Author Topic: Another vintage project from Great Britain, target Speed Week 2011  (Read 133763 times)

Offline thefrenchowl

Hi everybody,

Thought it was about time I started a diary of my build, dspite the fact I still haven't got an engine for it...

Nevertheless, I started work on the cycle parts about a month ago and slowly getting through all the bits that I have or that are required...

I've been in touch with Tom, the SCTA tech man, he's been most helpful so far...

Also been reading about Desparate and Octane builds, they have given me a bit of insight for where I'm trying to go...

These cycle parts... The frame was done from my drawings some 20 years ago by a friend who worked at Kooter Brown, David Lindley. It used to house my 1954 KHK engine, then some old Sportsters. I haven't used it for a few years now, just about time it saw some action again!!!

I resurected from the shelves an H-D KR spool front wheel, all period and still with an -60R alloy rim, few stainless steel spacers done on my Myford lathe to fit in the Ceriani front end.

The back wheel is from a Metisse kit which is the 1st ever bit I bought when I arrived from France in GB back in 1985, it came with numerous alloy sprokets.

The plan is to built a KH engine for it and run a APS/VBF bike, on methanol, I'm just about to order the supercharger once I'm satisfied with my boost calculations!!!

Patrick

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 08:38:40 AM by thefrenchowl »
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
Re: Another vintage project from Great Britain, target Speed Week 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 09:13:29 AM »
Nice one Patrick,Kooter Browns I aint heard that name in a very long time,I got a 5X16 rim for a chop I built in the very early 80s of Kooters I seem to remember they had a pub bar as a counter!
Tidy frame it should be good!!
Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 10:55:41 AM »
Very cool project!  :cheers:

I know its early, but what are your plans for the fairing? Will you stay with the KR theme and run KR style road race body work?
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 10:57:13 AM »
Yep, OZ, knew them cause they were in a small shop in Stoke on Trent near a bike machinist that did bits for me, that's where I met Dave, he was as mad with fast Sportsters as I am...

They then moved to Sandbach near where I live but went bust in that late 80s depression...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 11:09:46 AM »
Hi, Beairsto,

No, my pockets are not deep enough for replica KRTT stuff!!!

But I've also had for years a moded top fairing of a Velo Thruxton, I see one can still get the top and front screens so I'll probably go fot that...

Here it is, about 1992, on my old 59 CH, long gone... The bike fell one day in the garage, broke both screens...

Also have a replica Daytona KRTT tank, but a tad too big for Bonneville (6 1/2 gallons)!!!

Patrick

Flat Head Forever

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 11:57:16 AM »
For replacement windscreens of just about any style -- check for Gustafsson Windscreens (I think that's the proper name) on a search engine.  The firm is in St. Petersburg, Florida -- will make anything you want.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 01:13:17 PM »
The plan is to built a KH engine for it and run a APS/VBF bike, on methanol, I'm just about to order the supercharger once I'm satisfied with my boost calculations!!!

Patrick

Looking gooooood !

Patrick: check your e-mail !

PS: what supercharger do you plan on using ?

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 02:54:06 PM »
Great looker Patrick!   Haven't been in Sandbach in 40 years.  Last time was to pick up some parts from ERF.  Between you and Octane and Desperate there will be a flathead infestation on the salt!!  The best of luck with the build.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 03:42:16 PM »
Hi, Nortonist 592... You're the man with the laydown sidecar, right?

ERF are long gone, it's all flats now... Foden the same...

I'm looking at a small AMR 500 lobe supercharger... Really wanted a small Rotrex (impeller type with roller planetary drive) but can't find any second hand...

Collected a few bits from my fav machinist...

Methanol tap, has to close automatically if I fall and control from the handlebars... Tall order, drawn a few designs, it got simpler and simpler as it went!!! The basis is a S/S Swagelok 3/8th valve

Result:

Spring return, cable operated from a twin cable throttle mounted on the left hand side clip-on. The cable will pass through it and the lanyard underneath to hold it open. I also plan to put a micro switch on the back of the tap to kill the ignition when the valve closes.

See you all,

Patrick

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 04:01:50 PM by thefrenchowl »
Flat Head Forever

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 04:24:13 PM »
Excellent! Patentable, DYT?
I'll bet Pingel, etc. would pay something for the rights.

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 05:59:08 PM »
 :-D Jeff!!!

The valve cost me £60.00, about $90.00... Tried to do the same on way cheaper other valves, but they're just too stiff and would require a huge return spring to overcome the static pressure... Can't see much return on my meager money to go the patent route!!!

I've got a good arrangement with my fav machinist, the alloy bit just costs some of my time to do his electrics when needed, we keep a log!!! But it must be 2 or 3 hours!!! I'll have to finish it and make the bracket for the spring holder, cable and switch, will have to borrow again the TIG welder at work...

Since you've got a page on supercharger on your site, here's a question...

Whatever I've read on supercharging, mostly OHV, very little on SV, guys seems to favor big lobe units so they spin them at engine speed or slightly lower... They then seem to agree that it's not so good on a Vee twin due to not enough pulses per engine rev... I'm planning to run mine way faster than the engine, so more pulses per rev and smaller "plenum" volume... I never ran a supercharger in me life, but got enough methanol experience from my sprinting days... So I'm open to any suggestions!

Patrick
Flat Head Forever

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 09:38:43 PM »
Laydown sidecar.  Thats me.  Sorry to hear ERF and Foden are gone.  Sandbach is such a nice place.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 10:38:22 PM »
In reference to a micro switch on the fuel tap.  Motorcycle fuel taps can be leak prone.  Also, if any fuel leaks out of the cap or breather it can flow down the tank side and down on the outside of the tap.  Possibly, if it can easily be done another way, it might be a good idea put the micro switch somewhere away from the tap.  Less chance of spark ignited fire. 

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 12:12:53 AM »
Hmmmn I once met a very 'interesting'  :-D Frenchman called Patrick at my good friend Richards Garage in Sandbach......

Smithy Garage..... Behind the Military Arms  :cheers:

Graham ......... Now in Aus.....

:wink:

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 02:13:01 AM »
wobblywalrus: In reference to a micro switch on the fuel tap

It's actually a kill switch for the magneto so should be safe enough... If not, most XL based bikes would be banned since the magneto is underneath the carburettor!!!

Nortonist 592, you pointed me in SCTA's Tom's direction from another forum, t'was most helpful, thanks again!!!

Graham, yes, that's me, small world indeed... Richard's still there and doing allright. He's not racing much these days, but mostly acts as pit crew for his sons' racing karts!!!

Patrick
Flat Head Forever