Author Topic: Goodyear Frontrunners  (Read 33054 times)

Offline fastman614

Re: Goodyear Frontrunners
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2011, 08:07:05 PM »
jl..... re reading your post on here..... were you thinking that I was referring to tire spin?..... I  was referring to the car spinning after the wide tires hydroplaned and caused the car to spin
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2011, 08:22:03 PM »
jl..... re reading your post on here..... were you thinking that I was referring to tire spin?..... I  was referring to the car spinning after the wide tires hydroplaned and caused the car to spin

The tires are not to blame, what kind of car are you referring to?  And I call BS to that hydroplaning theory.

Offline jl222

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 09:35:44 PM »
jl..... re reading your post on here..... were you thinking that I was referring to tire spin?..... I  was referring to the car spinning after the wide tires hydroplaned and caused the car to spin

I was referring to the narrow tires giving better traction, which theory we have completly blow into the pucker bushes.

This narrow tire is better BS, is also proven by other cars [in their videos] with 1/3 the power of the 222 car not able
to hook up.

Gail Banks showed us the way [and a lot of others should have got the message] in 1987 :-o

JL222
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 09:38:25 PM by jl222 »

Offline Tman

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 10:34:57 PM »
I am new here but having every tire thread hijacked by the "wider is better argument" is getting old :roll:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2011, 12:39:48 AM »
I am new here but having every tire thread hijacked by the "wider is better argument" is getting old :roll:

So is saying that they are no good and that they hydroplane.  I'm not going to let someone make a statement that is flat out wrong.  Like some say if you don't have data it's just an opinion, love that line. :-D

Offline racergeo

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2011, 01:11:14 AM »
  This thread is getting a little mean spirited :-o Just a few facts from my experience with blowing a 22-2.25-17 Goodyear at 276mph. After I cleaned my pants out I contacted Dave Farwell at Goodyear (head engineer for land speed tires) and told him of my failure and he went to his data sheet and said in testing that tire would fail after 13 seconds @270mph. He said the casing and the bead on the new 4" tire is the same. I too talked to John at M@H  and he said it is there company police to discourage there front runners at Bonneville even after I told him I believed they had gone over 300mph.
  As far as the confusion about the weight of the standand front runner vs. the land speed tire, the LS tire has 2 More plys of cord, 8 more wires in the bead but 50% less tread and 75% less rubber on the corners where they were prone to chunk. Also the heavier 23" tire was make for TF Funny Cars and is 1/2" wider and have a way heavier and stiffer carcass. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!

Offline Tman

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2011, 01:33:27 AM »
  This thread is getting a little mean spirited :-o Just a few facts from my experience with blowing a 22-2.25-17 Goodyear at 276mph. After I cleaned my pants out I contacted Dave Farwell at Goodyear (head engineer for land speed tires) and told him of my failure and he went to his data sheet and said in testing that tire would fail after 13 seconds @270mph. He said the casing and the bead on the new 4" tire is the same. I too talked to John at M@H  and he said it is there company police to discourage there front runners at Bonneville even after I told him I believed they had gone over 300mph.
  As far as the confusion about the weight of the standand front runner vs. the land speed tire, the LS tire has 2 More plys of cord, 8 more wires in the bead but 50% less tread and 75% less rubber on the corners where they were prone to chunk. Also the heavier 23" tire was make for TF Funny Cars and is 1/2" wider and have a way heavier and stiffer carcass. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!

Mean spirited? Just stating the events as how I see them. :roll: Thanks for your info from someone who is learning.  :cheers:

Offline racergeo

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2011, 02:05:12 AM »
 EEEEEEasy Tman, I was referring to others and my tongue was against my cheek :-D  I know there's nothing but love on here.               

Titter  Titter

Offline jl222

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2011, 02:35:32 AM »
  T-man... did you know that the regular #2222 10'' goodyear LSR tire was discontinued and only the narrow tires
were available?
  I thought the new 10'' tire was good news and it was only after they were dissed and narrower tires claimed to be better, that a different point of view was presented. Evidentaly something you didn't want to learn about, being new even.
  As far as I'm concerned I'm glad to see my competetion with narrow tires and my advice to you is built a high hp coupe run solid suspension with 50-50 weight bias, the narrowest tire you can find with 90 lbs of air pressure,
and don't forget the 4000 lbs of lead to hook it up,which puts you over the 1700 lb weight rating of the tires.
 Anyone else can look at our build diary and find out exactly what we do.
                     JL222

Offline Tman

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2011, 10:13:07 AM »
So, back on topic. Frontrunners. Looks like the consensus in a variety of threads is Goodyear LSRs followed by the normal GY Frontrunner and various M&H combos. Clear as mud :-D

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2011, 01:02:16 PM »
Goodyear has purpose built Land Speed Tires rated to 300 MPH,,, Those are not the "standard" Front Runners and they should not be confussed as such.

M&H, M/T, Hoosier  etc will tell you that there drag slicks and drag radials are NOT designed or tested for Land Speed Use... unless they have a specific  land speed tire then you are going to get that standard reply.

How is this confussing ?

Maybe I am lost on the intent of this thread ??  could be ??

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Tman

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2011, 02:27:23 PM »
Goodyear has purpose built Land Speed Tires rated to 300 MPH,,, Those are not the "standard" Front Runners and they should not be confussed as such.

M&H, M/T, Hoosier  etc will tell you that there drag slicks and drag radials are NOT designed or tested for Land Speed Use... unless they have a specific  land speed tire then you are going to get that standard reply.

How is this confussing ?

Maybe I am lost on the intent of this thread ??  could be ??

Charles

Charles, I am on the same page with you.  :cheers:

Offline jl222

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2011, 02:52:45 PM »

Fastman...what is this hydroplaning your talking about?

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2011, 02:07:49 PM »

Fastman...what is this hydroplaning your talking about?

JL222

Out in the pucker bushes.

JL222

Offline fastman614

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2011, 10:39:26 PM »

The tires are not to blame, what kind of car are you referring to?  And I call BS to that hydroplaning theory.

In a free society, you can call BS to whatever theory you like.... you won't fail tech with wide tires on your car and me doing the inspection..... and I am not an engineer that would have the abilty to provide whatever it takes to make themy point clear.... I know from experience a few things though.... If you know more than me.... great... I am sure that in this world there A LOT of people that know more than me.... your point is well taken on my part though.... any questions about wide tires and their general high speed usubilty, I will refer to you from now til eternity though.....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.