Author Topic: Motorcycle Helmet Selection  (Read 13092 times)

Offline RansomT

Motorcycle Helmet Selection
« on: October 01, 2010, 12:34:15 PM »
With the new rules and expiration of my Snell 2000 helmet, it has come time to start the process for a purchase of a new helmet.

Back in 2002, I looked long and hard for a helmet that had a “smaller” shell that allowed me to get behind the stock wind screen of a Busa.  I lucked into one.  However, I don’t believe that I will be that lucky this time.

How do y’all plan on looking for helmets or how do you?

I can tell you that I have a newer style Shoei  (2XL) that has a melon sized shell and has no chance of getting out of the wind.  Comfortable for cruising around, but will shake you off the bike in a full tuck at speed.

Offline davidd

• New folks
Re: Motorcycle Helmet Selection
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 08:28:04 PM »
My philosophy on helmets is to start with the Snell qualified ones and try on the cheapest helmet. As long as it is certified Snell, the more expensive helmets only supply more options or fancy paint. I test for fit and that is it. I have been using the $115 HJC C-15 for several years. If I hit the ground I throw the helmet away and  buy a new one. That is difficult to do if you are paying $300-$600 for a helmet. I think of it as cheap insurance.

If you have fitting problems you may be stuck with more expensive helmets. Good luck,

David

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 08:52:03 PM »
Cheap helmets are to protect cheap contents. (if you have a $25 head buy a $25 helmet)

I would look for a current Snell Certification first, then the quality of materials used, then the fit, finish and lastly any options and paint scheme.

When I was a bike guy, I had done a lot of research on helmets and my top 4 Snell M rated helmets in order of price for good quality and features.
Aria , Shoei , Bell, HJC  I have used all 4 brands and feel you would be well protected with a top model from any of these 4 manufacturers.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 09:30:32 PM »
If you'd like to do it this way -- it'll help.  go to the Snell Foundation website.  They've got a list of all the helmets they've certified -- including not just by brand, but also by size.  Keep that reference available while you're shopping for the other attributes you want.

And if you order online or by mail -- please consider stipulating that the helmet you receive must carry the Snell cert. that you want (that is, if you want a 2010 sticker in there - don't let them substitute an older one 'cause they're "moving old stock first").

Nancy and I got caught that way -- I don't want anyone else to have that scam foisted upon them.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 09:52:32 PM »
One thing that I have been looking for (and not able to find) is a tall front opening so I could see ahead while in a tuck. When you are in a tuck, it is hard to bend your neck enough to see straight ahead. It seems like all the helmets have equal sized openings. Maybe it is a DOT regulation or something. Anyway, while you are shopping consider that you have to be able to see ahead while bent over.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline k.h.

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 11:18:42 PM »
Zeus ZS-3000 helmet.  Interesting, flip-up with Snell cert.  Can't find a dealer in the US, but am hoping to obtain one before next season.  We shall see.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 12:44:17 AM »
You might want to check with Tom Evans first. I believe I overheard him say flip-ups are not legal.
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 06:46:38 AM »
My current expiring this year $25 on closeout helmet, yes an exact replacement for the one I crashed in and proved worthy also has a larger eye port. I believe the measurement was 144mm. It's a Z1R plain vanilla helmet. I haven't been able to find anyone advertising a larger eyeport anymore. My plan is to hit up a bunch of motorcycle dealers & the winter motorcycle show with my tape measure and maybe even my fish (N2O)  scale this time to check the eyeport opening and the weight. I'll be looking for a Snell 2010 since I can finally get a smaller outer shell under the new rules instead of a mans size shell with extra padding. I expect it to be a painful process. I'm hopeful I can find something I can get through one of our suppliers (ie at cost) or online cheap because I hate spending a lot on a helmet. I find that the inner cushions tend to shrink up and in a years time I need it replaced for proper fit anyway. If it's cheap enough I pass it on to someone with a slightly bigger noggin or use it for the street & get a new one for racing.

If I find anything good in my search I'll post it up here & would greatly appreciate if everyone else would do the same!
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 12:21:36 PM »
The Cycle Gear store near me has a pretty good selection of Arai, Shoei and HJC helmets. I've used their store before to decide what brand & model that works for me, before I order one on line. Arai once did this but went back to selling through distributors, but Harley is the only  place that requires you to come into a store and have the proper one fitted - you can't order one through the mail. Like everything else Harley, the manufacture is out sourced and at least one of their producers is AGV- a pretty good product.

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
I did not know AGV was still around,,, heck years and years back I saw a test where an AGV helmet was hit by a LAWS  Rocket and the shell remained intact ...

I am glad the helmet survived the impact, but can you imagine the headache !!!!

Charles
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 08:48:13 PM »
I have a long time old fashioned affection for Bell helmets ... I think I have owned 6 of them going back to the 60-s .... I surfed the net for the last one 5 years ago and got a good deal on it ... tough to beat a Bell ...

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 08:59:05 PM »
I have a long time old fashioned affection for Bell helmets ... I think I have owned 6 of them going back to the 60-s .... I surfed the net for the last one 5 years ago and got a good deal on it ... tough to beat a Bell ...

LOL, I've been thinking the same thing. I bought a Star the first year they came out. It was way too hot for desert racing though. One thing I did notice this year. The new Bell Stars have the little ducktail and really eliminate wind buffeting. But, when you try and lay your head down flat on the tank the ducktail really gets into the wind. So, my only option was to keep looking where I was going... Kinda takes the fun out of it...    :roll:
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 07:18:42 AM »

Joe, I too am a Bell guy from way back.. My current car Helmet is a Bell BR1 (Racer Series) SA2005 and is still good for 5 more years.  Once the new SA2010 Helmets are available I need to get a new one that has the Air Intakes for my Helmet Cooling System,, I am looking at Bell and Simpson as they are fully compatible with the cooling system. 

See you in 3 weeks,

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline White Monster

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 09:39:37 AM »
Snell Certified Helmets Listing
Things you should know about Snell certification ....
 :wink:

http://www.smf.org/cert.html

M2010 - For Use with Motorcycles
This Standard addresses the problem of protecting the head from direct impact with surfaces or objects that might be encountered in a motorcycling accident.   This 2010 Standard establishes performance characteristics suitable for motorcycling and for use with other open motorized vehicles in which the driver and passengers may not be enclosed such as boats, motorized carts, all-terrain vehicles and snowmobiles.

SA2010 - For Use in Competitive Automotive Sports
This Standard addresses the problem of protecting the head from direct impact with surfaces or objects that might be encountered in a racing accident.  Since auto racing drivers are frequently unable to escape quickly from accident involved vehicles, their helmets must also provide a measure of protection against fire.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:52:00 AM by White Monster »
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 12:19:53 PM »
Charles, I hadn't thought about it but the AGV was bought maybe ten years ago (and the last one bought from a Harley shop). It is a very heavy helmet. I've wanted a Bell since I couldn't afford one in the early '70s. The only ones I've seen in stores were pretty flimsy but they were the half helmets--pretty much for a target group not very interested in head protection. If anyone knows about head shape, sizing, models and good suppliers, please let me know. OK I know about my head shape - it's long and very lumpy.