Author Topic: Omega Engines using a thermodynamic cycle other than Otto  (Read 18232 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Bay days
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2005, 05:42:02 PM »
I have my choice of 2 bays. The other is Mission  Bay and it is over 1 mile away. The Pacific Ocean is almost 5 miles, but at least I have the boat for it.
I have talked with him before about it and you are correct, I think he wants you to paddle the other side so I can ski.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
omega
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2005, 05:48:26 PM »
Jack, Kalbach might use that big paddle to smack your back side LOL
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Omega engines
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2005, 10:31:38 AM »
Okay, I hate to break up this little love fest, but I have to admit my ignorance and ask:  What the hell is an "OMEGA" engine?

I've googled, I've asked Jeeves, I've been referred (by a search  engine) back to the SCTA rulebook -- I've seen Stirling,  Otto cycle, Miller cycle, Omega (brand) radio control engines, stuff for that little Oldsmobile -- but nothing that looks like a serious answer.

Sorry to try to inject a little seriousness. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Omega engines
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2005, 11:36:29 AM »
Okay, I know now.  I've been enlightened.  Thanks to all that sent me all of thoe interesting answers, most of which I discarded instantly.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
omagoda
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2005, 12:09:08 PM »
Engines other than Otto cycle is really pretty easy.
A Wankel has a formula that allows it to run with them for the most part because it also comes in a production car as does a 2 stroke and a compression ignition. The formula may not agree with someone that has ever been beat by one but there you have it.
The other than Otto is said to be externally powered as would be the case of an electric, steam (regardless of the final mechanics) and gas turbine.
All of these are wheel driven eventually no matter how you get there. Thrust might be a component , but the primary drive must make it go down the road by turning the wheels.
The huge demand has generated many hours dedicated to selling T-shirts and I don't see much action for the QMGODA class anytime soon.
But if you want to be listed as an entry, you can skip building the vehicle and just send the money. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
omega
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2005, 01:08:06 PM »
Jack, arn't all Otto cycle powered vehicles required to be rear engine, with rear steer and the QC gears upside down and a propeller running backwards to slow it down and to have pontoons in case it rear steers into the briny salt ponds near the highway.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
NO!
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2005, 06:56:02 PM »
Now you are speaking of Franl Otto and spilling all his speed secrets. You were sworn to silence and you might have to be banished to Utah forever.
Don't push it fat boy ! LOL

trader

Omega Engines using a thermodynamic cycle other than Otto
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2005, 08:51:05 PM »
The following classes are independent of the rules governing the Streamliner and Lakester ( Special Construction Category) as they have no limit to body/tire configuration.  They also are not G(as) or F(uel) or D(iesel) governed like the remainder of the other engine/body classes.  I do not believe they fall into the Omega engine class.    

TURBINE VEHICLE - /T

This class is for vehicles using turbine power (external combustion), as the sole means of propulsion. The vehicles must be wheel driven, either front or rear. Four wheel drive is allowed. THE BODY CONFIGURATION IS UNLIMITED.  The class will be based on vehicle weight less driver. The entrant MUST provide an annual weight certificate for classification purposes.

Class I under 1099 lb. (less than 500 kg)

Class II 1100-2200 lb. (500-1000kg)

Class III 2201 lb. and over (over 1000 kg)

ELECTRIC VEHICLE - /E

This class is for vehicles using electric power as the sole means of propulsion. The vehicles must be wheel driven, either front or rear. Four wheel drive is allowed. THE BODY CONFIGURATION IS UNLIMITED.  The class will be based on vehicle weight less driver.  The entrant MUST provide an annual weight certificate for classification purposes.

Class I under 1099 lb. (less than 500 kg)

Class II 1100-2200 lb. (500-1000kg)

Class III 2201 lb. and over (over 1000 kg)

trader

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2005, 09:24:31 PM »
The Omega engine option is only available to the Streamliner and Lakester Engine Classes.  I assume it is governed by the same criteria that applies to all the other engine categories.

STREAMLINER - /BFS, /FS, /BGS, /GS, /DS
Engine classes allowed are (Omega), AA, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, XO, XF, XXF, XXO, & V4.

LAKESTER - /BFL, /FL, /BGL, /GL
Engine classes allowed are: (Omega), AA, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, XF, XO, XXF, XXO & V4.

These are all-out straightaway vehicles with non-stock engine blocks allowed.  Innovation is unlimited.

