Author Topic: Motorcycle Helmet Selection  (Read 13072 times)

Offline bearingburner

Re: Motorcycle Helmet Selection
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 06:48:22 PM »
I've seen new Snell2005 helmets listed for 1/2 price.

Offline WWWMCLEANSRACINGCOM

• New folks
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2011, 07:09:56 PM »
I crash tested a HJC in 2005 on the street @ over 135mph. I went down on my left side and smacked my head hard enough to bust the helmet and visor fly off.And a Shoei when I high sided a CBR at around 100 mph in 2007, The bike landed on my head and smashed me up but both helmets did more than i could have ask of them.My buddy Sam crashed at high speed last summer on a CBR 1000, A high side with a KBC and after looking at his gear and seeing him crash I have one in my race bag, Great price on the KBC, And after seeing the price and the results of a real world crash I trust it on my head, Just make sure you get a snell,Were as they make some thats not.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2011, 08:41:13 PM »
To go over ground I've trodden before:

When you're shopping for a helmet you can go to the Snell Foundation website and see listings of each manufacturer's helmets that are tested and rated by Snell, right down to the model and (I think) sizes.  Make sure the one you're thinking of buying is on that list.

When you purchase the helmet - be sure to specify that it must be Snell rated 20XX (fill in with your choice of year).  I once bought helmets from one of the online places.  I waited until the model I wanted was now listed in the Snell listing for the newest cert -- but didn't specify on the order.  Sure enough, I got one that was five years old (by rating, at least).  When I asked/complained, I was told they were selling the old stock first before moving on to the newer-rated models.  If I had specified on the order I would have had recourse -- as it was -- I was SOL.

And when you get the helmet that you've specified must be of such-and-such Snell vintage -- dig deep 'til you find the Snell cert. sticker.  They are NOT what you might see on the outside of the helmet, but rather are on the inside of the helmet, well-hidden (usually) under the padded lining.  You'll have to dig to find it, but whether you want to dig that deep or not -- your helmet inspector in the tech line WILL dig for it.  You woudln't want a nasty surprise, would you?  By the further way, the Snell cert. sticker is a rotogravure-process printed label -- that is, on shiny metallic foil and usually pretty difficult to read in the dark confines of the helmet.  But if the helmet is Snell rated -- that sticker will be there and will give you the date.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 01:14:29 AM »
Usually I go to a shop with a lot of helmets and try on the ones in my size that meet the safety requirements.  Then I pick the lightest one.  I figure there is less strain on my neck with the light one when I am flopping down the salt during the big crash. 

Offline RansomT

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 10:07:28 AM »
Since I did the orginal post, I figure I should give a follow-up on what I've done.

I worked with Scorpion Sports and recieved a Snell 2005 helmet that was manufactured in late 2010.  The helmet size is an XL with a large size shell.  The 700 series uses the same shell upto an XL, then it goes up a size.  Probably the best fitting helmet that I have ever owned.  But, I'm still questioning the shell size.

If the helmet works out, it should be good until the close of the season in 2015.