Author Topic: CAD freeware - any experiences?  (Read 13638 times)

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
Re: CAD freeware - any experiences?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 09:18:41 AM »
This looks good. Thanks for the tip.  I was using Sketchup but I would like something closer to a real 3d modeler.
Does the ptc software have what I know as a sketcher?  They have this in NX and I think also in Solidworks.

If you just want to learn, don't waste your time with anything but solid modeling. 2D software is useless and dead.
Leave flatland forever! Once you transition to 3D you cannot return! You will be assimilated!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline lsrengineer

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
This looks good. Thanks for the tip.  I was using Sketchup but I would like something closer to a real 3d modeler.
Does the ptc software have what I know as a sketcher?  They have this in NX and I think also in Solidworks.

If you just want to learn, don't waste your time with anything but solid modeling. 2D software is useless and dead.
Leave flatland forever! Once you transition to 3D you cannot return! You will be assimilated!  :cheers:

Yes, I used to use NX (was UG) but don't have $20k for a licence or whatever it is at this point.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 03:46:39 PM »
Links to a bunch of freebies and low-cost CAD here: http://www.evanyares.com/cad-for-the-unemployed/

The guy writes an interesting blog on CAD and other tech issues, too!  :-)

Offline lsrengineer

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 10:28:24 PM »
Links to a bunch of freebies and low-cost CAD here: http://www.evanyares.com/cad-for-the-unemployed/

The guy writes an interesting blog on CAD and other tech issues, too!  :-)

another excellent link, informs re. various ways to get CAD at no or low cost.  Great stuff.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• Design Dreams, LLC

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 10:06:27 AM »

[/quote]

WOW! I guess you folks have just left me in the wind. I have use 2d software for over 30 years now. The 3d software and models are cool enough, but they just don't do it for me when it comes to efficient design work. For instants, if someone walks in with a part to make and I need to get dimensions for the machinist to make that part. I can usually do that much quicker in 2d and have them up and running the part. Most of the time quicker than it can be verbally described. There's no way I can do that in 3d.

It usually takes me longer to model a 3d part than it takes to machine it. Now I''ll admit at least some of that is my fault, and I do like 3d models, but as far as I'm concerned 2d is a long ways from "dead" when it comes to getting shop work done. To-date, I have never seen a set of shop pressure vessel, or pipe fabrication drawings issued out to the shop in 3d, and probably wont for some time to come. Other industries do, however, issue out 3d models but, I think of it as more for demonstration or marketing purposes, especially for folks that can't read 2d drawings, than to make the parts.

Yes I am squarely in the old school camp here it seems, but that's how I make a living and sometimes even get in some racing, old school of course.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 11:20:59 AM »
Johnnie, just saying that's where it's going. For simulation work 2D is still used but mostly for preliminary analysis. Ignoring tolerances, I can go from 3D CAD to the 3D printer with no 2D drawings. CAD/CAM can do the same within it's limits - as you well know - some still serious! It's no accident that all the 3D systems have 2D outputs for manufacturing. Twenty-five years ago I was told by a GM VP that everything would be done by the computers in five years.  :? All that said, I still use napkin sketches to get real work done! How else am I going to use up all those No. 2 pencils! :cheers: :cheers:

Offline rouse

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 12:35:46 PM »
Woody;

You'd be surprised at the amount of money I have invested in CAD/CAM. The idea was to help with some of the more complicated parts we have to make. I listened to all the "propaganda"as to how the whole work of machining was going to be so simple. Well, I'm still waiting on the "simple parts programing" to happen.

I could've bought that Shelby GT Mustang, and had a lot more fun, for about the same amount of money. The results, so far, we're still programing 99% of our part programs at the machine, from 2d Dwgs.

The time will come that we are more proficient with all this CAD/CAM investment (I hope), but we aint there yet.

The point to all this "High jack" (sorry about that) is, look for the software that fits your needs, no matter what the cost.

I'll get it one of these days.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 12:58:00 PM »
I've been using the free version of SketchUp....

http://www.sketchup.com/

to design ....

