Author Topic: Goodyear Frontrunners  (Read 33196 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Goodyear Frontrunners
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 01:30:42 PM »
Mike,

If you want 22's go with M&H like the roadster has. Much better tire than Goodyears drag frontrunners for a front tire.  IMO.

Tom G.

http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=74&rn=288&action=show_detail

Searching through old threads and came up with another question. I saw your answer about the Dunlops or Blockelys but WOULD you run the M&Hs all the way around given the right circumstances?

Comparing Goodyear Front runners to the M&Hs in my head.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 07:02:51 PM »
This topic is an interesting one to me. The Goodyear Frontrunners for drag racing and for Bonneville are supposed to be different. So, the 28 inchers weigh within a couple of ounces of each other..... I wonder what the difference really is? And were the drag racing ones only lighter because they had 10 runs on them and thus a little bit of tire wear (a bit of lost rubber) Goodyear's website actually gives the specs on these tires including the weights... on pages 24 and 26 in the link below:

http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/pdf/Drag_MSRP_05JAN11.pdf

and what you find is surprising.... Goodyear says that the 23" drag frontrunner weighs more than the LSR frontrunner!....

Like I say... interesting
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 09:12:46 AM »
I Contacted M&H about front and rear LSR tires for Bonneville. John at M&H sent email back said "Sorry but all our tires are for Drag racing only". Thought I would share that with you guys.
Richard
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 10:00:35 AM »
Standard CYA. Just don't say anything about Bonneville when ordering. Way too many people running them at the salt and at high speed for me to be concerned. They are a "racing tire" for tech.

JMHO,  YMMV

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 12:27:30 PM »
I Contacted M&H about front and rear LSR tires for Bonneville. John at M&H sent email back said "Sorry but all our tires are for Drag racing only". Thought I would share that with you guys.
Richard

Richard, that is their "official" position, and if they are aware that you're buying their tires directly from them for LSR, they will not put the order through.   

I got mine through Summit.   
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline jl222

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 02:38:50 PM »
This topic is an interesting one to me. The Goodyear Frontrunners for drag racing and for Bonneville are supposed to be different. So, the 28 inchers weigh within a couple of ounces of each other..... I wonder what the difference really is? And were the drag racing ones only lighter because they had 10 runs on them and thus a little bit of tire wear (a bit of lost rubber) Goodyear's website actually gives the specs on these tires including the weights... on pages 24 and 26 in the link below:

http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/pdf/Drag_MSRP_05JAN11.pdf

and what you find is surprising.... Goodyear says that the 23" drag frontrunner weighs more than the LSR frontrunner!....

Like I say... interesting

Even more interesting [and great news to us] is the new #2270....10.3'' wide 300 mph tire :-D :cheers:

JL222

Offline fastman614

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 02:42:17 PM »
I ran Hoosier top fuel/pro comp dragster frontrunners (size 22-2.25X17) on my lakester for two seasons. I got into it big time at 2009 Speedweek over the use of them.... that size in particular was the issue.... as, at the BUB meet of the previous year Cliff Gullett (Godspeed, Cliff) was involved in the fatal crash of a Jack Costella bodied 2 wheel 'liner that was using a Goodyear tire of that size as a drive tire. The crash analysis was that the tire had failed and there was a tremendous amount of opinionating going on as to the legality of using that tire size at all. As a result of the foregoing, we were tagged at tech and a sticker was affixed to the car that stated Lee Kennedy was to be notified for every run we made and we were to be incrementally running the car up to top speed. We were, thankfully, licensing two drivers, so we got to do our "tire testing" while we were licensing a driver. On about the third run, we had a flat.... the initial word were that this was EXACTLY WHAT THEY WERE EXPECTING TO SEE.... of course, when it became apparent that we had run over some debris on the course and the tire had a 3/4" long cut in it, they retracted the words. I put on another spare tire that I had, refelled it with air and we had NO further problems.... about the 6th run on the car, Lee took the sticker off and signed off in our log book....

