Author Topic: Looking for a custom set of gears....where do I go?  (Read 5364 times)

Offline Vishnuatepork

Looking for a custom set of gears....where do I go?
« on: October 13, 2010, 02:06:01 AM »
Hey all,

I know I tend to be a bit of a lurker here, and I want to say thanks for being such a wonderful resource, inspiration and home of some of the best humor on the net!

As I am going through with a rebuild of my bike, I need a new 5th gear.  Whom do I go talk to.  I cant do simple sprockets or such as its a shaft driven bike.
The local gear people here want a $10 000.00 order.

>>>>>>>>>> SERIOUSLY<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< all I need are 2 gears I dont think I need any internal splines either

so any help would be welcome

Cheers
Alan
suzuki vx800, 41mm FCR, shrink ported head, mega cycle cam, singh grooved head, custom headers, Supertapp exhaust, Ignitech ignition module, vs1400 drive hub, nology coils, magnecor wires, 12:1 cp pistons, carillo rods

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
Re: Looking for a custom set of gears....where do I go?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 12:03:16 PM »
Unfortunately most of the cost of manufacture of gears is in the initial setup and tooling. That is why they are asking so much.
It will probably cost them $5000 just to setup tooling to produce the gears whether they make 1 gear or 200 gears.
Top quality custom gears are very expensive as a result.

Can you find the right gear ratios and sizes in another application?
It might be easier to fabricate new gears from some other application and adapt them to your application than to commission custom gears.
You might also poke around and see if some other application uses a gear set that would be drop in replacements. Sometimes you get lucky.

Larry

Offline tedgram

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 12:22:06 PM »
Years ago I drag raced a Honda V-65, I found a lower geared differential from another Honda shaft driven bike.
Do some research on your manufactures shaft driven bikes, you may find a different gear ratio that will bolt right up.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 12:48:59 PM »
You might also see if you can swap around some gears in the transmission. I think some BMW guys did that.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Vishnuatepork

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 03:03:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I do have a rear diff from a different bike - from a Suzuki VS1400 Intruder 2.69 vs the stock 3.09)
I do have a 5th gear already installed from a Suzuki m50 (.804 vs stock .81)( approx, as I am away from my home data base right now), it helps but I need to reduce the rpm a bit more to get peak hp at xxx mph.

I have figured that most of the Suzuki transmissions are the same therefore (spacing of shafts) I have been looking for a Suzuki Madura transmission for 18 months, they have a nice .75 ratio on their 6th gear,...not found one yet.  I am also trying to track down an EU spec secondary gear, as its 31:30 vs USA spec 30:30...3% isnt much but its about what I need.  Considering it may cost $500  I am not put off.... It cost me that much plus a little more to get the drive hub modified and installed....
Could anyone tell me what kind of steel might be used for this kind of application?

Cheers
Alan
suzuki vx800, 41mm FCR, shrink ported head, mega cycle cam, singh grooved head, custom headers, Supertapp exhaust, Ignitech ignition module, vs1400 drive hub, nology coils, magnecor wires, 12:1 cp pistons, carillo rods

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 04:20:03 PM »
Billy Robinson from Robinson Engineering built all of the billet gears for our turbo ZX11 trans... he's a good guy...
http://www.robinsonindustriesinc.com/
Kent

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 06:06:18 PM »
you might check here:

http://www.mpe07.co.uk/

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 10:34:19 PM »
 I have used both Weismann and Action Gear and Broaching for one off gears.  Weismann is building some one off LSR gears for my transaxle. If you are in SoCal its even easier as they are across the street from each other.  Tony

http://www.weismann.net

http://goactiongear.com
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 01:09:12 AM »
Years ago I had a shaft drive Yamaha.  The easiest way to change the gearing was to fit on a different size rear wheel.  An advantage of this is that it is a quick way to change the gearing.  It can be done at trackside. 

Offline Vishnuatepork

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 01:39:51 AM »
Thanks for the links guys, I'll try to follow up this week.

wobblywalrus,

I have looked at that option too, to get an 18 or 19" rear wheel (I have the largest 17" Suzuki makes, negating the 8" wide 18" from the M109) would cost me about 1700 from Performance Machine ( it think it was them). At that price I would prefer a transmission.  Maybe a 6 speed?

Cheers
Alan

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 10:15:17 AM »
I assume that the gear is a straight cut gear not a helix, I have seen special spur gears  that were cut on a CNC wire EDM machine . Nice thing about doing it this way is that they were able to heat treat the gear blank before they cut the gear and then no post heat treating after making the gear teeth. They told me the accuracy was within .0001 inches. You would need to provide the machine programmer with detailed dimension data of the gear. Probably not cheap.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline tedgram

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 01:10:03 PM »

I have looked at that option too, to get an 18 or 19" rear wheel (I have the largest 17" Suzuki makes, negating the 8" wide 18" from the M109) would cost me about 1700 from Performance Machine ( it think it was them). At that price I would prefer a transmission.  Maybe a 6 speed?

Cheers
Alan
[/quote]

I have an 18 inch Performance Machine wheel with a custom hub for a Honda shaft drive, spline section just bolts on.

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 08:16:50 PM »
There is a machine shop in K.C. Missouri That I had make me a couple of pinion gears for a planetary on a machine for me. They charged me like $500. They also make Nascar transmission gears. I guess there still there its been a couple of years. If you want I can see if I can find their name and #.
Rick
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8