Author Topic: Omega Engines using a thermodynamic cycle other than Otto  (Read 18241 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
CAM WARS
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2005, 02:36:39 AM »
It was Crower that showed me how ragged those cams were that closed so fast and late they bounced on the seat unless you had a huge spring setup that killed the action. They had so much strain on them that twist under power made a joke out of the timing towards the back of the cam and breakage was common.
Gentle on the valve train and long lasting sold a lot of parts to the circle track bunch.
The valve bouncers were nicknamed the 6 cycle and the promoters loved the broken ones more than the fire out the stack. It was fun watching the raw fuel out the bottom of the same pipe as the flame at idle. It wasn't that much fun if you were pushing back a front motored car.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Omega Engines using a thermodynamic cycle other than Otto
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2005, 01:19:36 PM »
so it sounds like the only "other than otto" power, is a rubberband!

trader

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2006, 12:51:51 AM »
As a matter of semantics, does the SCTA consider all 2 cycle (2 stroke) engines to be "Otto Cycle", without exception?

dwarner

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2006, 11:34:09 AM »
So far, yes. I'm not that smart on stuff. Tell us what you have and I can get the proper answer for you,

DW

Offline russ jensen

2 stroke=otto??
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2006, 09:46:20 AM »
:? DOES A SUPERCHARGED 2 STROKE = OTTO?????  I went through this about 10 years ago with vesco and jim? a scta and they said at that time it would just run in cu in class, although 2 strks should'nt.  I am working on opposed piston supercharged 2 strk [junkers] eng. will it still be able to run in bgmr?? in my 23 okland, I could put in lakester just as easy,but looking at the records I would have to down size cu in to find tires for the speed these cars run. What are the 300 + guys doing for tires anyway?
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Just for the record
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2006, 10:31:56 AM »
Forced induction from outside the motor is supercharged. A top fed by a blower 2 stroke is supercharged. A crankcase fed 2 stroke is not.
No matter what Otto said, spark ignition is just what it is and compression ignition is a diesel.
Stroke it as many times as you want, but how it gets there and how you get it lit are not the same.
You can suck it, blow it , fuel it, and steam it, but if it goes through batteries and an electric motor before it get to the ground it is electric. If you make steam with it and drive the wheels with that, it is a steamer, no matter if you you use pistons, blades , or both. If you go straight from fuel to blades to drive the wheels, you are a turbine and can't park near the pissing guys.
If it does not drive through the specified number of wheels,that blows and it just sucks because you have to run it another time.
I think. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

dwarner

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2006, 11:07:08 AM »
Jack -

One of the most understandable answers you have ever given.

Job well done!

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
IRREVERENT ?
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2006, 11:19:01 AM »
That was slightly irreverent but much better than the old days.
While I am more content to let things die, I still enjoy the hunt. :wink:

OBTW: Wanna buy a watch ?

Offline russ jensen

2 strk = otto???
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2006, 10:08:58 PM »
:?: I know an external blower is supercharged , thus BGMR. but does  the 2 strk part still qualify as otto or does it have to go to omega?? Was going to use p-38 9.6 blower , decided these have a bad surge problem , have a new one if anyone need one. russ.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
SURGE ?
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2006, 10:21:50 PM »
Surge is the product of mismatched supply and demand.
A reciprocating spark or compression ignition engine is not part of the Omega listings.

Offline russ jensen

surge
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2006, 11:01:19 PM »
:? Surge line runs real close to pressure line on these blowere, according to eng dsg book, from experience, they fly appart if a tractor snaps an acel or jumps out of gear etc, they are getting hard to find so I don't want to risk the one I have, besides, its patch time on housing. I like  gmc's a lot better. russ