Author Topic: To N2O or Not on my "E" Motor  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
To N2O or Not on my "E" Motor
« on: October 01, 2010, 09:40:53 PM »
My motor man and me had a long talk and he said for Bonneville we should be OK N/A on Gas.. but I would really like to make the 200 Club at Maxton and think I need a power adder ?  For Loring, I feel I can get 200 on just gas.

Just thinking out loud for now,,, not used N2O in 20 years,,, and when I did I had explosive results !!!!

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: To N2O or Not on my "E" Motor
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 10:58:39 PM »
Have a chat with Charles Nearbergs mechanic.... he used a little N20 to go over 4, said he had about 65 seconds worth on board. 

I held the button for 58... of course that was after thousands of dollars worth of experience...  :roll: 

LSR aint drag racing...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 11:49:50 PM »
The problem I see is people consider nitrous to be a cheap alternative for more HP. It certainly is easy to run a tube to the intake and connect a solenoid and call it good. Fact is that if you are going to use it, the motor should be built with the same attention to detail ($) as a blower motor. I see people take a motor designed to run gas and put a big of a shot of spray without spending the needed cash to do it right often ending with catastrophic results. (*not saying this is what you did RS)

I fully believe that if a motor is built with the intent that spray is used, with the technology available today with progressive contorlers, computer controled wet systems and data logging you can safely make as much HP with spray as a blown counterpart. 

.....but it wont be any cheaper in the end.

~JH

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 09:51:44 AM »

I held the button for 58... of course that was after thousands of dollars worth of experience...  :roll: 

LSR aint drag racing...

All, I can save you a lot of cash... don't listen to the companies that made N20 equipment 15 years ago...

The problem I see is people consider nitrous to be a cheap alternative for more HP. It certainly is easy to run a tube to the intake and connect a solenoid and call it good. Fact is that if you are going to use it, the motor should be built with the same attention to detail ($) as a blower motor...

I fully believe that if a motor is built with the intent that spray is used, with the technology available today with progressive contorlers, computer controled wet systems and data logging you can safely make as much HP with spray as a blown counterpart. 

~JH

If you read the past posts on N20 you will see a resounding theme... test ... test ... test
Know what you are putting in your motor and how you are putting it in there. 
If you are going to push for a minute, know the solenoids you are using won't freeze open, that kills the motor after the successful run...
Weigh everything you are putting in, you will go through a lot of N20, test in a small room, maybe it will make the cost happier to bear....  :-D
Oh, and if you have a cylinder starting to lose compression a little at a time, check the distance to the piston, the seal is not going away, the rod is....  :|  A Carrillo will bend until if won't fit between the counterweights on the crank...  :roll:

My motor man and me had a long talk and he said for Bonneville we should be OK N/A on Gas.. but I would really like to make the 200 Club at Maxton and think I need a power adder ?  For Loring, I feel I can get 200 on just gas.

Just thinking out loud for now,,, not used N2O in 20 years,,, and when I did I had explosive results !!!!

Charles

Yep technology has come a long way in 20 years.... but you still have to put up with N20 if you are going to use it
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline krusty

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 05:12:27 PM »
Charles - When the Loose Screw boys set the E/CGAlt and E/CFAlt records, they ran on gas to 212.886 and fuel (gas + N20) to 219.909. That's a gain of 7 mph with spray.  If their gain is representative of a 550 hp (on gas) E engine, do you think your car can only run 193 on gas in the mile? Could be a fairly expensive quest for a 200 mph time slip. Myself, I'd KNOW that i couldn't do it on gas before I'd  be spraying ( and then paying the for the rebuild). But then, I'm a frugal SOB.  YMMV   vic

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 06:41:50 PM »
Vic,  I am going to play with the gearing and tune some more... I feel darn confident that I can go 200mph at Loring and Bonneville,,,, but not sure the little "E" on gas can get up to speed that fast in just a Mile at Maxton.

I will have all next year to try.

See ya soon....

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 01:43:47 AM »
Charles, a friend that I meet every year at B'ville uses nitrous with good results on his Buell.  He is an old guy and he is not in a hurry.  He started out using very little nitrous.  He figured out the metering hardware, etc with this very small dose.  The next year he would use just a little bit more.  The next year, he would use a tiny bit more than before.  During all of this he kept a watch on the engine to make sure everything was OK.  Patience is the key to his success.