Author Topic: CAD freeware - any experiences?  (Read 13572 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
CAD freeware - any experiences?
« on: October 17, 2010, 11:16:58 AM »
I've got a few things I need to have made, and I'm looking for a simple, intuitive, and hopefully free CAD software program that will run on Windows.  I pulled these up on line, and I am curious if anyone has had experience with any of them.

http://www.freebyte.com/cad/cad.htm#2D3DCADSystems

Or if there is a freeware program that anyone else uses and has had success with, I'd like to hear about it.

Essentially, I need to be able to make blueprints for some machined and fabricated parts.  Limited 3D capabilities would be a huge bonus, but not necessary.

Thanks!

Chris

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
Re: CAD freeware - any experiences?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 12:15:35 PM »
Go to (www.)solidworks.com/sw/support/downloads.htm (Free CAD Tools tab)

eDrawings is a collaboration tool, you can view eDrawings created and sent by SolidWorks users.
SolidWorks Viewer allows you to look at SolidWorks files directly.

You have to download the new version each year and paid versions allows some mark-up & editing.

DraftSight replaces the former DWGEditor program which are both basically free AutoCAD replacements. They are providing this free because so many of their customers still have 2D needs or are paying AutoCAD subscriptions. Draftsight will ask for your (an) email whenever you save or print. E.g. ABC(@)xyz.com Most of the commercial freebies will have a hook of some kind.  :-D

I have heard the Alibre light is ok but have not used it.

Sketchup is not really CAD but you can do some great conceptual stuff with it! I have not tried it in two or three years.
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline iguana

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 07:36:53 AM »
"simple", "intuitive" and "CAD" are not usually used in the same sentence...

I have used progeSOFT Smart (http://www.progesoft.com/en/smart-2009) - a free CAD program in the Autocad clone mold. Works reasonably well, doesn't seem to require a lot of machine resources.
2004 Subaru WRX
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2015 I/FL ? ? ? ?

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 02:33:49 PM »
MM:

If, indeed, you only have a few items to be built, get out a pencil and paper.  However simple and intuitive the various CAD programs may claim to be, the truth is that there is a substantial learning curve involved with any of them which require considerable time and patience before any degree of proficiency is attained.  Especially if familiarity with coordinate systems and geometrical descriptions is not already in your tool bag.

If you are willing to put in the time in order to gain the needed skills, and see this as a lead-in for further or more sophisticated endeavors, fine.  In that case I would suggest that a better approach is to start with a commercially available and supported program.  These would have most of the bugs worked out and have “Help” features, printed documentation, user groups, examples, training exercises, file compatibility and interchange, etc.  An amazing amount of capability can be had for $50 - $100, including 3D.  You might want to checkout imsidesign.com among others.

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 10:38:40 PM »
Most of a parts/fabrication drawing is knowing how to dimension and tolerance the part so it is practical to make and fits where it's supposed to go properly. For 2D anything from paper and pencil up can get a good result. What are you trying to draw up?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 12:10:17 AM »
Most of a parts/fabrication drawing is knowing how to dimension and tolerance the part so it is practical to make and fits where it's supposed to go properly. For 2D anything from paper and pencil up can get a good result. What are you trying to draw up?

Simple parts, actually.  Motor mounts, a slave cylinder shield, a crankshaft.  Well, maybe not a crankshaft.  I've got a T-square and a table, and I could probably do it on a bar napkin with my wife's eye liner pencil, but I'd prefer being able to do it on the computer.

Thanks for the input.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 03:53:15 AM »

Simple parts, actually.  Motor mounts, a slave cylinder shield, a crankshaft.  Well, maybe not a crankshaft.  I've got a T-square and a table, and I could probably do it on a bar napkin with my wife's eye liner pencil, but I'd prefer being able to do it on the computer.

Thanks for the input.

One route you could go is checking with a local junior college and see what CAD training they offer. There are student versions for a number of higher end CAD packages like SolidWorks that are cheap but you have to be a student to buy them. It's sounding more like you want to see the part first.

I understand about swapping out the stock motor mounts. Would that be a heat shield for the slave cylinder?

Offline metalracing

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 09:17:19 PM »
       A few years back i tried doing some stuff in cad and it whooped my butt (autocad and a few other freeware ones But i can't find there names) and kind of stayed away from it i found out for me that i can accomplish more with my simple projects by cutting it out with a torch and trying it again!! I have had some times tho where i think i should learn it and the best thing i can do is say pick up a book or take a lessons like these www.we-r-here.com/cad/tutorials/index.html (I just scanned through i think its all free) Or sometimes what i like to do is hit the what i like to call youtube college and do a search for how to whatever. best of luck on the cad adventure.

ps wow i look like a spam bot after rereading that, don't take it that way!
Stapels in the cheap software bin is where i found one cad program for $10

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 02:16:43 PM »
You can get Solidworks student edition which is the full product in its entirety for 105 GBP as long as it is used as a non profit tool you dont actually have to be a student.I have just got it but unless you have a basic knowledge of CAD at least you may be out of your depth.
cheers Oz

http://www.studica.com/SolidWorks/solidworks_student_edition_2010-2011.html
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline 116ciHemi

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 10:22:20 PM »
I wish I had noticed this before, but if you ever need something in CAD, if you can sketch it on piece of paper, I can turn it into a proper three view drawing via autocad or even a NX5 solid model, though my modeling skills are a little iffy since I am still learning NX5 by the seat of my pants.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 10:55:02 AM »
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 11:30:59 AM »

Thanks for the input.
So Chris....You take your wife`s eye liner pencil to the bar with you ???  ( sorry , but you left yourself wide open) :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 02:48:49 PM »
I've used eMachineShop for years. Free and has a good tutorial.

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline makr

• I make my own rules
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 08:14:20 PM »
As a machinist, I prefer application information over someones attempt at a 2d freeware drawing. I usually end up having to recreate everything anyway, so you are not really buying yourself anything by doing the drawings yourself. If you have a shop you work with on a regular basis..ask them what they would prefer, or make some outline of what you need for a walk in.

If you just want to learn, don't waste your time with anything but solid modeling. 2D software is useless and dead.
Ride fast, safety last.

https://speedofcheeseracing.com/

Offline lsrengineer

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 11:36:49 PM »
Another 3D CAD freebie: http://www.ptc.com/products/creo-elements-direct/modeling-express/

This looks good. Thanks for the tip.  I was using Sketchup but I would like something closer to a real 3d modeler.
Does the ptc software have what I know as a sketcher?  They have this in NX and I think also in Solidworks.