I assume that the "Omega" designation is a prefix to all of these engine classes.  ie  (omega)C/BFL or (omega)C/FL or (omega)C/GL...   The other problem being that a Miller Cycle is supercharged as is a Detroit 2 cycle Diesel.  So would there be a blown and unblown class.  The part I am curious about is "innovation is unlimited".  Does this mean I can take a production 4 cycle engine and make it a 2 stroke or 3 stroke or whatever, as opposed to how it was produced.  Or can I take and cast and machine whatever assy I want and call it an Omega engine?   :idea: I am sure some one knows the history of why this class was originated, and can explain the ?????????????'s

Letter Cubic Inch Displacement Approximate Liter Equiv.
AA 501 cid and over 8.21 liters and over
A 440 thru 500  7.21 to 8.19
B 373 thru 439 6.11 to 7.19
C 306 thru 372 5.01 to 6.10
D 261 thru 305 4.27 to 5.00
E 184 thru 260 3.01 to 4.26
F 123 thru 183 2.01 to 3.00
G   93 thru 122 1.51 to 2.00
H   62 thru 92 1.01 to 1.50
I   46 thru 61 0.76 to 1.00
J   31 thru 45 0.51 to 0.75
K   30 cid and under 0.50 and under

Conversion Factor:   61.026 ci / liter

Letter (Reference Rulebook for details)
1 Electric/Turbine Vehicle Weight I
2 Electric/Turbine Vehicle Weight II
3 Electric/Turbine Vehicle Weight III
U for UDT, MDT, HH2 & HH3 Body Classes
XF Production V-8 flathead Ford/Mercury 1932-1953
XO Overhead valve & flathead inline
XXF XF with overhead valves
XXO XO engine with a speciality cylinder head
V4 Vintage pre-1935 American 4 bangers
V4F Vintage pre-1935 American 4 bangers - Flathead
M Midget Vintage Engine
W Omega Engines using a thermodynamic cycle other than Otto

NOTE:   Double Check with the actual Rulebook for details.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
omega
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2005, 01:23:55 PM »
Jack, now you have to be re-trained, trader says so, and you don't know squat.LOL Besides I think Dan W. needs to answer this anyway he writes the rule book every year.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

dwarner

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2005, 03:12:23 PM »
I was letting this one go - sometimes its funny to see the various answers.

The Omega(Greek symbol) engine class is like the turbine/steam/electric classes. There are no engine breaks and the body configuration is open. You cannot take an Otto cycle engine 2/3/4 or whatever stroke and build something out of it and call it Omega. This engine class is for non-Otto cycle engines only.

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Once again,
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2005, 06:04:32 PM »
I was clueless. I didn't understand the question so the answer never stood a chance.
I am spending a lot of my time these days dealing with "Fraction Control" so as not to disturb any "Sand Bags". LOL
The last "Steamer" I saw was the "Teapot" . It was built from a Bradley GT kit. The only Electric I had anything to do with was the Kawi Lakester I built for Wendy and after Lloyd set a record the way I built it, he made it an Electric and set another record.
I am kinda new at this and really shy.
Don't hit me.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Fraction(ation) control
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2005, 08:58:11 PM »
...nice one Jack ....I had a friend who was once charged with being "Frunk in a public place"...I suggested he contest the charge since he hadn't even been frinking.. he did his brief...and no , his name wasn't Otto , he ran resonably well on ethanol though. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

LittleLiner

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2005, 11:22:54 PM »
I suspect if you show up with a miller cycle engine in a mazda you would be put into whatever class any other supercharged 2.3 litre engine would be running depending on the body class etc.  All a Miller is is a supercharged Otto four stroke with modified intake valve timing.  They are held open for the first part of the compression stroke.  If you are really interested just google on 'mazda miller cycle' and folks smarter than I will give the details in a variety of web sites.  Near as I recall the only miller cycle mazdas in the states were the Millenia S models.  They were 2.3 litre v6 engines.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2005, 12:50:22 AM »
This Miller cycle talk reminds you of the Isky ads in the 60's about what Ed called his 5 cycle cams . I think Chet Herbert was actualy the one who came up with the idea of top fuel cams that had enough overlap to blow raw fuel past the exhaust valves to keep them from being glow plugs (Herbert cycle?). Was it Engle who had the ad in Drag News with 4 racing bicycles followed by a clown on a tricycle poking fun at Isky .