... a small camper trailer that I'm building to also haul the motorcycle and ATV with and like it,

Sumner

Offline bubruins

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 05:42:03 PM »
X2 on sketchup. The warehouse is awesome to pull from as well. Once you learn simple building (learn on youtube), grabbing models from the warehouse and scaling/modifying for your application is awesome.

FYI, you can convert sketchup files to autocad files and then run them in flow design. Learning poly count and how to appropriately use flow design is a whole different monster!

Offline DaveB

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 10:23:09 AM »
At my place of employment we use DesignCad for all items that can be properly understood in 2D such as many fabrications. It can also send files in AutoCAD format. This is important because this type of file has became somewhat universal. Some fabricators we work with will take our 2D drawing and import it directly into their AutoCAD compatible equipment such as a burn out table. Now they do not have to enter data points manually. We have computers with versions of DesignCad from 14 to 22 and all of them can still send to the newest AutoCAD. I've seen early versions of DesignCad for as little as 7 dollars. I would not recommend AutoCAD even though it in such wide commercial use because of its cost. DesignCad has worked well for me and I also have AutoCAD experience.

As far as the 3D vs 2D debate. Trust the people who have experience in both types of systems and are not easily swayed by the latest developments unless they relate to your application. How many land speed racers want to use a 3D printer to make engine mounts out of plastic resin :-P or even sintered metal? If you want to make a resin crankshaft so you might use it as part of the molding process that may be a good use for 3D. Another use for 3D is if you have a bulkhead with so many penetrations like linkages and wire looms that it is difficult to fit them all in and meet temperature or movement requirements. Rouse is correct. For straight forward fabrications and machined parts 2D is faster and easier to learn. This does not mean your software should not necessarily have 3D capability. You just do not need to use it.

Iguana mentioned progesoft. I looked at their web site and if it is everything they claim it to be it also looks like a good choice.
Everything I know about opera, I learned from Bugs Bunny.

Offline rouse

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 11:52:32 AM »
I didn't say I didn't have 3d, I did say Woody is a heck of a lot better at it than I am.

Maybe one day I will get more proficient with the 3D software, if I last long enough :-D.

But for what Woody does, there is no equal nor alternative that I know of, Yet. Maybe that's why he so good with it. :cheers:

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse

Offline DaveB

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2016, 12:15:50 PM »
I said "Rouse is correct. For straight forward fabrications and machined parts 2D is faster and easier to learn. This does not mean your software should not necessarily have 3D capability. You just do not need to use it."

Rouse, sorry I interpreted your posts incorrectly. I will stand by the thought as mine. "For straight forward fabrications and machined parts 2D is faster and easier to learn. This does not mean your software should not necessarily have 3D capability. You just do not need to use it."

In the context of what we are talking about which is learning a design/drafting package for straight forward fabrications, I suggest 2D. This does not stop someone from going further if they later choose.
Everything I know about opera, I learned from Bugs Bunny.

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 02:24:17 PM »
You can get Solidworks student edition which is the full product in its entirety for 105 GBP as long as it is used as a non profit tool you dont actually have to be a student.
I purchased the Student version about a month ago. After shopping online it came down to only 2 vendors that offered the $86US promotion. Both were clearly in the education software business and both had decent web sites. About $102US when you add shipping and tax. However, I think the price is now $150US. For the current promotion, SolidWorks requires that you are a legitimate student and the license is only good for 1 year. I had to prove I was enrolled in a class and show a student body card. I had to download a qualification form here:
https://store.solidworks.com/studentstore/default.php?command=Step1
It may be different in other countries.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 02:31:18 PM by Saltfever »

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 03:02:12 PM »
Regretfully I have not had much luck down loading the Siemens 2D program, my slow internet connection can get to around 2 gig and then it stops which is another hour wasted!! I did down load the Sketch software that Sum is using and it looks pretty easy so I am going to give it a try on some of my parts for my roadster rebuild and I am going to give the Siemens another try late tonight when my internet link is faster and maybe better.

As a LONG time user of "pencil cad" (over 50 years!) I think I understand why many people prefer the 2D system as it makes drawings similar to what we have always seen and understand but I guess it is time to finally get into at least 2D ability as I have some things I need water jet cut and they like their data in 2D..

Offical OLD F--K!

Rex

Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.