Author Topic: Digital sketch pad  (Read 3831 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Digital sketch pad
« on: October 17, 2010, 02:32:26 PM »
I think that's what I want.  Here's the background -- maybe you folks can point me in the right direction -- or tell me that what I want isn't in the $100-range.

At the engraving shop we use often want to "touch up" a bit of art.  The touching-up would be easy to do if we had a "digital pen" that we could use to finish a line, for instance, or fill in a spot.  We can do this work with a mouse - but the mouse isn't the best for the job and is often pretty clumsy.  A sketch pad, whose pen strokes can be inputted to the computer, is what would work, I think.  But -- is there such a thing -- that'll allow lines (or whatever) drawn on the pad, to be displayed in real time on the computer's monitor?

That's what I'd like.  Anybody got any help?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Digital sketch pad
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 02:47:42 PM »
Jon, google    digital sketch pads...........  there's a bunch on there you can look at.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline DiveEZ

• Land Speed Photos.com
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 03:55:24 PM »
Jon

I use a Hanvon. Most of them can sense the pressure of the pin to make thicker lines or thin lines depending on the pressure. They do take some getting use to at first. Size of the pad makes a difference.
Zane
50's Hybrid, Burns Gasoline and rubber.

www.LandSpeedPhotos.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 04:42:51 PM »
Yes, I've googled and I've looked at specs of lots of 'em -- I ask here in hopes that someone will read into my query and tell me that the specific things I want to do - are either possible or not possible with one of the items.

I'm thinking that the best-world solution would take the artwork that's on the computer's screen and reproduce it on the sketch pad's little surface, so I could draw directly on it.  I doubt that that is possible, but I want to ask.  If not doing it that way -- maybe the pad can be hooked to the computer so that movement of the stylus on the pad's surface will be shown on the computer screen in real time.

Again -- I want to be able to touch-up art, not take notes or make entire drawings (although that's a thing we'd probably want to do at a later time).  And so, before I invest the 50 bucks or whatever it takes (about $50 on Amazon for one that has a good number of needed features) - before I spend the $$ I thought I'd ask you folks.  Thanks.

A few minutes later - - -

I've looked at the Hanvon description and it appears to have at least some, if not all, of the abilities I want.  I won't buy yet -- will wait for others to check in and tell me their experiences.  Thanks for what you've already offered.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 04:48:44 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 07:00:05 PM »
Jon.......... I used a WACOM 6x8 tablet for all my art work when I had my Sign shop and T-shirt printing business. I used Corel Draw and Paint for my art programs. This system works great for creating art work or just touch up art. The pen can be used just like the mouse but with much better control. Just like drawing with a pen. You just install the software and plug the pad to the computer and off you go. What you draw on the pad is displayed on your monitor real time.  The pen is also wireless so no cables that get in your way. I did my art work for several years with a mouse before I bought my digitizing tablet. I can't imagine doing art work now without it. It takes a little getting use to, a day or two, but when you get a feel for it you will love it. Let me know if you need any detailed info on my pen and pad.

Jerry O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 02:59:57 PM »
Jerry --  One of the Bamboo models, or which other?  Thanks -- still shopping and there are many models.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 07:54:35 PM »
slim
I use a 10 year old WACOM tablet..... still works great
kent

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 04:50:49 PM »
Jon......           My tablet is a WACOM Graphire 4 with a 6x8 tablet size.  It can be ran with Vista, XP, 2000 and OSX.  I think it is about middle as for the cost of the Wacom tablets but it does everything I need it to do.  I bought it about four years ago off E-bay for about $75 used. Still works great.

Jerry O

landracing

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 07:49:12 PM »
Adobe Photoshop is an amazing tool that top graphic artists use. Even the most skilled photographers use photoshop to touch up photos. Extensive work is done with photoshop on almost any magazine.... I think best results could happen in photoshop. There are plenty of how to articles and some amazing books on the subject.

I could better understand If I saw a picture of what you are working with and what you want to do.

Jon

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 08:05:16 PM »
Jon, Photoshop is flexible and capable, there's no question.  And we have it.  But -- what I'm looking for is simply a way to draw that's easier (and more easily accurate) than using a mouse to guide a cursor on the screen.

Photoshop is a three-hour course at the local university -- and that's just a good solid introduction.  Good enough for some magazine work, sure -- but more than I need.  As for what's the picture -- there is no single item -- but rather whatever art comes through the door at the laser engraving store and needs some modifying or touching-up.

Thanks, one and all.  Wacom seems to be the preferred choice (2 to 1), but I still wonder which model Jerry used/suggests.  Remembering that we don't need much in the way of options -- maybe line thickness/width and eraseability.  For sure no colors -- the laser doesn't do color so there's no need for it.  Well, that's not correct, in a way.  The program uses line color to guide the laser machine -- black gets lasered first, then red, then green, etc.  But that's just arbitrary and doesn't show up in the product.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 08:48:37 PM »
Jon          The model of my wacom tablet is called Graphire 4.   I think this was a earlier model that was in production from 1999 to about 2001.  It has most of the features the Bamboo model has, just a little older.  The Bamboo is just a newer model with a few extra bells and whistles. I think that Bamboo has three different models to choose from depending on how complicated and detailed your art work needs to be. I have not used the Bamboo model but am sure it will do anything the Graphire will do.  As for setting line width, color selection or any photo editing, that will be set with your art work software. Pen sensitivity is set with the tablet software. I have both Adobe Photoshop and Corel Paint shop and it works great in both programs. What program are you using for your art work. Hope this was some help to you.

Jerry O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 09:34:11 PM »
Adobe Illustrator and a little bit of Corel Draw.  As I said just above -- we don't use color at all -- so there's no need for all that that stuff entails.  Photo editing -- not done, save for playing a bit with contrast so it'll laser engrave better.

Thanks -- I'll look more carefully at the Bamboo.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com