of LSR.

I've witnessed many new folks show up at Maxton with a turbo Busa thinking that 200 mph was only 1 run away, only to find it isn't so.

You can also get into the low, low 200s on all motor on a Gen 1 Busa, but it does all the bolt-ons, a lot of head work/cams, and a lot of experience.  The cheapest however, would be the nitrous route.  (as long as the tune is right, or it could be the most expensive.  :wink: )

Is the 50 shot the you refer to wet or dry? Is one easier/more cost-effective than the other?

What is a "flashed" ECU?

Looks like you're located pretty close to me. Know of any good tuners?

In regards to folks with turbos not getting to 200 the first time..... What are the obstacles they have to overcome, if they're not lacking in the machinery department? In my experience at trackdays, the largest obstacle for people to overcome is psychological. Is it the same thing with LSR? Getting a feel for the course? Good ol' fashioned cojones? (BTW.... I really appreciate this kind of insightful advice)
Thanks.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 06:39:12 PM »
PM sent.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 06:49:11 PM »

It is loads of fun but work up to it. Seriously, not wishing to bring up bad stuff, but a recent competitor tried the 200 in one run deal having been told to make a 125 pass, was clocked at 191 (as I understand) but did not walk away from the crash. A very sad day, but an avoidable one.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 12:45:17 AM »
Grant, there is a lot to learn.  A 600cc four cylinder is a good bike to ride for a few years.  It is fast enough to be fun and slow enough to show you how changes in setup and riding technique affect speed.  It is a good idea to master and understand the fundementals before attempting insane speeds. 

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 01:15:24 AM »
As long as a guy has a somewhat sensible right hand there should be no problem in starting out with the bike you're going to use to accomplish your goals. That gives you a chance to work up at the same time as the bike. Why do more than one project?

Pete