In a conversation with Hoosier, the engineer stated that their tires were equal and perhaps superior in every way to anything Goodyear made (well he worked for Hoosier- what WAS he going to say?) and that the speed ratings were every bit as high as what Goodyear rated theirs at. The conversation went on to discuss the newer, wider 17" top fuel frontrunners which are rated for a higher speed. I was doing my best to get this information prior to offering the answer to the question of "on what type of car was I using them?". I described a dragster chassis and then stated it was running at Bonneville. His reply then was to the effect that .... now hold on... we NEITHER RECOMMEND NOR RATE ANY of our tires for use at Bonneville..... so, again, we Landspeed racers are on our own with this.

There is other information that I gleaned from other sources..... the jist of which is this- the tires have static load ratings.... and even if your car on scales is well below those ratings... what part does aerodynamics and resulting downforce play on loading the tires to beyond the load ratings?.... this is a point well taken and which caused me to invest in the land speed tires from Goodyear.... And as far as I know now, SCTA-BNI will accept the new, wider top fuel tires from Goodyear for 300 mph.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2011, 02:51:08 PM »
Even more interesting [and great news to us] is the new #2270....10.3'' wide 300 mph tire 

JL222

A note of caution on this.... we ran Goodyear Talladega tires in both 27.5-1000X15 and 800/820X15s on our Vega for a few years.... we were careful to install them on rims that crowned the tread.... a non-crowned profile is a sure way of having spins.... the tire will start "hydroplaning".... think of driving on snow or ice with wide tires..... narrower, heavier loaded tires will give you better traction.... personally, that 800/20X15 is the tire size that I think goodyear should have introduced as a Landspeed tire.

Offline George Fields

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2011, 04:09:26 PM »
I have some notes from spinning a Goodyear front tire from Gene Burkland and the Montana tire spinning crew.
25" x 4.5" x 15" D2028 
After five spins starting at 3000 rpm ending at 7300 rpm where the tire blew.
7300 rpm = 619 mph x .68% safety = 421 mph.

Offline jl222

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2011, 05:17:23 PM »
Even more interesting [and great news to us] is the new #2270....10.3'' wide 300 mph tire 

JL222

A note of caution on this.... we ran Goodyear Talladega tires in both 27.5-1000X15 and 800/820X15s on our Vega for a few years.... we were careful to install them on rims that crowned the tread.... a non-crowned profile is a sure way of having spins.... the tire will start "hydroplaning".... think of driving on snow or ice with wide tires..... narrower, heavier loaded tires will give you better traction.... personally, that 800/20X15 is the tire size that I think goodyear should have introduced as a Landspeed tire.

So you think we can improve our 280 mph 21/4 and 294 3 mile speed with narrow tires?

JL222

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2011, 06:49:35 PM »
So what about M/T tires? Emailed them no answer yet. Our local M/T stores doesn't know what LSR is. Was wanting some 30"x4.5"x18" or 29"s
Richard
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline desotoman

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 07:24:53 PM »
Mike,

If you want 22's go with M&H like the roadster has. Much better tire than Goodyears drag frontrunners for a front tire.  IMO.

Tom G.

http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=74&rn=288&action=show_detail

Searching through old threads and came up with another question. I saw your answer about the Dunlops or Blockelys but WOULD you run the M&Hs all the way around given the right circumstances?

Comparing Goodyear Front runners to the M&Hs in my head.

Sorry I have never used the M&H's as a drive tire, only a front tire, so I don't know how they would be as drive tires.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011, 07:28:34 PM »
So what about M/T tires? Emailed them no answer yet. Our local M/T stores doesn't know what LSR is. Was wanting some 30"x4.5"x18" or 29"s
Richard

Richard,

Contact Tom Kundrik he is M/T's LSR tire guy, here is his email address tkundrik@mickeythompsontires.com

Tom G.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 07:30:32 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2011, 07:42:05 PM »
Thanks, Tom G
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline fastman614

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 08:02:55 PM »

JL222

So you think we can improve our 280 mph 21/4 and 294 3 mile speed with narrow tires?

JL222

jl.... the issue of tire width is not about how fast the wider or narrower tire will allow a car to go.... it is about that potential for hydroplaning with a wider tire.... spins WILL slow your speed down ... near as I can tell though.... so.... if the car with a wide tire goes into a spin.... if you are lucky enough to go through the timing traps while the car is in a spin..... you will notice that the speed of the car is much reduced.....